Potential visit to London.

DisneyCP2000

Original Poster
Greetings everyone!

I need a bit of assistance from those living out in the UK. My company has given me the priviledge to visit India in the upcoming month (Nov 27 -Dec 9). I'll be heading to Chennai/Maadras for two weeks on business. Once completed (Dec 9-10ish), I'm considering flying back via Heathrow and spending a couple of days in London. The company is paying for my air fares. And I'm guessing, why not spend a little more time while I'm out there.

I'm sure there's plenty to see and do, but would like some assistance from those who have visited or live around there. Is the commute to and from the airport easy? How about getting around? Any affordable hotels (as I will be paying for this part of the trip out of my pocket)? I admit, I enjoy history & photography. So any sites that include that will be great. Christmas shopping may be required as I will be gone till early Dec.

The tough part about all of this is that i need to book my tickets by this WED! So any input from WDWMagic'ers out there would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for you input.

Visiting London Eh?

Well, getting from Heathrow is a doddle, just jump on the tube (Trans: Subway). The Picadilly Line will take you from Heathrow into London.

As to Hotels, I couldn't say. Best bet is to hit the internet and look things up. But I'd suggest staying in the suburbs as central london will cost more.

Last thing of note, I don't live in london any more, but a friend who does said recently that getting into central London is a nightmare at the moment as some stations are still shut from the bombings.

I'm not sure if that's still true but I'd check before coming unless you fancy fighting your way into London by bus.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I would avoid the tube from Heathrow Airport to London, unless you know what you are doing, you may find it pretty overwhelming and chaotic. The best way to get from the airport to central London is the Heathrow Express. It goes right from the Terminal 4 at the airport, and drops you off at Paddington station, right in the middle of London. Its also a nice air conditioned train, no seating problems, and takes just 15 minutes.
http://www.heathrowexpress.com/

I would recommened the Hilton Paddington. Its a great hotel, great location, has good transporation links, and is also at the station where the Heathrow Express train drops you off. So very convenient.
http://www.hilton.co.uk/paddington

For shopping you want Regent Street/Oxford Street, and Harrods. All walkable from the Paddington, or a short tube/bus ride.

hope that helps :)

CAPTAIN HOOK

Jennih said:
As to Hotels, I couldn't say. Best bet is to hit the internet and look things up. But I'd suggest staying in the suburbs as central london will cost more.
Stay in central London for the convenience - by searching the internet you're bound to find bargains.
Enjoy your stay

DisneyCP2000

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips. I'm really hoping I can pull this off with the office. So far it looks like I'll departing Chennai on the 9th and I hope to stay in London till the 14th or so. Depending on what the cheapest day is to fly out...I'll have to take it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as must see's? Or must do's in thier opinions?

Will there be any festivities going on in preparations for the holiday's?

*Crossing my fingers that I can stop in London!*

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
wdwmagic said:
My must dos

Windsor Castle http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page557.asp
Bu ckingham Palace http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page555.asp
Tower of London http://www.hrp.org.uk/webcode/tower_home.asp
London Bridge
London Eye
National Gallery (free)
St Pauls Cathedral
Westminster Abby
The British Museum (free)
The Science Museum (free)
Harrods

I think you mean the "Tower Bridge" not the London Bridge. :p :animwink: The London Bridge isn't much to see. I'd agree with that list, but I would add Hyde Park and Picadilly Circus. Don't miss the London Eye, you can get some amazing photos from there especially around twilight.

barnum42

If you hit the Science Museum, take a nose around the corner at the Natural History Museum too. Even if just to admire the architecture.

tenchu

barnum42 said:
If you hit the Science Museum, take a nose around the corner at the Natural History Museum too. Even if just to admire the architecture.

I'd concur with this.

The Science, Natural history and British museums are the only things I've ever bothered to go and see in London.

Maybe because they're all free. :lookaroun

Kwit35

National Gallery and The British Museum are AWESOME.
For shopping - Harrod's of course! (Even if you just go to the food court, yum)
If you like to see shows, and if it is still playing, Blood Brothers is my favorite. I think the name of the theater is the Phoenix.
If you like a little blood and gore mixed with your history, London Dungon is very cool.
If you get outside London at all, Windsor (sp?) Castle is one of my favorite places (great town too). Also, Bathe (sp?), if you like architecture and history. My family (mom and dad) lived in Cheltenham and it was absolutely beautiful! Just like a painting.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Eeyore said:
I think you mean the "Tower Bridge" not the London Bridge. :p :animwink: The London Bridge isn't much to see.

Thats the one! I've taken you there to see it twice, and I still get those two mixed up! LOL :)

DisneyCP2000

Original Poster
Okay, now I'm really excited to check out the sights. I really do enjoy history and architecture too. And from the reading all the posts, there will be plenty to see and do. Now, lets just hope I don't get too lost.

I'm considering checking out the museums. (Being free and such...I'm all for it :lol: ) I'm also considering the London Eye. The pictures that Steve took were absolutely breathtaking! I'm guessing a ride during dusk would be great time?

Okay, now that housing and sites seemed to be covered? How about the food? I'm up for ANY THING!

DisneyCP2000

Original Poster
Well...it's all been cleared. Now the question is...Is Paddington necessarily the best place to stay? Or should I head to another area of town. I have yet to book a place to stay and am a bit nervous over the distances between locations. Would a cab ride to another hotel be worth it or just stay right where the train drops me off?

Thanks for any info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom