Potential Major Hurricane Idalia Possibly to Impact Central/Northern Florida 8/29

DCBaker

Premium Member
New updates from Walt Disney World.

Travel Flexibility: At this time, change and cancellation fees imposed by Disney will be waived for check-in dates of August 28, 2023 through September 5*, 2023. Guests currently staying at our Disney Resort hotels whose travel plans have been impacted by the storm may receive a discounted rate to extend their stay through the evening of August 31, if needed, by visiting the front desk.

Evacuees & First Responders Support: Florida residents evacuating from the storm and first responders assisting in storm-related recovery efforts may also receive 50% off Disney Resort hotel stays on the evenings of Aug. 29-31, 2023. For evacuees, please call 407-W-DISNEY for details. For first responders, please call 407-828-3200 (Option 3). This applies to new bookings only and is based on availability.

Storm Recovery: Walt Disney World is prepared to once again serve as a staging area for storm-related recovery efforts for the state of Florida.

*Edited to update date to September 5, Disney initially had September 4.

Last edited:

jpeden

In the Parks
No
True. Pay attention to updates, especially flooding of the Sante Fe River which crosses under I-75 just before Alachua. If it floods too high, I-75 is impassable. This happened the last time a hurricane came through.

If 75 was closed at this point how easy is it to navigate around and would this really be our only worry spot? Coming to the realization that our backup plan might also be a failure and we really just might not be going anywhere for our 10th anniversary.

JohnD

If 75 was closed at this point how easy is it to navigate around and would this really be our only worry spot? Coming to the realization that our backup plan might also be a failure and we really just might not be going anywhere for our 10th anniversary.
Be ready to exit onto US 41 at Exit 414. Drive to High Springs. Turn onto 441 and re-enter I-75 in Alachua. The Santa Fe River is the river seen going through Oleno State Park and under I-75. Another bridge could also be out on US-41. If so, you may have to plan farther out and find your way down to US-27. Or head over to Jax, drive down I-95 then take I-4.
1693322247865.png

1693324145258.png

Last edited:

JohnD

Be ready to exit onto US 41 at Exit 414. Drive to High Springs. Turn onto 441 and re-enter I-75 in Alachua. The Santa Fe River is the river seen going through Oleno State Park and under I-75.
View attachment 739791
See news about the Santa Fe River in 2017 after Hurricane Irma.

DisneyFanatic12

“VC Alert: Due to potential impact of Hurricane Idalia, Valencia College will be closed on Wed., 8/30. Check valenciacollege.edu and social media for updates.”

UCF is Valencia’s sister school, so UCF could likely close as well.

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Starting to hear that Disney is hoping/expecting to maintain normal operations.
I'm sure they'd hate to cancel a party.

Related, I understand that Disney is waiving cancelation fees, but does this include party tickets that don't carry cancelation fees because they are sold as nonrefundable? Rephrased: Is Disney offering refunds for tonight's party?

John park hopper

Looks like it will cross Georgia and hug the coast of SC as a tropical storm. We are here in Gulf Breeze visiting the grandkids. Leaving Sunday morning--pretty sure I-10 and I-95 will be clear as they removed all the median trees and trees on the road side after the last bad hurricane. May have trees down back home son #3 will be keeping an eye on things and start the generator if we loose power on Thursday 2 refrigerators and a chest freeze would be a disaster if everything thawed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm sure they'd hate to cancel a party.

Related, I understand that Disney is waiving cancelation fees, but does this include party tickets that don't carry cancelation fees because they are sold as nonrefundable? Rephrased: Is Disney offering refunds for tonight's party?
Disney's Hurricane policy does not apply to certain special events or dining experiences. So could go either way depending on the situation.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Disney's Hurricane policy does not apply to certain special events or dining experiences. So could go either way depending on the situation.
While they may not be refundable, the value in which you paid for them doesn't expire so you could reschedule your party if you're able to or use those funds for another after hours type event in the future. Of course if you only visit every few years, that might not be very helpful.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I'm confident that Disney would work with folks that changed travel plans, etc but it's pretty silly to have a hurricane policy to ease financial burdens for some things like canceled hotel rooms but not events and experiences. It's a step back to needlessly make it ambiguous when everything else Disney does with storm policies is well thought-out, clear, and in the best interests of guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom