Price increases coming

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some price increases on the horizon for February:

BLT ($245), Poly ($250), BCV ($245), BWV ($210), and VGC ($295!)

Riviera and Aulani from $195 to $201

ToTBellHop

$245 for a 21-year contract is bonkers, even if Stormalong Bay rocks.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Original Poster
$245 for a 21-year contract is bonkers, even if Stormalong Bay rocks.
I think the price increases for BWV and BCV have more to do with Riviera’s price increase than anything else. Riviera would have been more than BWV without it.

I did a post on another board a couple months ago; even at $235, you’re basically always better off renting points than buying direct for BCV, and the saving car cash are only like 25% once you account for your potential alternative uses of that cash, which, I think is worth noting, is roughly what a typical discount is for the Deluxes and Villas.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Original Poster
Someone is just trying to improve spreadsheet numbers.

Are people honestly buying into DVC right now? Ability to travel is so uncertain right now.
DVC sales have been about 60% of normal the last few months, with add-ons making up an unusually high share of sales. Most people in the typical DVC demo have job certainly and 2020 vacation money burning a hole in their pocket. Millions don’t of course, but most do. If you sell heating oil, or are a dentist, or work for Visa, you’re not particularly concerned about the pandemic’s impact on your future.

Buck Wheelie

Disney must think the pandemic will abruptly end and people will be fighting to buy DVC. I think the prices are crazy and I would go resale before paying that. I'm just glad we bought a long time ago.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Original Poster
As is increasing the price of Aulani which they have been actively trying to sell for 11 years. 🤦🏽‍♀️
I thought about this more last night and I can’t get over it. DIS has Aulani’s launch price at $120 while DVCNews has it at $114. 127 months of sales later and it has like 5,000,000 points left to sell and they’ve nearly doubled the price. More than Riviera has left. More than BWV has, period. Roughly 1 Kidani.

Sales have dwindled and the last look at the data someone compiled had them averaging like 27,000 points a month. At that rate it sells out in 2033ish.

What’s even the pitch anymore? Sure it costs 2-3 times as much as the Atlantis they’re building next door, but on the other hand it’s also 10 years older and has smaller, less luxurious rooms!

It’s the only DVC resort I think you can conclusively determine a new buyer will lose money on. Resale prices have dropped in the last few years and are less than half of list price. And there’s basically no advantage to being a “blue card” Aulani owner. The MFs are too high to justify using the points at WDW. And there’s still 5,000,000 points to add to the resale pool!

Insanity. Pure insanity. If I were Disney I’d offer a “grand reopening sale” where Aulani purchases of 250+ points got them 50% off. And just run that sale through all of 2021. And 2022. And Then once DLH Villas opens in 2023, give away 100 Aulani points with the purchase of 200 DLH points.

#endrant.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I thought about this more last night and I can’t get over it. DIS has Aulani’s launch price at $120 while DVCNews has it at $114. 127 months of sales later and it has like 5,000,000 points left to sell and they’ve nearly doubled the price. More than Riviera has left. More than BWV has, period. Roughly 1 Kidani.

Sales have dwindled and the last look at the data someone compiled had them averaging like 27,000 points a month. At that rate it sells out in 2033ish.

What’s even the pitch anymore? Sure it costs 2-3 times as much as the Atlantis they’re building next door, but on the other hand it’s also 10 years older and has smaller, less luxurious rooms!

It’s the only DVC resort I think you can conclusively determine a new buyer will lose money on. Resale prices have dropped in the last few years and are less than half of list price. And there’s basically no advantage to being a “blue card” Aulani owner. The MFs are too high to justify using the points at WDW. And there’s still 5,000,000 points to add to the resale pool!

Insanity. Pure insanity. If I were Disney I’d offer a “grand reopening sale” where Aulani purchases of 250+ points got them 50% off. And just run that sale through all of 2021. And 2022. And Then once DLH Villas opens in 2023, give away 100 Aulani points with the purchase of 200 DLH points.

#endrant.
I agree with almost all of this, but the original demographic that DVC was really pitching to (at least to my understanding) were mostly people in Japan, as they comprise a lot of the visitors to Hawaii. The next group would have been California residents that are used to paying 2 arms and a leg for housing. When we were there a few years ago, that was quite noticeable at Aulani.

The rooms are awesome there, at least we thought so. So what is more luxurious at the new Atlantis?

nickys

Premium Member
I agree with almost all of this, but the original demographic that DVC was really pitching to (at least to my understanding) were mostly people in Japan, as they comprise a lot of the visitors to Hawaii. The next group would have been California residents that are used to paying 2 arms and a leg for housing. When we were there a few years ago, that was quite noticeable at Aulani.

The rooms are awesome there, at least we thought so. So what is more luxurious at the new Atlantis?
Yes I believe Aulani was aimed squarely at the Japanese market. I think it was the tsunami that hit their hopes (the one that destroyed the nuclear plant).

Buck Wheelie

I wonder if location hurts Aulani. I know the area around Aulani is building up but Waikiki has always been the big tourist spot. Every time we've been to Hawaii we've stayed on the beach in Waikiki and I don't think we'd want to stay somewhere else.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I wonder if location hurts Aulani. I know the area around Aulani is building up but Waikiki has always been the big tourist spot. Every time we've been to Hawaii we've stayed on the beach in Waikiki and I don't think we'd want to stay somewhere else.
Waikiki is way to crowded and overbuilt for us. We loved Aulani, and pretty much everything was less than a 30 minute drive. The only place we visited in Waikiki was the Hard Rock, as I collect shot glasses, and wanted to be sure we got the one from there. I seriously doubt that we will bother with Waikiki on our next visit at all. To each his/her own.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Original Poster
IIRC the Marriott timeshare next door sold out in about 4 years.

Buck Wheelie

Waikiki is way to crowded and overbuilt for us. We loved Aulani, and pretty much everything was less than a 30 minute drive. The only place we visited in Waikiki was the Hard Rock, as I collect shot glasses, and wanted to be sure we got the one from there. I seriously doubt that we will bother with Waikiki on our next visit at all. To each his/her own.
Been to that Hard Rock many times. We usually stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village but it's been a few years since we were there. I just wondered if Aulani had been on Waikiki Beach would it have sold better.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Been to that Hard Rock many times. We usually stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village but it's been a few years since we were there. I just wondered if Aulani had been on Waikiki Beach would it have sold better.
I think Disney opted for the more laid back and relaxing environment at Ko' Olina, as opposed to the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.

Disstevefan1

Ah, life is starting to get back to normal 😀

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Those prices are for resells...so the drill started turning the screw long ago anyway...it’s just a matter or “torque” now. 🔧

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom