Proof of Age?

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
I'm starting to look at booking a trip around the time that my daughter turns three next year for my husband and I, my mother, and our two daughters. There is obviously a large difference in price between going when she is two and going after her third birthday. She turns three a few days before labor day, so for crowd level purposes, I'd prefer a trip that starts just after her birthday. (She is special needs so its very important that we are there at low crowd level times).

Does Disney ask for proof of age for children upon arrival? Are they simply taking my word for it that my child is in fact still two and didn't just turn three last week?

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
When you make reservations are you not asked for the age that the child will be at the time of check in?
You are. I'm just looking at roughly a $400 difference in cost for a child who is a few days over the age of three and wondering if it's just my word on the honor system.

You are. I'm just looking at roughly a $400 difference in cost for a child who is a few days over the age of three and wondering if it's just my word on the honor system.

Like I said it is honor system. No cast member will question the difference between a 2 year old and one who is barely three...

Now if the child was 2 but looked 5...maybe but still doubtful. The only time it may really arise is when a child ticket (3-9) is used by someone with a beard! :D

minniemickeyfan

Just something to think about, Will you be wanting the dining plan? You can only get it if your child is 3 and up.
Also I have been going to the parks with a now 2 year old. Last time we visited it was a month before his 2nd birthday and I was asked all the time his age. But my boy looks older than he is I believe. Cast Members would usually start up a conversation at the turnstiles with something like, "Your boy is cute, how old is he?"
I think you have to be the judge of what is right for you to do.

stevehousse

Honestly if it's less than a month after her third birthday I would just say she is 2. Like someone else said if u want the dining plan, the age for that is 3 and up. Otherwise go for it! There's people that go all the time and their kid turns 3 in the middle of te trip! They don't go buying tickets for half a trip. Just make sure when u put her age in MDE that u put it so she still says 2.

stevehousse

If it's a month or 2 or even 3 months past, no one will know. But with that said, it's not like the OP is trying to get her 3 year old almost 4 into th park for free...a month or 2 isn't gonna do any harm to anyone...

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I have been asked with both my children who were 2 how old they were. Actually I shouldn't say I was asked they asked my kids. We've been asked about once each trip. The CM at the entrance guest would say something like. " Hi princess you look lovely today." and when my kid would smile or answer they would ask the child how old they were, in a very friendly way. I'm not sure if they were just being friendly or they were "checking" Either way we never felt comfortable lying about their ages since we didn't want to put our kids is a position where they would have to lie as well.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I have been asked with both my children who were 2 how old they were. Actually I shouldn't say I was asked they asked my kids. We've been asked about once each trip. The CM at the entrance guest would say something like. " Hi princess you look lovely today." and when my kid would smile or answer they would ask the child how old they were, in a very friendly way. I'm not sure if they were just being friendly or they were "checking" Either way we never felt comfortable lying about their ages since we didn't want to put our kids is a position where they would have to lie as well.
I think this is the big picture issue. How can you ask/expect others to be honest with you when you are not honest yourself. It seems ok to "bend the rules" and lie about the age of a child. But if Disney were to lie about something we would be all over Disney in the fraction of a heartbeat.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What I've learned here is that it's cool if I rob a bank, as long as I only ask for $5 or $10...because what harm would that cause anyone?
Exactly this.

I'm sorry it costs more, but Disney puts off a lot of income not charging (and offering benefits like meal sharing) for kids under 3.

This sort of thing is how good things get taken away. The minority ruin it for the majority.

If you choose to abuse that system, you are no better than those who rent a "handicapped" person to get a "skip the line pass". (yes, I went there)

It's trashy and despicable.

I hated paying for my kid's uncle when he was 10 and had to fall under the "adult rates" for the DDP. But, I did it.

But, you can "cheat" the system if you please. You'll most likely get away with it.

But that doesn't make it right.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I only had to prove my child was 3 once. It was a new attraction Body Wars and you had to be 3! No height. They stopped him, I said three and they looked at me....I whipped out his park admission 'cause he was 3.

A good question above is has that child been a guest in the hotel resort system before? If the child has he is embedded in the data already and you might get caught up in the lie. Also when making reservations they will ask the data of the child in the room. If you do decide to go with a false birthday it will be the childs data forever.

I understand the $400 and I did wrestle with this with my kids too at Disney and on airplanes but I couldn't do it. If your child, God forbid is hurt, lost or anything else unforeseen you brought the child into the parks fraudulently, that is what I wrestled with too.

Now if you are staying off sight and purchasing tickets at TTC it is less black and white and going through the turnstiles (don't know what to call that pole area now) will be easier. You will still need to keep up the pretense though if you pull a disability card for the child for FP+ Have to weigh if the stress of all that is worth the $400.

righttrack

I was always honest about my kids ages. The real deciding factor besides the obvious integrity issue, is the choice to participate in the dining plan. Now your child will be 2 as far as WDW is concerned. Were there anything besides food that is age-limited, that could come into play. I don't think there is, but I haven't had ones that young in more than a decade so I'm not sure. When someone asks you, as you pass fastpass, how old your cute child is, and you respond 2 because a castmember is there, and your child corrects you because, gasp, they aren't 2 anymore, will you feel weird? I'm not telling you what you should do, I'm just bringing up the scenarios that may or may not work for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom