Proof of Age.... just an idea

s.ollie

Original Poster
So this is my 8th visit since I've been 21. Although I'm not a big drinker i do enjoy the odd tipple. However my problem is although I'm hitting 29 I can easily pass for 18 (especially if I'm dressed casually, like i would most days in the parks) so I have to carry photo I.D with me at all times, and i mean at all times. Now i know in the states and about almost everywhere else ya'll have handy little credit card size driver license. However in Ireland we have this http://www.propstore.com/product-Maureen-O-Reillys-Drivers-Licence.htm . I was once asked for ID at the margarita stand in WSC and when i produced my license the CM questioned wether it was a valid ID and called a more senior CM to assist her, since then I've taken to carrying my passport around with me when visiting parks or restaurants etc. Obviously not the safest of practices when on vacation.

So my "idea" is for Disney to issue guests with a "over 21" card/wristband/attach it to the new magic bands things. Something you could get at guest relations before you enter the park or from your resorts concierge desk, upon proof of valid ID. Then you would be able to secure any important ID's in lockers or back in your hotel safe. It could have a daily expiration or something similar. It would certainly make my stay at Disney world a little more convenient.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
There are laws in place that such an idea could not be done! Valid ID must be produced at the time of purchase! I don't know how to break it to you but Disney carded me on my last trip and let's just say my teenage son was with me! Izma's granny better carry 2 forms of ID!
How would this be different than the kinds of ID bracelets handed out at concerts and festivals? In music festivals, I will go get my "over-21" bracelet and never have to whip out my ID again. It's done all over the place. I just don't know if Disney wants to get into the business of adding one more bracelet to your wrist, especially now that MagicBands are coming.
It also helps add to the atmosphere of binge drinking, as it makes it easier to get drinks (honestly, getting carded all over the place might just be enough to convince some customers that they dont want to get plastered at the park), and I doubt Disney wants to really encourage the binge drinking any more than they already do.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
In theory it could work, just like at a concert. You have stations set up around the WS. You show your id there, and get one of those paper wristbands.
wristband.jpg

That is then accepted as proof at dining / drinking establishments within the current park. There would be lots of little things you'd need to make sure to do (make sure they are not easy to replicate, etc), but if my local street fair in Chicago can do it, I'm sure Disney could as well.

I just don't think they would WANT to do something like this for the few people that are annoyed that they have to pull out their ID. Now, they should ensure that their servers are well versed not only in all US forms of ID (each state has multiple types), but a majority of international ones as well. I'd guess that they expect most folks either to use their ID or passports.

I_heart_Tigger

I had to carry my passport to places when I lived in Florida. I had an old drivers license which had no photo and my ID for "drinking" at home wasn't considered valid in Florida even though it was a photo ID and showed my age. I was 21 when I got there and had been legal age at home for 3 years but I was occasionally turned away from bars because bouncers couldn't comprehend basic math.

I had friends from other countries use fake ID's all the time. Most of them had been allowed to drink in their own country for a couple of years but were still underage for Florida so they would just take any document in their own language, copy it to id size, colour a foreign coin with ink and make a "stamp" for it then laminate it. The only thing they looked at was the numbers of the phony birthdate. Worked everytime...though this was in '95-'98...not sure how that would fly today.

Disvillain63

I think the US just needs to loosen up more than anything. There's nothing reasonable about a lot of the carding that takes place in this country. The problem with linking to the MagicBand is that those are removable, so it'd be easy to swap.
$$$$ Have a 'bio' reader at every bar...if the two don't match, then you don't get served. It would cost the mouse a bit to set this up, but it could work. $$$$

Disvillain63

In theory it could work, just like at a concert. You have stations set up around the WS. You show your id there, and get one of those paper wristbands.
wristband.jpg

That is then accepted as proof at dining / drinking establishments within the current park. There would be lots of little things you'd need to make sure to do (make sure they are not easy to replicate, etc), but if my local street fair in Chicago can do it, I'm sure Disney could as well.
This would be at each individual park and that is what she's trying to avoid...carrying the passport/id in the parks. If there's a fix to this, then WDW should be able to figure it out and do something. Afterall, they've gotten the Magicbands to pass Congressional scrutiny.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
This would be at each individual park and that is what she's trying to avoid...carrying the passport/id in the parks. If there's a fix to this, then WDW should be able to figure it out and do something. Afterall, they've gotten the Magicbands to pass Congressional scrutiny.
I think that this would be the difficult part, and probably why Disney is not going to worry about tackling it. If you had to do it outside the park and not have to carry your ID with you when you visit into each park, you'd have to implement something that could not be easily removed/passed from guest to guest. Likely that would mean some form of photo ID that Disney itself creates. Or require something that is non-removable for the duration of the time that you would like to not worry about carrying your ID. Neither of which I can imagine Disney really thinks is likely worth the time and money to implement. Guests wouldn't love the idea of a wristband that you cannot remove for the length of your stay (I don't LOVE the ones I get a Lollapalloza, but it's only a couple of days and I make do, as they are my ticket into the gate). Disney wouldn't want to get into the business of creating hard-to-duplicate photo ids.
That is why the only thing I could think of off the top of my head would be a wrist-band you could get for the park you are in. That would mean you would still have to carry the ID in order to get this, but you wouldn't have to take it in and out all the time if you were trying to get sloshed.

Spikerdink

I think the US just needs to loosen up more than anything. There's nothing reasonable about a lot of the carding that takes place in this country. The problem with linking to the MagicBand is that those are removable, so it'd be easy to swap.

I don't want to start a war of political words, but.... I work for a local politician here on Long Island and there is constantly a battle to ensure that underage drinkers do not get served alcohol. There are so many kids who have fake ids - some of them are produced in China and are perfect replicas of state issued ids - that the problem is difficult to solve. The police often do raids on places thought to serve underage drinkers and if the establishment is found to be serving under 21s, the owner and server are charged with a crime. The goal is to minimize the issues of underage drinking. Just last week there were two stories in the news - one where a young girl was rushed to the hospital with alcohol poisoning after being at a party the hosts parents allowed underage drinking ('we'd rather they do it where we can monitor since they will do it anyway' syndrome) and another where a boy celebrating his 18th birthday ran across the train tracks in NYC and was struck by a train and killed. In his backpack, the police found a broken bottle of rum. Unfortunately, many kids do not (as well as many adults) know when to stop drinking. Can you imagine the lawsuits if Disney served a 19 year old and the person was imbimbed to the point of dying? It can happen. Here in NY a bar/store can lose their liquor license if they are found to serve underage drinkers.

So my "idea" is for Disney to issue guests with a "over 21" card/wristband/attach it to the new magic bands things. Something you could get at guest relations before you enter the park or from your resorts concierge desk, upon proof of valid ID.

A few years ago, a CM friend told me a story of how he was bartending at Darwa (spelling?) in AK. He was chatting with a couple at the bar while monitoring a group of people at the other end of the bar. He had served the group and was watching as they had a few obviously underage people with them. A few minutes later, he ran around the bar, took a drink from a 15 year old and threw it out and had to warn the group. Even though they were from another country and felt it was ok for this child to drink, my friend told me that Disney does not approve and will terminate the bartender if they serve an underage patron. He simply could not chance the possibility he could be fired.

This is a problem larger than what a wristband/ID check can control. There is still the chance that someone will buy an under 21 a drink, there is the possibility that the wristbands can be swapped, there is the potential for fake ids....

No easy answers here. Disney has to go above and beyond to ensure that they comply with state laws governing alcohol usage.

HouCuseChickie

I just couldn't see them approving bands. It's been some time since my college days :rolleyes: but there are enough ways to stretch, undo and transfer bands like that to other people that they'd never go for it. i.e. if I can manipulate the system at a concert, fraternity party, or festival- it's not the best system. Maybe these other venues can assume such risk b/c their reputation is not that of Disney...but I could never see Disney doing this. And with the magic bands, what's stopping you from putting it on someone underage?

Ulitmately, when I've traveled out of the US, I've always been instructed to keep my passport on me at all times. Most of my friends who travel abroad a lot also do the same. I remember being in Europe and even our tour guide reminded everyone every single day to make sure they had their passports right on them- same way in Mexico...so, I know it's not just us. Ultimately, practicing this would eliminate your issues.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So this is my 8th visit since I've been 21. Although I'm not a big drinker i do enjoy the odd tipple. However my problem is although I'm hitting 29 I can easily pass for 18 (especially if I'm dressed casually, like i would most days in the parks) so I have to carry photo I.D with me at all times, and i mean at all times. Now i know in the states and about almost everywhere else ya'll have handy little credit card size driver license. However in Ireland we have this http://www.propstore.com/product-Maureen-O-Reillys-Drivers-Licence.htm . I was once asked for ID at the margarita stand in WSC and when i produced my license the CM questioned wether it was a valid ID and called a more senior CM to assist her, since then I've taken to carrying my passport around with me when visiting parks or restaurants etc. Obviously not the safest of practices when on vacation.

So my "idea" is for Disney to issue guests with a "over 21" card/wristband/attach it to the new magic bands things. Something you could get at guest relations before you enter the park or from your resorts concierge desk, upon proof of valid ID. Then you would be able to secure any important ID's in lockers or back in your hotel safe. It could have a daily expiration or something similar. It would certainly make my stay at Disney world a little more convenient.

A few problems...

First, fl law does not recognize a foreign drivers license as proof of age - that's why you need the passport. The location will be immune if the patron provided a legal form of Id and the patron would appear to be of age. So why they don't have to card everyone, it's about liability.

Second, the locations and alcohol licenses are actually seperate around property. That probably causes legal definition issues for Disney if location 'a' verified a patrons id, but location 'b' did not and the kid gets busted in location 'b'. 'B' may not be able to argue they checked a required form of identification... Even tho location 'a' is owned by the same parent company.

Third, many locations on property are operated by third party vendors... And Disney checking Id is not the same as them checking id, etc... Similar to before.

It boils down to checking that someone else verified your id is not the same as the licensee checking id. Unless there was some sort of proxy exception... They will still need to check the accepted forms of id

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom