Potentially dumb stroller question

jedeye18

Hey folks. we are headed back to the World in 2 weeks for our 2nd trip in as many years with the 6 and 4 year old. Last year we rented strollers for 4 days. However, that gets pricey. We have a great 2 seat stroller that we would rather take along. My question is , are they allowed? I didnt think to look to see if anyone else had any 'outside' strollers last year (too much else going on!). We would much rather bring our own than have to pay for one. We are staying at the AS Movies; if that matters. Thanks!

BrerVeritas

Strollers are a scourge across the land and must be stopped!!

Seriously, your kids are old enough to walk, even if that means taking rest breaks. Not only will there be one less "battering ram with wheels" in the park, but you will be free of the stroller parking hassles, which I overheard MANY parents stressing about. And that will be especially worrisome if it's your personal stroller.

A four year old is not too old for a stroller. I defy you to walk a 4 year old from Spaceship Earth to American advendture in the middle of the summer and see what happens. Anger, whining, and the eventual ok Daddy will carry you. And for those of us not in the peak of our physical health, carrying a 35 lb weight across a vast distance in 100degree heat with high humiduty is just a heart attack waiting to happen. (Not that that is me or anything)

I say, bring the stroller. And, if anyone gives you a dirty look...aim for their heels.:)

Upvote 0

JDM

A four year old is not too old for a stroller. I defy you to walk a 4 year old from Spaceship Earth to American advendture in the middle of the summer and see what happens. Anger, whining, and the eventual ok Daddy will carry you. And for those of us not in the peak of our physical health, carrying a 35 lb weight across a vast distance in 100degree heat with high humiduty is just a heart attack waiting to happen. (Not that that is me or anything)

I say, bring the stroller. And, if anyone gives you a dirty look...aim for their heels.:)

Obviously, this assumes decent health by all involved, let's not be silly.:veryconfu
It also assumes that a decent parent will be able to deal with a little whining. (We're not talking a 2 year-old here, folks.....) That's why the nice people at Disney put benches and snack carts every 30 feet or so, not to mention trees.

And if you aim for my heels, don't expect to pull back your wheels intact.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Strollers are a scourge across the land and must be stopped!!

Seriously, your kids are old enough to walk, even if that means taking rest breaks. Not only will there be one less "battering ram with wheels" in the park, but you will be free of the stroller parking hassles, which I overheard MANY parents stressing about. And that will be especially worrisome if it's your personal stroller.

We've been to WDW three times with our kids and had 2 strollers with us each time, and never had "stroller parking hassles."
I forgot to add in my previous post that in my opinion, taking 2 lightweight travel or umbrella strollers is easier than taking a double stroller (especially if the kids are older). But alot of people love taking their double strollers. It is just a matter of personal preference. And as a couple of others have suggested, tie a bright scarf to your strollers....makes them much easier to find. And yes, CMs will move strollers....and not only strollers that are parked in the wrong places. Even if you park your stroller in designated parking, chances are high that it will be moved when you get off of your ride. The CMs move them to keep them more organized.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

You're allowed to bring your own stroller. But consider having your kids, especially the six-year-old, walk. I've been walking all day at WDW since I was two, and my five-year-old cousin just did it last week, and all without whining, fussing, complaining, etc. Nobody is keeping you from sitting down and taking a little break. Also keep in mind that a double stroller will be hard to maneuver and navigate around the parks, shops, and restaurants, and depending on the size, a real pain in the butt on the buses, both for you and everyone else.

Upvote 0

OneLuckyMom

Rent or bring, a stoller is a must for 6 and under (and even older, if you feel the need).

No, it's not. As many others (incl. you!) has said, each parent knows their child best. Some kids need it, some kids don't. In my case, my daughter has been just fine walking through Disney since she was 4. I never even imagined taking a stroller - she'd hadn't used it since she was early in her 3s. And no, she wasn't carried constantly otherwise - I'm a single parent (no Daddy here) and by 4 I couldn't carry her for more than a few minutes at a time. So she walked. And she was happy doing it. The key is to not try and push forward at an insane pace - you have to keep to the child's pace. But I think that is necessary for a happy kid at WDW in alot of ways, not just when it comes to walking.

For the OP, I do think a couple of cheap umbrella strollers would be much easier to handle than a big double stroller.

Upvote 0

snoble

On our last trip we brought our own double stroller for only one child and it was well worth the bus/boat/monorail hassle. Our "baby" is 5 and I'm sure some people would say she is too old for a stroller. Maybe they don't understand that little kids have shorter legs and have to walk twice as fast to just to keep up. Personally I like the security of having the stroller when it gets too crowded. We didn't have to worry about her little feet getting stepped on or swatted in the face by someone's swinging arm. I've also gotton nipped in the heels by someone pushing a stroller but I just took that as a sign that I was walking to slow.:D

BRING THE STROLLER:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

The one saving grace of any stroller is when it comes time for the parades. They are wonderful to park curbside and have your children safe and sound and 'squish or step' proof from the masses who think they can squeeze in just a few minutes before the parade starts.Plus you don't have to worry about getting parted after the parades/fireworks.

Upvote 0

Raven66

On our first trip with our DD she was 5 (now 10) We did not have a stroller at home anymore. We had read in books and on here that getting a stroller for someone her age might be a good idea. When we got there, we asked her if she wanted a stroller and the answer was no. Every couple of days we would ask her and she didn't want one. We actually had to beg her to sit down and rest. :ROFLOL: I could really have used a stroller, that is for sure.:lookaroun I think when a child gets there and with all the excitement and such, they don't want to be in a stroller. But like others have said, you know your kids best. Have fun on your trip!

Upvote 0

gjpjtj

Absolutely bring your double stroller. We have travelled to WDW for 3 years now with ours, and couldn't imagine going without it! I'm actually dreading the day we don't need it, as it holds all of our stuff while in the park.
:)

Upvote 0

maryt01

whatever you decide to make your trip easier. if you rent a stroller, this can be done on a length of stay basis. it may save you just a couple of bucks.:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

BrerVeritas

Obviously, this assumes decent health by all involved, let's not be silly.:veryconfu
It also assumes that a decent parent will be able to deal with a little whining. (We're not talking a 2 year-old here, folks.....) That's why the nice people at Disney put benches and snack carts every 30 feet or so, not to mention trees.

And if you aim for my heels, don't expect to pull back your wheels intact.:rolleyes:

I'm exagerating of course. I don't actually think I'm in danger of a heart attack. And in 4 years of stroller pushing I have never once clipped anyone's heels. The point is strollers can be very helpful with children who tire easy. Its a good place to nap if they fall asllep while in the park, its nice in the afternoon when its hot. Children are very temperamental, and the same people who complain about strollers also coplain about the kid having a temper tantrum, because they are exhausted in the park.

A good small umbrella stroller and a considerate driving style are all you need to keep from angering those who don't like the congestion of stroller alley. Its the inconsiderate parents not the strollers themselves that cause problems.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

I'm exagerating of course. I don't actually think I'm in danger of a heart attack. And in 4 years of stroller pushing I have never once clipped anyone's heels. The point is strollers can be very helpful with children who tire easy. Its a good place to nap if they fall asllep while in the park, its nice in the afternoon when its hot. Children are very temperamental, and the same people who complain about strollers also coplain about the kid having a temper tantrum, because they are exhausted in the park.

A good small umbrella stroller and a considerate driving style are all you need to keep from angering those who don't like the congestion of stroller alley. Its the inconsiderate parents not the strollers themselves that cause problems.

Amen to that!! I totally agree the ones who complain about a 4 to 6 year old being in a stroller will be the first to complain if they have a fit due to exhaustion. My son only uses a stroller at WDW. He has not used one at home since he was 3 and too tall for an umbrella stroller. It is a parent's choice about whether or not to use a stroller. Each child is different and I cannot say that at the age of 4, All kids should walk their way through the 4 parks of WDW. Its none of my business as it is not any one else's if I choose to use a stroller for my son. If it really bothers some one that he is in a stroller, that person should seek some professional help. If another 4, 5 or 6 year old is in a stroller, it would not bother me one bit. It isn't for me to decide.

We personally rent the strollers from the parks. My son is able to walk fine from the buses to the front of the parks, which can be a long walk. Personally, we find bringing our own stroller to be a bigger pain than it is worth. Imagine being on a full bus, standing room only, with your stroller in one hand and trying to hold onto your child with the other. You are trying to stand up after the driver slams on the breaks, hold onto the stroller to prevent it from hitting those who were lucky enough to sit and hold onto your child who can't reach the handle bars that are above your head. We highly suggest the rentals. It is so easy and quick if you purchase your rental at the beginning of the trip. You are able to bypass the line and go straight to pick up a stroller. If you don't use all your days, you can get a refund for what you didn't use.

Its up to you what you would like to do. We find the rentals to be the best for us. We watched a couple who had a double stroller and 2 sleeping kids try to figure out how they were going to fold up the stroller and get onto the bus with the 2 kids. They were having some serious issues over it. The kids were not waking up and they didn't know how they were gonna get on.

Do whats best for you and your family. This is what works for us. Don't let anyone tell you not to use one if yours needs it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom