Power outage disrupts attractions at Disneyland

mickEblu

Well people who purchased one day tickets may not have the ability to come back a different day. If I had bought three day hoppers and this way the last day of my trip before flying back home, that day would be wasted. And that would make anyone mad. Another scenario was someone might have been in the park earlier and left for any number of reasons and then isn't able to get back in the rest of the day.

When the park reaches capacity, it reaches capacity. I'm not saying they should let more people in when it's filled to the brim, but I don't think they should allow one group of people but not another.

I'm assuming park was at capacity when you accounted for all of the attractions that were down, but officially wasn't at capacity since APs were allowed in. It just blows my mind they would turn away full price ticket people and let APs in. I mean what about the poor saps spending $750 per night to sleep on a mediocre bed in the Disney hotels? Then they threw down another $1300 on family park hoppers for a three days. Those people are turned away, but APs get in?

Yeah for those scenarios they absolutely have to refund or make it up to the customer somehow. I’m still unclear on if the parks were at capacity. If they re at capacity how can they legally keep letting people in? Anyway I agree they should have left it up to the ticket holder so long as the power outage was communicated before entering.

mickEblu

I don't think there are DCA or DL specific tickets are there? Just one ticket you can choose to go to either park or hop if you add that on.

Oh ya Your re right. So did They automatically turn one day tickets into park hoppers? That would have probably been the right thing to do.

TP2000

I am absolutely amazed at how much coverage this story is getting from national TV networks. It was on CNN and Fox News tonight on their national programs, with lots of park footage and interviews with upset customers. An amazingly slow news day apparently, and a PR nightmare for Disneyland. With KABC flying a helicopter overhead, as if that's helpful to the parent company.

It kind of makes me chuckle though to think of all the TDA folks in PR and executive ranks that had to respond to all the media inquiries and interrupt their Christmas vacation to handle the PR mess. :p

Kiwiduck

I am absolutely amazed at how much coverage this story is getting from national TV networks. It was on CNN and Fox News tonight on their national programs, with lots of park footage and interviews with upset customers. An amazingly slow news day apparently, and a PR nightmare for Disneyland. With KABC flying a helicopter overhead, as if that's helpful to the parent company.

It kind of makes me chuckle though to think of all the TDA folks in PR and executive ranks that had to respond to all the media inquiries and interrupt their Christmas vacation to handle the PR mess. :p

Hit the news in NZ as well!

Darkbeer1

One of the headlines I saw this morning was "Major Outage at Disneyland". Come on, one zone got taken out by construction.

Inconvenient, yes. But it wasn't the whole resort, or worse, the surrounding area including traffic lights. That would be a nightmare.

Texas84

One of the headlines I saw this morning was "Major Outage at Disneyland". Come on, one zone got taken out by construction.

Inconvenient, yes. But it wasn't the whole resort, or worse, the surrounding area including traffic lights. That would be a nightmare.

Did not know that. The impression I got from national news sources was that the entire resort was down.

Darkbeer1

Did not know that. The impression I got from national news sources was that the entire resort was down.

Toontown, part of Fantasyland, Galaxy Edge and parts of backstage. Just the one region covered by a single transformer.

And it had nothing to do with the supplier, Anaheim Public Utilities.

Darkbeer1

What's DL's park capacity? 80,000 is my guess

The number fluctuates based on a number of factors. A formula that looks at open space available (So many people per square foot), plus attractions open (each attraction is assigned a number based on how many vehicles are running, plus queue space. Auditorium and the like get counted by seats available. So any time a construction fence, or ride closure happens, the capacity is lowered.

At maximum operation, the number is something over 70,000, but has been as low as in the 55,000 range.

And capacity is a snapshot count, daily attendance can get over 90,000 in a day, as some guests leave and replaced by latecomers.

This is why Christmas, New Year's Eve and July the 4th are problematic. More guests arrive early and stay until after the fireworks.

TP2000

The impression people get from national news sources on a variety of topics can be wildly inaccurate. This small power outage of a half dozen or so rides at Disneyland is just one example.

Darkbeer1

Here is the crazy headline...

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/massive-power-outage-at-disneyland-in-anaheim.html

But if you read the article....

>>A massive power outage interrupted rides at Disneyland this morning.

The incident, which occurred around 11 a.m., impacted rides in Mickey's Toontown and Fantasyland, leaving passengers temporarily stranded, according to the New York Post.

A problem with one of the property’s transformers triggered the outage at the Anaheim park, cutting power to about one dozen rides altogether.<<

Come on, a small power outage hit Disneyland for 2 hours today, closing down a few rides, Emergency power kicked in, giving light to indoor areas, and kept the audio speakers active for safety notice, Unfortunately, "it's a small world" was one of the rides affected, torturing guests with the melody until they could be evacuated to a safe hearing zone. Disney promised to provide physiological help to those stuck on the ride.... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom