POTC - WDW vs. DL

emwatdworld

Original Poster
In anoather thread, I saw a couple of posts about how POTC at DL is so much better than that at WDW. That reminded me that I grew up going to DL dozens of times as a kid and how the WDW version is much different.

Anyone have any idea why the WDW version, being so much newer, is so scaled down? It would be great to have the DL version at WDW!

This also reminds me of the exterior difference of Small World, which I am guessig is just a land space issue. There is obviously no comparison between the two. Anyone know if the INSIDE of Small World between DL and WDW is the same or close to the same?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
to my knowledge, PotC was not originally going to be at WDW. realizing that would be a grave mistake, they crammed it in with a lack-luster budget and space in which leds to a shorter version and the storyline not being able to tell it self completely.

not sure about IASW

Victor

Like the above poster said, PotC was not originally intended for MK, as the Imagineers felt pirates were already closely tied in to Florida history. Instead, we were going to get Western River Expedition, which was similar, but with a western theme. However, once the park opened, they received numerous guests asking why there was no PotC, hence they rushed the attraction in. A little over a year after opening I believe.

napnet

Yup, the above posters say what i was going to say... the main thing was time and money... they had neither so they made cuts

isitingood

In anoather thread, I saw a couple of posts about how POTC at DL is so much better than that at WDW. That reminded me that I grew up going to DL dozens of times as a kid and how the WDW version is much different.

Anyone have any idea why the WDW version, being so much newer, is so scaled down? It would be great to have the DL version at WDW!

This also reminds me of the exterior difference of Small World, which I am guessig is just a land space issue. There is obviously no comparison between the two. Anyone know if the INSIDE of Small World between DL and WDW is the same or close to the same?

I agree It's a Small World at WDW doesn't even come close to the one at DL

Stitch69

I disagee- I think PoC is just as good at WDW- better in a way. The queue is MUCH better than DLR. DRL is longer- but not better in my eyes.

joel_maxwell

I disagee- I think PoC is just as good at WDW- better in a way. The queue is MUCH better than DLR. DRL is longer- but not better in my eyes.
with that said, if i had to pick between to two, id rather have a better ride then better queue. 8 minutes is a lot of space/time.

Buford

the main reason our version isn't as long as Disneyland's is because we do not need to go as deep underground -- we'd hit water! Disneyland's had to go deep under the railroad tracks, this explaining why Pirates goes down so far and has such extended introductory scenes (as well as two drops), and why the Haunted Mansion stretch room actually descends.....

Stitch69

I am sorry, but I really didn't see the huge difference in the ride. The swap thing at the begin was cool- and the ending is different too(but not better)The basic ride is the same to me. I actually like WDW's ending alot better. When the boats empty before picking up new guests is much better to me.

You know, I've always thought it odd that the supposed reasoning behind no Pirates for Florida to begin with is that since there was a history of pirates in the region there would apparently be little to no interest in a ride featuring such. As if we're all so inundated here on the east coast with pirate ''stuff'' that the last thing we'd want to experience is a heavily-laden audio-animatronic extravaganza that's still held up as Disney at its best all these years later. What I imagine was perhaps more the reasoning was there was little sense in recreating a New Orleans Square with the original being so near and *that* killed the inclusion of any Pirates for our MK. At least until the outcry from the public and someone thought ''outside the box'' and came up with an Adventureland scenario instead...

MainSt1993

I dunno, there are things I like about WDW's: namely the queue, and that the boats are empty when you board. Makes it a little more erie. But DLR's - you really feel like you've made a wrong turn in the bayou and dropped into another place and time. WDW's mostly feels like a cheap copy to me.

And anyways, Paris's is the best. End of argument. :king:

joel_maxwell

I am sorry, but I really didn't see the huge difference in the ride. The swap thing at the begin was cool- and the ending is different too(but not better)The basic ride is the same to me. I actually like WDW's ending alot better. When the boats empty before picking up new guests is much better to me.
different strokes for different folks. everybody has their favorites

I dunno, there are things I like about WDW's: namely the queue, and that the boats are empty when you board. Makes it a little more erie. But DLR's - you really feel like you've made a wrong turn in the bayou and dropped into another place and time. WDW's mostly feels like a cheap copy to me.

And anyways, Paris's is the best. End of argument. :king:
now that would be nice to see. i havent even seen indoor photos of that one. only exterior.

hokielutz

Regardless of which ride is better and which queue is better... I still enjoy the POTC in WDW everytime I ride it. I understand its scenes are not as long as DL, but I and most everyone else love it.

joel_maxwell

You can see video of most of the Paris and Japan attractions, including the Paris Pirates, on YouTube. The sword fighting is super cool!
thanks..... heading that way right now, and to see the streaker at the homecoming football halftime show. the high school is 5 miles from were im sitting now. but that is a thread drift. :D

Victor

Regardless of which ride is better and which queue is better... I still enjoy the POTC in WDW everytime I ride it. I understand its scenes are not as long as DL, but I and most everyone else love it.

Totally agree. None of this will matter to the average visitor, and none of it should really matter to us either. It's a classic attraction regardless.

TP2000

Disneyland's Pirates is just a hair over 15 minutes long. WDW's Pirates is just a hair under 8 minutes long. That's about 7 minutes "missing" from the WDW Pirates.

I've always found riding the WDW Pirates to be a rather glum experience, but that's probably only because I have the Disneyland version seared on my memory and can't help using it as a point of reference. At WDW there just seems so much missing, so many scenes MIA, and the main scenes that are there feel a tad smooshed together, as if they took the basic footprint of the scenes and reduced them in size by 10% or 15%.

It's a fascinating story as to why WDW's Pirates is the way it is.

Buried20KLeague

No one has addressed the "small world" portion of the OP's question...

There's no outdoor portion of WDW's SM because of the climate. WAY too much rain to have a setup like that. In southern Cali, you don't exactly have to worry about rain like in FLA.

To my knowledge, the interior of the attraction is the same between both parks. And in the year long rehab a couple years ago, WDW made an effort to duplicate the DL version's facade with the clock face, etc... No more junky painting on the wall.

MainSt1993

Totally agree. None of this will matter to the average visitor, and none of it should really matter to us either. It's a classic attraction regardless.

See, but it's that frame of mind that got MK into the position it's in on updates and maintenance. 30 year old speakers next to state of the art ones. Animatronics in need of a tune up. Disney is held to an incredibly high standard because they started off setting the bar high for themselves. When they start to slack, their fans notice. That's what's happening here.

frankster

I've only been on the one in DL once (as I've only been to DL once, haha), so that's not enough for me to make a fair judgement, but I do remember liking it. But the one in WDW I like a lot of things about, mostly the queue area. It always gives me the chills, especially the point in the queue where's there's the window and if you look through it, there's a dimly lit scene of two skeletons playing chess or drinking rum, something. I can't remember, lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom