Proof that Kylo Ren is one of the best written villains of all time

AdamNV87

Original Poster
I thought about putting this in the ongoing Star Wars episode 9 thread, but decided this needed its own discussion.

As we are currently a few months out from Rise of Skywalker's release, something has occurred to me recently reading online comments and conversations about the upcoming sequel. Leaving aside the love/hate debates on Star Wars after TLJ, one of the biggest questions people seem the most interested in is: What will Kylo Ren do next? What will his endgame be in episode 9?

While I have noticed more indifference toward some of the other main characters, people still seem strongly interested in the uncertainty of Kylo's resolve. That level of mystery to his character's future intentions and instability of his mental state leads me to believe that it was a win for Lucasfilm in his character development.

Not since the grandfather which Kylo idolizes have we seen a villain with as big a question mark on his head going into the final movie of a trilogy. Think about other popular movie franchises of the past few decades. No other villain has been so debated as to what they'll do next. Months out from the final Harry Potter movie, we all pretty much knew Voldemort would be Voldemort... and he would be defeated somehow. Whether or not you knew anything of the books, that was pretty straightforward and expected. The same with President Snow for The Hunger Games movies, Sauron in Lord Of The Rings, Thanos, so on and so on. You could expect them to be bad and that was that.

But what Kylo possesses is that level of uncertainty and instability both in emotion and mental state which makes him an extra peculiar puzzle to solve, which, to sum this all up, makes one great written villain. Unpredictability can be the most frightening asset for a nemesis to possess. So far, Kylo has mastered that art of unpredictability. If you ask me now how I think his story will unfold in Rise Of Skywalker, I wouldn't know where to begin guessing, based on what we've seen so far. That's a great villain.

Agree? Disagree?

Last edited:

AdamNV87

Original Poster
Kylo is a whiny little B. He has annoyed me from day one. Poor baby didn’t get enough loving or whatever so he has to be a jerk and kill everyone.

Weak.
But what you see as weak, I see as threatening.

His constant, "about to snap" personality seems to me far more unsettling than the predictable bad guy tropes. Kylo is like a ticking time bomb, and you can never tell if he's going to side with you or try to kill you.

brideck

From a story perspective, Kylo Ren is the Skywalker that this new trilogy is really about, unless they totally back away all together from the developments of The Last Jedi. If you're not interested in what's going to happen to him ultimately, you might be paying attention to the wrong thing.

Epcot_Imagineer

Kylo has been built up to have some of the best potential as a villain in the Star Wars franchise. I knew this thread was going to turn into the two camps of "He's the worst", or "He's great", so I thought I'd get in before it turned ugly.

champdisney

Kylo Ren is a great villain with beautifully written motives. Inspired by his grandfather Darth Vader yet devoted to succeed in the areas where Vader did not - ruling the galaxy. In Rise of Skywalker, it’ll be interesting to see how he’s handling his new political powers and if he got any stronger with the Force, being that he has no master to guide him.

AdamNV87

Original Poster
Disagree that this warranted its own thread.
Sorry.

I almost didn't, and was going to put this in the Star Wars 9 thread. But as my original post showed, when I start to monologue, it can go on and on and on... :facepalm:

And with a new trailer (hopefully) imminent now that the expo is in progress, I figured this topic would soon get buried without much in-depth discussion.

champdisney

I just don't see it. He comes across as a whiny boy-man and can't hold a candle to Vader or the Emperor. But to each their own.
I agree entirely. Kylo will always come across as the Skywalker playing second fiddle to Granddaddy Vader.

What I find fascinating is the fact that he's trying. The entity that is Darth Vader, combined with the immense power he has is too much for someone to duplicate or surpass. Even Palpatine couldn't be topped because... of Snoke and the epic failure that he is.

AdamNV87

Original Poster
because... of Snoke and the epic failure that he is.
Darth Maul suffered the same injury as Snoke and turned out fine in Solo. Maybe we'll see a RoboSnoke appear in Ep. 9 with mechanical legs.

(I kid. That would be terrible. And "RoboSnoke" just sounds unpleasant. )

Joesixtoe

Kylo being the whiny grandchild I think is part of what the writers are going for. I think it's great that they play off this, it really adds to his character. They could have just done another baddie like they did with Snoke imitating the Emperor. Instead they said hey let's make this guy play dress up like the baddest jedi hunter there ever was... it makes him look vulnerable, and sad..

Joesixtoe

And Kylo is a Solo, I dont buy him being the Skywalker of this trilogy.. if anything Leia is since she is a Skywalker.. it could be her Rise in the movie

erasure fan1

Kylo will always come across as the Skywalker playing second fiddle to Granddaddy Vader.
To be fair, most every villain, from any movie, plays second fiddle to Vader.

I liked Kylo best in force awakens. I'm not as big of a fan of no mask Kylo. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of Drivers acting style. So I'm glad we will be seeing more masked kylo in ep9 from what it looks like. I do think he has been one of the stronger parts of the sequels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom