Pre-Trip Princess 5k for My 50th!

Hello @Doc Disney, @Longers and my fellow Disney lovers!

After a year of dreaming and wishing I am happy to announce that my sister and I will be celebrating my 50th birthday by running the 2016 Princess 5k at Walt Disney World :happy:!! I am so excited I can barely contain myself!

The Cast:

Me (Lisa) and my sister Tina
This picture was taken on Christmas Day 2014. Tina's Jasmine crown was a gift from me.
This will be my 9th trip and Tina's 7th.

When:
February 17-22, 2016

Where:
Disney's Polynesian Village

What:
5 day Magic Your Way with Park Hopper
Disney Dining Plan
Using the DDP is a first for me. Not sure if I will like it, but we kept thinking of table service restaurants we wanted to try. We figured this was the best way to do it.

Why?

We need some Disney Magic and I am turning 50!

Here's how it happened:
About a year ago, Tina mentioned that we should do something special for my 50th birthday. Something fun that involved just the two of us. Disney freak that I am, my first thought was Disney World! Tina loves Disney as much as I do so she was game.
Inspired by runDisney Trip Reports, I mentioned that I had learned about events where people ran through WDW and even though I am not a runner I really wanted to try it. Tina has run several 5k races so she thought it might be fun. I walk a lot, but I was worried that because I am not a runner I might not be able to do it. Encouraged by Tina and several forum members (@Doc Disney, @Longers and @Ariel484 ) we decided that we should give it a try.
Naturally, I went into full Disney planning mode! I presented Tina with a list of resorts we might want to try and created tentative touring plans. We ranked our resort choices and decided that because we would be flying down and relying on Disney transportation, staying at a monorail resort would make transportation easier. Tina had stayed at the Poly and loved it. I love dole whip so I was sold!! We started saving and thinking about training.
Fast forward to spring 2015. The weather was finally warming up and it was time to begin walking and getting in shape so that I would be able to conquer my first 5k.
Then stress and sadness happened. Our mom has dementia and our dad has been her primary care giver. In mid-April Mom had to have emergency surgery. At the end of April our dad had a drastic and sudden loss of his short term memory. Our first thought was that he'd had a stroke, but that was ruled out. Tina and I took turns staying with and caring for our parents 24/7. Our dad's condition worsened and we searched for answers from the medical community, eventually consulting 10 doctors. He was diagnosed with rapid onset dementia. Dad's condition deteriorated rapidly and after a five day stay in hospice our father passed away on June 30 :cry:.
I honestly don't know what I would have done without Tina. Throughout it all we were a team. Now our trip has become more than just a celebration of my birthday. It's a celebration of our bond as sisters, a time for healing and a time for happiness.

The (Very Tentative) Plan:
We've never been to WDW during February, so any tips or feedback are welcomed and appreciated. I am especially concerned about timing because the parks close earlier this time of year. I know crowds are lower this time of year, but I know that the Princess Half Marathon Weekend is a big draw.

Wednesday, February 17

Evening flight to Orlando
Magical Express to the Poly
(Question: Our dining plan starts today, correct?)
No ADR since we are not yet sure when we will arrive and we want to save one TS credit for later in the week.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Rope drop at Animal Kingdom (no FastPass+)
Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, Dinosaur (Tina's never ridden it), and Kali (If it is warm enough)

Dole Whips with Coconut Rum :inlove:
Lunch-CS, maybe Flame Tree or Yak & Yeti? Not sure yet.
Bus to ESPN World of Sports for the Expo and Packet Pick Up
Question: Does anyone know the Expo hours? How long will this process take?
Bus to Disney Hollywood Studios

Hopefully get FP+ for Toy Story Mania (Tina's never ridden it) and Tower of Terror. Single Rider for Rock n Roller Coaster

Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose (I'm not seeing Fantasmic on the the calendar right now, so not sure if it will be happening or not.)

Friday, February 19, 2016

Princess 5k!!!
Quick trip back to the Poly for a shower
Epcot
We are hoping for FP+ for Soarin (New to Tina) & Test Track (New to Tina). Will probably fill in with Spaceship Earth.
Eat and drink around the World
Our dad was born in Germany and came to the USA when he was 16. We are planning to honor him in some way when we are in Germany.

This is one of our favorite photos of us with our dad.
Table Service ADR? Biergarten in honor of our dad? Will we be too full? Not sure what time the race will be over and how fast we will get back to the park, etc. Can we make it around the world with shorter park hours?
Illuminations

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Taxi to Rope Drop at Universal
2 Park One Day Ticket
We both love Harry Potter so this is a must! I've been to Hogsmeade, but Tina hasn't experienced Wizarding World at all.
Diagon Alley
Lunch at Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks
Hogsmeade
Possible dinner ADR at Cali Grill
Neither of us have ever been here. Would love to watch the fireworks.
Question:What time should I try for so we can eat and watch fireworks?

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Rope Drop at MK
Hopefully we will get FP+ for 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Other must do rides will be Splash ( If it's not being refurbished or if it is not too cold), Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Tina has never seen the Tangled rest rooms so we have to stop there :).
CS Lunch. Not sure where. BOG Lunch if we can't get a dinner ADR?
Festival of Fantasy Parade ( I only saw part of it last summer)

Possible dinner ADR at Be Our Guest or ??
I've been here for lunch, but not dinner. Tina hasn't been here at all. I want to meet the Beast!!
Main Street Electical Parade
Wishes (my favorite WDW fireworks)

Monday, February 22, 2016
Breakfast at Kona? Tonga Toast!!!!
More time at MK?
Depends on our flight time and Unmagical Express departure:(

We keep thinking of new restaurants to try so our ADRs may change quite a bit in the next few days. Restaurants in the running are Biergarten, Sanaa, O'Hana, Via Napoli, Les Chef de France….

We'd love to work in a massage at the Grand Floridian Spa, any suggestions on timing? I have NO IDEA how crowded parks will be and how much we can accomplish during shortened park hours.

Hope you enjoyed reading about our plans. I will keep you posted as our plans develop.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
That's amazing!!! When I started running I ran a 14mm, and just through running a lot within a year or so I was down to about 10:30mm. I didn't even do speed work or anything special. The more you run, the faster you will become naturally! You'll get there!

Thanks! I didn't run quite as fast tonight but I was able to run for longer intervals. It is nice to feel like things are starting to come together.

I've imported Jeff Galloway's training calendar for the 10k into my Google calendar. Granted, you're not running the 10k, but the Walk, Run, Walk regime will get you prepped in no time. I would just keep the long weekend run to 3 miles when you reached that point in the regime. You will probably blow by the rest of the 5k runners, lol.

Ate at Biergarten for the first time a few weeks ago. Definitely a must do for you and your sister, especially to honor your dad. See you in February!

I am using the walk, run, walk regimen, too! I am finally feeling like I am making progress. Better pace and more stamina for running , yay! I keep trying to imagine what it will feel like to run through Epcot. I can't wait!!!!!

Can't wait to try Biergarten! Should be a good time and a great tribute to our dad! Glad you enjoyed it on your visit.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Hello everyone! So sorry to have neglected my pre-trip reporting duties for so long! Real life keeps getting in the way. We sold my mom and dad's house and my sister and I had to get it cleaned out. Sorting through everything was a big job. We finished with that December 10 and then it was time to get ready for the holidays.

During the time I've been away we managed to book our flights and made our Fastpass+ selections. Now for the updates:

Wednesday, February 17
Our flight leaves Cincinnati at 4:15 pm and we should land at MCO around 6:30pm. We will take the Magical Express to the Poly. We've never ridden the Magical Express so we are kind of excited about that.

MK has EMH until midnight that night :joyfull:. We are super excited about EMH. We always start every trip at MK, but this time we were going to start at AK and we weren't going to be at MK until our last day. So happy that we will now be able to do MK on arrival day. It is my favorite park. We've already done online check-in, so we will hopefully make a quick stop at our room to change clothes and hop on the monorail to MK:inlove:!

We scheduled Fastpass+ for Pirates (we'll probably miss this one) Space Mountain and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Hope to see Wishes, Celebrate the Magic and MSEP.

Thursday, February 18
Breakfast at Captain Cooks
Rope drop at AK. No FP+ here as we are using them at DHS later. Hope to ride EE, Dinosaur, Kali and the Safari before we have to leave at 11.
Originally, we had a lunch ADR for Yak & Yeti. But since we are worried about timing, we cancelled it and decided we will grab a quick counter service meal. Not sure if it will be at AK or DHS, it all depends on timing.
Leave AK, hopefully via cab and go to packet pick up for the Princess 5k. Hopefully this will be quick!
Take a cab from packet pick up to DHS. Our first FP+ is scheduled for 2:15-3:15 so we hope to be here by then.
FP+ at DHS are TSMM, Star Tours, and ToT. We hope to use single rider for RnRC.
When we booked our ADRs we really wanted to book the Fantasmic Dinner Package at Mama Melrose's, but it wasn't available so we scheduled at Brown Derby. We kept checking availability and when they opened up the Mama Melrose's Fantasmic Package we cancelled Brown Derby and booked MM instead. I know MM gets mixed reviews on the boards, but my sister ate here on her last trip and really enjoyed it. The menu also appealed more to me.
Tina has never seen Fantasmic, so I am excited to see what she thinks. Personally, I think the story line is a bit strange, but I've never seen anything else like it. I was blown away by this show on our first visit and I still enjoy it.

Friday, February 19
Princess 5k!
Epcot
FP+ for Spaceship Earth, Test Track & Nemo. Very sad Soarin will be closed for refurb :(. It is my favorite. Tina has never ridden TT or Nemo. She also hasn't ridden Living with the Land so I want to introduce her to that.
Drinking around the World and 1:00 ADR at Biergarten
Illuminations

Saturday, February 20
Both Universal parks for Harry Potter sections only
7:00 ADR for California Grill

Sunday, February 21
MK again!!!
FP+ for SDMT, BTMR, and Splash
We'd like to meet Anna and Elsa, visit Enchanted Tales with Belle, and see the FOF parade.
4:50 ADR at BOG :happy::inlove:!! I finally get to meet the Beast!

Monday, February 22
Breakfast at Kona
Unmagical Express to MCO for 1:00 flight home :(

We are soooo excited. I've been super busy and haven't had much time for training for the 5k, so I'm a little concerned about how that will go, but I am trying not to stress about it. I can meet the time requirement with fast walking and this is supposed to be fun, right?

Only 48 days to go!

Longers

Sounds like a great plan and meeting the beast (my favourite) I so wish I could fly to Disney in just a few hours.
I knew Harry Potter would be in there somewhere you will love it.
And if you follow a 5k running plan from now you will still easily finish. So excited for you being this close to going.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Sounds like a great plan and meeting the beast (my favourite) I so wish I could fly to Disney in just a few hours.
I knew Harry Potter would be in there somewhere you will love it.
And if you follow a 5k running plan from now you will still easily finish. So excited for you being this close to going.
I am really excited about our BOG dinner and meeting the Beast!
I am definitely looking forward to Harry Potter. Can't wait to see Diagon Alley and ride the Hogwarts Express. And Platform 9 and 3/4 and.......everything !
Good point about following the 5k plan. I've been doing one and I'm hoping that my body will snap back fairly quickly so that I won't have to start completely from scratch.

Longers

I am really excited about our BOG dinner and meeting the Beast!
I am definitely looking forward to Harry Potter. Can't wait to see Diagon Alley and ride the Hogwarts Express. And Platform 9 and 3/4 and.......everything !
Good point about following the 5k plan. I've been doing one and I'm hoping that my body will snap back fairly quickly so that I won't have to start completely from scratch.
You will have a fab time and will not be disappointed with BOG or Harry Potter! I am sure you will be fine as even after our run I could still run 3 months later after doing not a lot. If I want to run again now though I will be starting from scratch again. I might start again in 2016 as I am hopeful we can do the Jingle jungle run in November if we can get registered in time. Happy new year

Cassie S.

Following along... I will be there for the 5k as well with my mom and best friend. I did it last February for the first time and it was great even though I do not run. I mostly walked with a bit of jogging thrown in. It was an incredible experience going through Epcot at sunrise. Beautiful memories I will never forget and I did it by myself last time. Looking forward to making new memories soon! The race weekend is right around the time of my daughter's birthday so we get to celebrate her 9th at Magic Kingdom. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. :)

LisaBelle

Original Poster
You will have a fab time and will not be disappointed with BOG or Harry Potter! I am sure you will be fine as even after our run I could still run 3 months later after doing not a lot. If I want to run again now though I will be starting from scratch again. I might start again in 2016 as I am hopeful we can do the Jingle jungle run in November if we can get registered in time. Happy new year
Happy New Year to you, too! I got in a walk/run today. It was freezing, but I did it! I was well below the time limit, so that was good. Thanks to your reminder that I should be able to complete the whole couch to 5k program before we leave, I have a more positive and motivated attitude!
Hope you can get registered for the Jingle Jungle run. My sister and I thought that one sounded like fun, too. Maybe for her 50th?!

Following along... I will be there for the 5k as well with my mom and best friend. I did it last February for the first time and it was great even though I do not run. I mostly walked with a bit of jogging thrown in. It was an incredible experience going through Epcot at sunrise. Beautiful memories I will never forget and I did it by myself last time. Looking forward to making new memories soon! The race weekend is right around the time of my daughter's birthday so we get to celebrate her 9th at Magic Kingdom. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. :)

Good to hear that you were able to do it last year! Off and on I have been doing a couch to 5k program. As of right now I can meet the pace requirements with a combination of walking and running. Hopefully I can stay the course and with my training and feel very confident on race day. I can't wait to experience running through Epcot at sunrise!
I think you will enjoy the race even more this year with your mom and bestie! I'm sure your daughter will love celebrating her birthday at MK. I know I will!
Glad to have you following along. Where are you staying? How long are you staying? Maybe we will bump into one another over race weekend!

Cassie S.

Happy New Year to you, too! I got in a walk/run today. It was freezing, but I did it! I was well below the time limit, so that was good. Thanks to your reminder that I should be able to complete the whole couch to 5k program before we leave, I have a more positive and motivated attitude!
Hope you can get registered for the Jingle Jungle run. My sister and I thought that one sounded like fun, too. Maybe for her 50th?!

Good to hear that you were able to do it last year! Off and on I have been doing a couch to 5k program. As of right now I can meet the pace requirements with a combination of walking and running. Hopefully I can stay the course and with my training and feel very confident on race day. I can't wait to experience running through Epcot at sunrise!
I think you will enjoy the race even more this year with your mom and bestie! I'm sure your daughter will love celebrating her birthday at MK. I know I will!
Glad to have you following along. Where are you staying? How long are you staying? Maybe we will bump into one another over race weekend!

We are staying at the Caribbean Beach from 2/18-2/24. It is our first time at a moderate and I'm so excited! Previous trips have been at All Star Movies and Art of Animation. They were great, especially with kids, but I'm really looking forward to the feel of Caribbean Beach. We are getting in late afternoon 2/18 so we may see you at the expo that day. :) Our first park day will be 2/19 after the race; going to Hollywood Studios so I don't exhaust myself afterwards. Last time I felt great after the race but by the end of the following day, I was ready to go to sleep at 5 pm, lol. I think I will do a TR myself but I never finished mine from a couple of years ago so I may have to finish that first!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
We are staying at the Caribbean Beach from 2/18-2/24. It is our first time at a moderate and I'm so excited! Previous trips have been at All Star Movies and Art of Animation. They were great, especially with kids, but I'm really looking forward to the feel of Caribbean Beach. We are getting in late afternoon 2/18 so we may see you at the expo that day. :) Our first park day will be 2/19 after the race; going to Hollywood Studios so I don't exhaust myself afterwards. Last time I felt great after the race but by the end of the following day, I was ready to go to sleep at 5 pm, lol. I think I will do a TR myself but I never finished mine from a couple of years ago so I may have to finish that first!

My husband wants to try Caribbean Beach on one of our future family trips. It looks like it has a fun vibe.
I hope my sister and I can keep the pace we've set for ourselves. We want to pack in as much as we can on our adults only trip! I am used to being at Disney for at least a week, so I already feel like we will be missing out on some things.
It would be great if you did a trip report. I think it's extra fun to read TRs from people who were at WDW the same time you were.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
OMG not long to go now - really wish it was me but we all have to wait our turn. Counting down with you :)
Thanks! Our magic bands and Magical Express tags arrived. That makes it feel like it's actually happening. Volleyball tournaments all day tomorrow. Hope to update Monday.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
My sister gave me some good running socks for Christmas. I love them. I haven't been able to train the way I wanted to but I can run enough to be well within the time limits. I decided to just train as much as I can and then relax and enjoy the experience while we are down there!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Was hoping to post a good update by now but work is killing me, so it will have to wait a few more days. Until then all I have to say is that in 14 days I will be in the bubble and enjoying evening EMH at MK!!:happy:

prfctlyximprct

Just checked out all your plans and this sounds like the ultimate Disney trip! You must let me know how you like the California Grill! I want to try there so bad! And good luck in your Disney run! I am so excited for you!

My condolences about your Dad, but such sweet ways you are planning to remember him. He will be with you through all those smiles. :)

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Thanks Nicole. I am super excited about California Grill. I will definitely let you know how we like it. I am looking forward to watching Wishes from up there. I haven't been able to train for my run nearly as much as I wanted to, but I am sure that the excitement will keep me going!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom