Proof of Vaccination or Negative COVID Test required for theme parks soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevek

What you’re not going to do is question my intelligence. That kind of disrespect is something I won’t tolerate.

The rest of your post is not worth responding to, as I’ve already done that. Keep on not caring and worry about yourself. Have a good day.
Time for you to use the ignore function. This person clearly crossed the line.

lazyboy97o

What side effects and risks are there for this vaccine? There's literally a 0.0000006% rate of serious adverse side effects to the vaccine. I'm also curious how there's going to be long term side effects if apparently the vaccine doesn't last for a long time either. I thought people were waiting for the vaccine to be FDA approved to take it, but now that it is they just say they don't trust the FDA. Sounds like goal posts being moved and people just don't want to admit that they don't plan on taking the vaccine.
“Long term side effects” (a phrase that is intentionally used to confuse possible rare side effects that last a long time and with one’s that occur months to years later) is an anti-vaxxer lie that has been told for years about every vaccine, including ones that are decades old and have been administered to 90% of the population. For years though these lies have been respected as a “difference of opinion” and because they have yet to really threaten public health. Now though we are seeing how much these lies have permeated popular culture. It’s a thing people have heard without retort and just accepted there must be some truth to the idea, even reasonable people who aren’t repeating pretty much every lie about COVID-19.

I've never been a fan of the government mandating / forcing things that aren't necessary, but this vaccine given this GLOBAL PANDEMIC is something that I would deem a necessary use of power. The same way the government mandates that you're not allowed to drink and drive because it endangers not only yourself but innocent people around you, just like being unvaccinated endangers you and innocent people around you.
There is an entire list of vaccines that are effectively required even without a pandemic. Some of those vaccines are for diseases that have even been eliminated in the United States. You don’t though hear people complain about how they are oppressed because they can no longer get polio.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

To the extent there is a spurious relationship between rate of vaccination and race the onus is on federal, state and local governments to promote the vaccine in these hard-hit communities.

The role of private industry (from Disneyland to your local pizza parlor) is to enact these regulations that are in place to promote the public health. Allowing any sub-population (regardless of race/ethnicity) to remain unvaccinated for “optics” also means that said sub-population will be at a higher rate of hospitalization and death if they were granted a mass vaccine exception to the rule.

A vaccine mandate is not ideal but in the current environment it is intended to serve as another tool to push the vaccine hesitant to get vaccinated and is supported by industry as a means to help prevent outbreaks (and provide the legal cover) in the event of future COVID flare ups at their facilities in the future.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

There is an entire list of vaccines that are effectively required even without a pandemic. Some of those vaccines are for diseases that have even been eliminated in the United States. You don’t though hear people complain about how they are oppressed because they can no longer get polio.
And I bet many of us had vaccination cards, or “passports,” as children as well. I still have mine from childhood that I was required to bring with me to the college campuses I attended classes on as proof that I was vaccinated. My mom and I actually just recently found my uncle’s vaccination card from the 1960s.

I don’t recall the students at my schools making a big fuss over having to provide proof of vaccinations so they could take courses.

MoonRakerSCM

Also, I'll add, users on here need to stop attempting to silence other users by labelling them things such as race baiters. It's rude, honestly offensive, and counterproductive to the discussion.

The implications of vaccine passports reach far and wide from racial background, class background, and other factors. It has deep potential in many aspects of our lives/society and is being discussed everywhere within government, academia, and the general public. Calling people names on here for discussing any aspect of it is downright ridiculous on a discussion board topic that is specific to potential themepark entry requirements.

MoonRakerSCM

First off, lets establish California is a "MESS" and anything they do is completely "out of the norm" for the rest of the country! DL will come up with what is best for DL.
This is true! I just got back from a trip to South Dakota and it was fantastic there! People all asking how we deal with California and if it was nice to be in a place without idiotic restrictions. My friend wore her mask in most places and people didn't think anything of it. Her body, her choice.

Nirya

If I'm not mistaken, Florida has a ban on vaccine passports, which would prohibit Disney from implementing one at WDW. Given how Disneyland and WDW have taken identical precautions, I do not expect Disneyland to implement a vaccine passport unless the state of California required one. To this point, however, no state in the Union has implemented a statewide vaccine passports, as far as I know, making such an idea absolutely radical and outrageous.
Someone should tell Disney about Florida’s ban then…

They’re not the only cruise company operating out of Florida to implement this. Carnival is as well.

SoFloMagic

Someone should tell Disney about Florida’s ban then…

They’re not the only cruise company operating out of Florida to implement this. Carnival is as well.
But the ruling was for one specific industry. And even after the law was overturned it wasn't until the Bahamas banned unvaxed pax from stepping foot on castaway cay that they made this call.

lazyboy97o

But the ruling was for one specific industry. And even after the law was overturned it wasn't until the Bahamas banned unvaxed pax from stepping foot on castaway cay that they made this call.
The arguments in the preliminary ruling are not just focused on the cruise industry. The ruling covered everything from the state’s lack of evidence of a problem, inconsistency within the law itself, the law’s contradiction with other state laws and even the First Amendment. Even Disney’s employee vaccine requirement was cited.

Parteecia

THE QUESTION​

Can a private company issue a vaccine mandate for their customers?

THE ANSWER​

Yes, private companies can mandate vaccines for their customers because it is not considered discrimination against a protected class.

WHAT WE KNOW​

Our legal experts said that private companies are legally allowed to require proof of vaccination for their customers.
"Yes, they can do that," said Gostin. "It's not unlawful at all... You've seen it throughout the pandemic, and even before the pandemic -- No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service. They can add vaccinations to that."
A private company cannot ban service in a discriminatory way, targeting a protected class. But, this does not apply to those who choose to be unvaccinated.
"The only limitation that I have is they can't discriminate against you because of your race, or your sex, or your sexual orientation, or your disability," said Gostin. "But they can certainly set reasonable safety conditions for shoppers."
Our experts said that this also applies to venues, like concert halls.
"Just like - you know - I can scan you for weapons, or I can prohibit you from smoking, or even prohibit you from coming in drunk," said Gostin. "You're posing a risk to their other clients. You're literally exposing them to a deadly disease."

TP2000

Let’s talk about the real issues surrounding why Latinos and African Americans aren’t getting vaccinated at high rates. Let’s get to the roots, the actual social problems regarding this topic. Not being able to walk inside a Denny’s to eat a Grand Slam or walk into Disneyland to meet people in fuzzy costumes are the least of our concerns.

Okay. Do you have any ideas on how you can get the Black community in SoCal mobilized to their local CVS? Because they need to get there. Or, is there any Latino here who can offer some insight into getting the Latino community to their local CVS? Because they need to get there too!

The data, as uncomfortable as it may make some folks here, remains the hard truth...

Los Angeles County - Late August
Asians = 79% Fully Vaccinated
Whites = 68% Fully Vaccinated
Latinos = 59% Fully Vaccinated
Blacks = 49% Fully Vaccinated

Orange County - Late August
Whites = 72% Fully Vaccinated
Asians = 64% Fully Vaccinated
Blacks = 53% Fully Vaccinated
Latinos = 38% Fully Vaccinated

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

You've yet to explain why pointing out these specific races is important when literally everyone has access to a free vaccination. People, regardless of color, are making personal choices that will impact their ability to experience certain things. Whether they are black, white, or brown really should make zero difference and pointing racial differences (not inequalities) around vaccination rates and the impact on their ability to experience something is race baiting pure and simple.

As an early proponent here of getting vaccinated, I agree with you that everyone has access to the vaccines.

But if you feel that way, then California and it's various counties should not be tracking race on all of its public Covid websites.

And yet it's always right there on the front page of these government sites. They track it. They want you to know they track it. They want you to notice it, so they put it as a prominent feature of the information they track regarding Covid vaccines.

That's the only reason I even know about it, and thus I brought it up. It's pushed in front of your nose every time you access the government Covid websites.

LAC_race_projection (3).png

TP2000

All this said, I still don't think this will get out of Sacramento before they all go home for the year on September 10th.

And if they do send it to the governor's desk, he's not signing it before September 14th.

But I think they will spare him the agony of that and just not get it out of the Legistlature this year. Check back in 2022.

Californian Elitist

To be fair to me, I don't know that I actually expressed any specific concern. (although I do have some). I merely relayed the actual demographic data and hard facts behind this issue.

Okay. Do you have any ideas on how you can get the Black community in SoCal mobilized to their local CVS? Because they need to get there. Or, is there any Latino here who can offer some insight into getting the Latino community to their local CVS? Because they need to get there too!

The data, as uncomfortable as it may make some folks here, remains the hard truth...

Los Angeles County - Late August
Asians = 79% Fully Vaccinated
Whites = 68% Fully Vaccinated
Latinos = 59% Fully Vaccinated
Blacks = 49% Fully Vaccinated

Orange County - Late August
Whites = 72% Fully Vaccinated
Asians = 64% Fully Vaccinated
Blacks = 53% Fully Vaccinated
Latinos = 38% Fully Vaccinated

Lovely, TP.

Getting African Americans to put their trust into this vaccine will take work. The same can be said for folks belonging to other races who refuse to get vaccinated.

Again, this is not a race-based civil rights issue, so I’m going to leave it here.

TP2000

Lovely, TP.

Getting African Americans to put their trust into this vaccine will take work. The same can be said for folks belonging to other races who refuse to get vaccinated.

Again, this is not a race-based civil rights issue, so I’m going to leave it here.

And again, because I go to the California government dashboards, it's an issue that is forced upon you on their front pages of their Covid websites. It was a topic forced onto me every time I looked, but it's obvious it's a set of data that makes people uncomfortable to talk about (which I think is a shame). If some media outlet or activist group finally clues into it, don't say I didn't warn us! 😁

The California Department of Public Health does not want us to avoid the topic however, based on their website design.

To be honest, in OC and San Diego counties it's the Latinos that are the most in need of immediate mass vaccinations.

The Black population of OC is miniscule (less than 2% of the county) and the Black folks in OC are actually vaccinated at average rates. Most Black folks in OC are middle to upper-middle class, live very comfortable lives, and are well vaccinated. It's the poorer Latinos who are noticeably unvaccinated in OC, and they make up a whopping 35% of the county.

LA County is a different ballgame entirely when it comes to demographics, but at 3.3 Million people and the home of Disneyland - OC is nothing to dismiss and is quite illuminating.

Orange County Vaccination Rates by Race as of 8/26/21
Asians = 67% Fully Vaccinated
(Asians are 21.9% of OC population)
Whites = 64% Fully Vaccinated (Whites are 38.6% of OC population)
Blacks = 56% Fully Vaccinated (Blacks are 1.6% of OC population)
Latinos = 38% Fully Vaccinated (Latinos are 35.0% of OC population)

TP2000

Here's an update on SoCal county Covid and vaccines overall. The downward trend in cases and hospitilizations that began in early August continues.

These six SoCal counties make up 20 Million people, about the size of the entire population of the state of New York, or the population of Georgia and North Carolina combined. In just six counties. Go SoCal! 🥳

San Diego County = 60.4% Fully Vaccinated
Orange County = 58.3% Fully Vaccinated
Ventura County = 58.2% Fully Vaccinated
Los Angeles County = 56.5% Fully Vaccinated
Riverside County = 45.7% Fully Vaccinated
San Bernardino County = 42.6% Fully Vaccinated

California as a whole is now 55.2% Fully Vaccinated, so most of SoCal's counties are above the state average. The two Inland Empire counties are well below average.

Hospitalizations and cases continue to trend downward. This is OC's data as of 8/30/21

OC Cases since last Christmas...

OC cases (4).png

And OC Hospitalizations since the spike last Christmas. Orange County has approximately 7,000 hospital beds across 32 different hospitals.

OC hospitalizations (3).png

Jefro

I do not live in California. The discriminatory factor of a vaccine mandate for LA on the black community has no bearing on my community, thousands of miles away, whatsoever. If Los Angeles wants to prohibit 60%+ of black people from public life, it really does nor concern me at all and I have no reason to be invested or to oppose such a decision. Many here even support such a mandate, where as I am merely indifferent.
This is America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom