Proof of Age

MickeyCB

I don't know about other states in the US, but in Pennsylvania they offer, (obtained at the DMV), a photo ID that can be obtained in lieu of a drivers license.
It is given to people who can't drive for one reason or another and serves as a valid ID. I don't know if there is something similar offered in other countries.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't know about other states in the US, but in Pennsylvania they offer, (obtained at the DMV), a photo ID that can be obtained in lieu of a drivers license.
It is given to people who can't drive for one reason or another and serves as a valid ID. I don't know if there is something similar offered in other countries.

Well in the OP’s case and those of us from the U.K., the answer (which was posted several times on the first page) is no! We’re running out of ways to say it.

MickeyCB

Well in the OP’s case and those of us from the U.K., the answer (which was posted several times on the first page) is no! We’re running out of ways to say it.
You need to tone down the snark. It's not high school here.
My friend, who is a travel agent, mentioned 2 forms of proof of age ID in the UK that she wasn't sure were legit or not. PASS and ValidateUK. Don't know if they are universally accepted or not.

nickys

Premium Member
You need to tone down the snark. It's not high school here.
My friend, who is a travel agent, mentioned 2 forms of proof of age ID in the UK that she wasn't sure were legit or not. PASS and ValidateUK. Don't know if they are universally accepted or not.

Apologies. It’s just that people keep saying “oh but we have them, surely you do”?

But the only government issued ID in the U.K. are a passport and driving licence.

Both those you mention are valid within the U.K., for things like proving age for buying alcohol, although no one is forced to accept them, mainly because they are easy to alter (and plenty of 16&17 year olds have either altered one or used someone else’s). And they cannot be used as official ID for anything. If you don’t have one of the two official IDs, you have to jump through hoops, with birth certificates, different proofs of address and soon to open a bank account or anything.

My own kids both applied for a provisional driving licence at 18, to make it easier to prove their age at a bar or shop. But that on it’s own is not even accepted as official ID, although Disney accepted them.

Bananafaceal

Original Poster
Pass cards etc are not government issued and so are pretty useless in most cases. When I had just turned 18 I bought the national government ID card (which was not cheap) to be told a few months later it was no longer valid.

MickeyCB

Apologies. It’s just that people keep saying “oh but we have them, surely you do”?

But the only government issued ID in the U.K. are a passport and driving licence.

Both those you mention are valid within the U.K., for things like proving age for buying alcohol, although no one is forced to accept them, mainly because they are easy to alter (and plenty of 16&17 year olds have either altered one or used someone else’s). And they cannot be used as official ID for anything. If you don’t have one of the two official IDs, you have to jump through hoops, with birth certificates, different proofs of address and soon to open a bank account or anything.

My own kids both applied for a provisional driving licence at 18, to make it easier to prove their age at a bar or shop. But that on it’s own is not even accepted as official ID, although Disney accepted them.
Thanks.
And appreciate the clarification.
Pass cards etc are not government issued and so are pretty useless in most cases. When I had just turned 18 I bought the national government ID card (which was not cheap) to be told a few months later it was no longer valid.
Thanks for the information. It's frustrating when things such as this aren't consistent. In the US some rules/regs are federal and others each state can make their own rules. When you travel the US it makes it hard to know what is legal in one state and not the other.
Hope you have a great time on your trip!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Every state has a state ID for those who cannot drive.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thanks.
And appreciate the clarification.

Thanks for the information. It's frustrating when things such as this aren't consistent. In the US some rules/regs are federal and others each state can make their own rules. When you travel the US it makes it hard to know what is legal in one state and not the other.
Hope you have a great time on your trip!

A state issued ID, whether it is a DL or not, is legal in the other 49 states.

I've been visiting the States since I was 21 & am now 50, I've always used my passport when asked for ID & never had an issue with being asked for another form of ID.
Mrs ABZDisneyFan is the same age as me & she was asked for ID back in 2014 at the margarita stand on the Boardwalk, so we would have both been 45 at that time.
I thought it was hilarious, the server didn't believe the passport was hers & got her supervisor over to check who was totally cool about the whole thing, I got a dig in the ribs when I said that Mrs ABZDisney Fan was old enough to be both the server & the supervisor's mum. :)

Raineman

Don’t know if it is too late, but this is what was officially printed around food and wine booths at Epcot. Passport is fine by itself.
I'm glad that copies of a passport & ID are acceptable. I really don't want to carry my passport and driver's license around the parks all day. I get paranoid enough just having my phone in my pocket, constantly checking to make sure it's in there, so I don't want to have to worry about my ID too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom