Pressed Pennies

christopher

I really like the quarter ones, but those things add up after you buy a few. I still cant resist and know that I will get tons of them on my visit this July. I have about 15 pennies and quarters, my fav is probably the space mountain one.

DCA Fan

I have a collection of mostly pennies, from WDW, Seaworld, KSC, and a few other places. I have one quarter from the Space Needle, and I have 2 special pennies that I got from a ride op at Knott's Berry Farm. They were pressed by the train and got stuck on the train's wheels. I think they're pretty cool! :lol:

disneyfan123

chelljnr: thanks for the info on the penny locator. Just wot i was looking for!!!!

*only 37 days to go* (so close and yet so far.....*
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Cyberacer

I have quite a few pennies. My favorite ones are probably the ones with Goofy or Mickey on them. I actually save quarters and pennies for when I go to collect them.

GenerationX

Collecting Pressed Pennies sounds like something my kids would love. A couple of questions:
1. Do the pre-1982 (all copper) pennies look better when pressed than the post-1982 (copper/zinc) pennies?
2. How much does each pressing cost? I'd like to pre-pack a bag specifically for penny pressing, and I want to have exact change for the machines.

Thanks in advance! :)

nikimsu2002

I try to collect them, but I either end up losing them or not having a penny or enough change to press one when I find a machine.

It costs 51 cents to press a penny. I'm not sure about the cost of pressing quarters since I've never done it.

My favorite would have to be the one I have with Timon and Pumba on it. I think it's from somewhere in AK.

JoeZerboy

Originally posted by GenerationX
Collecting Pressed Pennies sounds like something my kids would love. A couple of questions:
1. Do the pre-1982 (all copper) pennies look better when pressed than the post-1982 (copper/zinc) pennies?
2. How much does each pressing cost? I'd like to pre-pack a bag specifically for penny pressing, and I want to have exact change for the machines.

Thanks in advance! :)

Am not sure which would look better. For me, the shinier the penny, the better. :)

As for cost...usually the penny press machines are 51 cents, which means you are supplying your own penny and pressing it at a cost of 50 cents.

Happy smushing!!!

Joe

Chris

My son collects them and he has over 300 pennies from Disney (MK, EPCOT, DS, AK, DTD,DWWoS, DCA, DL, etc.) They come out with new machines every five years or so. There are several new machines for the 100 years celebration. Some of his date back quite a way.

stepharoni

pennies and quarters

It costs 50 cents to press a penny and $1 to press a quarter.

I've tried both new shiny pennies and old pre-1982s- the new ones look much prettier and show more detail. My old ones may have needed cleaning first. That's my next experiment. I guess copper cleaner should work, huh? duh

My favorites are the new quarters at the Contemporary and Frontierland Mickey with a gun and a shamrock from Savannah.

22 Days!!

Dwarful

good idea to have the money ready. we went through alot of change on this last trip...filled the book that someone posted with our previous trips pennies...we also bought the 10th celebration book. The kids loved collecting these...

mickeysaver

Re: pennies and quarters

Originally posted by stepharoni
My old ones may have needed cleaning first. That's my next experiment. I guess copper cleaner should work, huh? duh

Well, good old fashioned tomato ketsup worked well for me. Even to purple ketsup will do the job. Just soak in the ketsup for about 30 mintues and rinse. It really worked well and it's cheap! Another trick to prevent having to clean them often after pressing is to coat them with a thin layer of clear finger nail polish.

GenerationX

Thanks for all of the info, everyone! We're hitting Disney Studios on day 1 of our trip, so I'll get the Collector's book right away.

Dizknee_Phreek

i've been collecting the pressed coins since well before the 25th anniversary! anytime i see one that i like that i don't have, i get it. i have a LOT! i'm not sure how many...i haven't looked at them for a while. i'll have to count them and get back to you guys on that. anyway, i saw the coin books before, but if i remember right, they looked like they wouldn't fit all my pennies, so i didn't buy one. how many do the books hold though? i really didn't get that good of a look at it...mom was showing it to me from a bit of a distance.

my first ever pressed penny was from Opryland (the one and only time i ever went to OL before it closed) it was of a ride they had called the Tennesse Waltz...i really wanted to ride it, but i was a little afraid to go on it, so i got the pressed penny instead ;)
but i too save pennies just in case i find a cool penny that i don't have yet...to keep the new, shiny ones shiny, i wrap them in a Kleenex....yeah, i don't recommend doing that. it makes it hard to get to them when you need them. i'm gonna have to figure out a better way of saving them. think, think, think.....:brick: oh well, i'll figure something out.

Luau Cove

There are two advantages with pressed quarters:

1- First, obviously the dimension of the stamped image is bigger.

2- Many people don't know, but as quarters are silver the image is much more elegible for the rapid eye.

-->LUAU

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom