Progress of Fantasyland Expansion

jjharvpro

Original Poster
Of course they still have to install the ride system(LM), restaurants,etc.(BatB), and all the other attractions and such at Storybook Circus, but the latest FLE photo update from WDWMagic shows that the progress on the project is amazing! The detail that we can already see in Beast's Castle(rock-work & castle) and Under the Sea:JofLM is phenomenal! Finally, the forced perspective of Beast's Castle is working for me!!

So will Beast's Castle also be part of Phase 1? Even though they still have a-ways to go, the exterior is really coming along.

If any of you want to post your own pics/video of recent FLE progress from some of your trips, I'd love to see it!

djkidkaz

Anyone know if they are going to use real grass on Mermaid rockwork or if the painted on grass is what we're getting?

djkidkaz

Its under my understanding that most of the ride and restaurant has been installed already.

Really??! So they are just left to do the exterior work? I assume that you mean the ride system is in place, but none of the animatronics or attraction elements are put in place yet? I'd be surprised if any of that stuff was even on-site yet.

InsiderImagine

Lee do you have any updates on when dumbo is moving or when snow white is closing. Im assuming after phase one? But I thought the circus was opening in the spring is that still on target?

dumbo will me moving spring/summer....when the double dumbo is about to open. snow white i think they are pushing for the end of next year. last i heard.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee do you have any updates on when dumbo is moving or when snow white is closing. Im assuming after phase one? But I thought the circus was opening in the spring is that still on target?

Based on the internal timeline, phases of the Circus area are scheduled for opening next spring, yes. (Mostly that would be the train station/restrooms. Maybe Goofini.)

The new stuff, like Dumbo, is targeted for May-June next year.

The new M&G at Snow White is slated to open in the July-Sept. time frame.

cbconglom

dumbo will me moving spring/summer....when the double dumbo is about to open. snow white i think they are pushing for the end of next year. last i heard.

awesome thanks! should we be sad that they just shortened the length of the disneyparks presentation at the d23 expo?

Scuttle

Based on the internal timeline, phases of the Circus area are scheduled for opening next spring, yes. (Mostly that would be the train station/restrooms. Maybe Goofini.)

The new stuff, like Dumbo, is targeted for May-June next year.

The new M&G at Snow White is slated to open in the July-Sept. time frame.

Thanks as always lee. I'm still very curious how they are going to promote a phased opening. It all seems a little weird.

jmick71

Anyone know if they are going to use real grass on Mermaid rockwork or if the painted on grass is what we're getting?

i herd it was going to be real like in splash mountain, but the shape of the grass spots does not tell me that it will be real, in splash mountain the support for the grass are shaped like planters where in the little mermaid the supports are flat (At least at the top).

we have to remember that what we are seeing over the wall is the very top of the facade, the bottom of the facade is block by the wall. the bottom part of the facade will be the largest part of the facade

so with this in mind it is most likely that the bottom parts will be real grass and the tops being really fake grass( not painted, but almost like turf)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They were simply asking (and hoping) the grass was real, for the sake of theming. I don't recall either of them saying anything about the lack of real grass being a "dealbreaker."

jt04

Anyway to the topic at hand, the landscape being developed is on a fairly large scale and real grass would screw up the forced perspective it appears to me. The same reason they crafted little trees to help with the forced perspective at beast.

Theme Parkitect

Actually, it IS what Disney is known for. I bet you didn't know this: In order to keep the forced perspective on Main Street U.S.A. Disney had the option of real or fake trees (fake being obviously easier). They chose real. The trees are trimmed almost nightly and are given a slow-growth hormone about every month in order to keep up with the forced perspective. So, yes. We like to know.

jt04

They just put new sod on Splash Mountain in Disneyland - it looks awesome... just saying.

I am not positive but my impression is that LM is supposed to represent a greater scale than splash. Splash always looked like a hill rather than a mountain so real grass works.

jmick71

Actually, it IS what Disney is known for. I bet you didn't know this: In order to keep the forced perspective on Main Street U.S.A. Disney had the option of real or fake trees (fake being obviously easier). They chose real. The trees are trimmed almost nightly and are given a slow-growth hormone about every month in order to keep up with the forced perspective. So, yes. We like to know.
to add to that, look at storybook land in DL

all REAL trees there

not saying they should put plants like that up on LM or B&B( much to expensive and not easily accessible to care for) but these details make disney disney

WeLComeHomE OKW

I'm still not buying that forced perspective. It really doesn't look far away...I hope the finishing touches convinces me.

But, overall, FLE looks like a worthy addition to WDW. I just wish Disney gave the other parks this much love...EVER (in WDW that is)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom