Potential updates to Avatar Flight of Passage

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Some glasses are better than others. He could have had a poor pair his last visit and had a better one this visit, which would lead to a crisper image.

I'm not saying this is true, I'm just saying it's what Brayden reported, and while a lot of people here don't like him, he's been pretty on point with his reports.
I would disagree with that characterization.

MerlinTheGoat

While Brayden has gotten some things wrong before, I have also seen plenty of complaints about FoP becoming fuzzy. And either possibility being presented, projector maintenance or glasses deteriorating, could contribute to this. Or both. If someone has a super clear picture and another person doesn't, it's likely a matter of getting lucky with the glasses. What Brayden said in this case isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Random thing to note, but perhaps relevant to the available space and costs involved with building a clone of FoP. At this point, the attraction could probably be scaled down for VR headsets and combine it with a much smaller simulator set up. Like maybe a next gen Sum of All Thrills.

prberk

Some glasses are better than others. He could have had a poor pair his last visit and had a better one this visit, which would lead to a crisper image.

I'm not saying this is true, I'm just saying it's what Brayden reported, and while a lot of people here don't like him, he's been pretty on point with his reports.
I agree with you. He seems to have been on point lately; and what he said makes sense about pulling from the initial order until it is depleted.

It also makes sense that the projectors need to be aligned. Maybe it is a mixture of the two. And if it is consistently clearer now, as the recent post suggests, maybe one or both of these things have happened.

No matter what, it is a maintenance issue that used to never be the norm at WDW; and it should never be.

ToTBellHop

For example, he reported that he saw some other second grade boys fail to wash their hands after using the restroom before lunch and that proved to be true.

School-wide assembly set for tomorrow to introduce the new Student Cleanliness Adherence Board.
1706138315084.jpeg

neo999955

In the Parks
No
When I rode FoP last January I was pleasantly surprised that my experience seemed a bit clearer, but then a few of my family who had never ridden it before told me they were confused as to why it was so blurry. I don't know if it's just glasses, but that would make sense and I hope they invest and fix it.

An aside, maybe, the dark room before it glows is basically always blurry for me now, and it wasn't like that when it opened (or I was too happy and never noticed).

DisneyCane

That goes against what the post you're responding to says. That post says things have seemingly gotten clearer. Which goes against the idea that all the glasses are getting worse and worse with wear. If things are suddenly clearer, that means they did get new glasses, no?

Also, if 'theft' of glasses is an issue with no replacements... then that would create a huge impact on guest throughput. Have lines become significantly longer and slower?
I wonder what the cost (in bulk) of those glasses is. I'm pretty sure they are the same "Dolby 3D" glasses that are used on Star Tours and not the much cheaper circular polarized 3D. I know that when Dolby 3D was first released for movie theatres the cost was around $20 a pair. That was for buying a few hundred, not thousands at a time like Disney would need for the parks.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I know Brayden with Mickey Views is sometimes frowned upon here, but he said he heard from a friend in Imagineering that the problem isn't the projectors or the screens, it's the glasses. They're apparently very expensive to make because they wanted them high quality for the ride. Over the years, they would replace damaged or stolen glasses with part of their bulk supply from their initial purchase. We've now reached the stage where the bulk is gone and executives haven't been willing to purchase more (at least not yet), so the scuffed glasses are what we're left with, which creates the visual issues.

SoFloMagic

I agree with you. He seems to have been on point lately; and what he said makes sense about pulling from the initial order until it is depleted.

It also makes sense that the projectors need to be aligned. Maybe it is a mixture of the two. And if it is consistently clearer now, as the recent post suggests, maybe one or both of these things have happened.

No matter what, it is a maintenance issue that used to never be the norm at WDW; and it should never be.
It's been fuzzy for like 3 years at least. His pretending this is some "scoop" is straight out the book of Corless.

prberk

It's been fuzzy for like 3 years at least. His pretending this is some "scoop" is straight out the book of Corless.
He did not say the scoop was that it was fuzzy. The scoop was why: that they bought a large stock of replacement glasses that is now depleted and not being replaced, meaning that worn glasses are more and more the norm. That was the scoop. It was about the details of their cost cutting affecting quality the way it never used to.

Fido Chuckwagon

I wonder what the cost (in bulk) of those glasses is. I'm pretty sure they are the same "Dolby 3D" glasses that are used on Star Tours and not the much cheaper circular polarized 3D. I know that when Dolby 3D was first released for movie theatres the cost was around $20 a pair. That was for buying a few hundred, not thousands at a time like Disney would need for the parks.
So they could likely pay for it with what they make in selling ILL$ for **one day** on FOP. They are so cheap it’s ridiculous.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Just curious, but why do people around here seem to dislike Corless so much?

He, others you see distain for are sensationalists that rely on more bombastic supposition from unreliable sources to drive traffic to their media offerings. He's enough of a pain that Disney disinvited him to media events and that started his "Disney sucks" campaign.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
He, others you see distain for are sensationalists that rely on more bombastic supposition from unreliable sources to drive traffic to their media offerings. He's enough of a pain that Disney disinvited him to media events and that started his "Disney sucks" campaign.
Yes, but he's been better since pulling back from battling people online. I think the click-bait stuff has improved a lot as well. Certainly better now than DFB and others. I believe he's back on the media list.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes, but he's been better since pulling back from battling people online. I think the click-bait stuff has improved a lot as well. Certainly better now than DFB and others. I believe he's back on the media list.
So he’s back to just posting incorrect information that he doesn’t corroborate plus things lifted from this site?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom