POTC --- Thumbs Down!

Siege898

Original Poster
Who else thought that waiting for an hour for the new POTC was a waste of time? The new POTC was almost exactly the same as the old one with the addition of Jack Sparrow. But I guess I can't complain too much, becuase at least now people are riding it.

jmvd20

Siege898 said:
Who else thought that waiting for an hour for the new POTC was a waste of time? The new POTC was almost exactly the same as the old one with the addition of Jack Sparrow. But I guess I can't complain too much, becuase at least now people are riding it.

I love PoTC the way it was but have never rode the newer version. I however agree about the wait. Even though I love the ride I would not wait an hour for it.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
So you read the what - like 143 threads - on the new POTC ride here, and you were still surprised that it wasn't changed all that much. It wasn't rebuilt - it was just "plussed". It's just busy right now because of the buzz surrounding the movie.

Main Street USA

Siege898 said:
Wow, if you were to have read ANY of the other Pirate threads, you would've known exactly what they did to the ride, and you could have chosen beforehand nhot to ride it.

I read the other threads, knew what was coming, waited for 30 minutes the day it opened, and LOVED it. They did a fantastic job.

disneydata

Siege898 said:
1. New outdoor music
2. New queue music
3. New load spiel
4. New lighting and music in the upper grotto
5. Davey Jones mist screen effect
6. Movie music in the battle scene
7. Capt Barbossa
8. New cannon effects
9. Jack Sparrow #1
10. New pooped pirate spiel and treasure key
11. Jack Sparrow #2
12. Upgraded burning effects
13. New treasure room
14. Jack Sparrow #3
(and many more I didn't mention)

No, of course it's almost exactly the same! Why would you spend an hour waiting when people who came on opening day waited over 2 hours! That's outrageous! And of course I guess the 45 minute waits last summer means no one was riding it and someone was just inflating the wait time.

[/sarcasm]

jmvd20

disneydata said:
And of course I guess the 45 minute waits last summer means no one was riding it and someone was just inflating the wait time.

[/sarcasm]

I normally go to WDW during the off season - May/September and the wait is normally 15 minutes or less. I thought the increased wait times were due to the refurb. Are 45 minute plus waits common during peak times?

makonyy15

Over easter PotC averaged about 10-20 minutes, with the longest being about 30 min. So no, 45 minutes isn't normal per say, but with the new hype it'll probably be like that for a while.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Where was the line to wait an hour?

I think i waited 35mins and i had to zig-zag outside before entering the hallway, several times actually.

dxwwf3

Before these additions, it seems the attraction rarely had waits over 15 minutes and before the film came out, it rarely had a wait period. But now I expect those days to be long gone. I think this is the best thing that could happen to the attraction. It seems that Disney knew that there was no need to go overboard here and it looks like they knew exactly what changes to make. I can't wait to see the ride the next time I'm in the MK.

Tinkerbella16

I don't care how long i have to wait for PoTC...it's a classic, no matter how much they added to it. Its an attraction most people dont want to miss when they're in the MK even before the rehab. Nobody said the ride was going to be a total different ride from before. I can't wait to ride it again. The lines will die down again when all the movie hype starts to end

Astronaut Jones

I thought I knew the jist of what's going on, so I usually skip the POTC forums, but I don't know anything about the improved fire effect. Would somebody be awesome enough to catch me up on that (explain what they did).

cloudboy

Ironically, I remember 10 - 15 years ago, there was ALWAYS a long wait at Pirates. It didn't seem as long, since it had such a cool que, but it was always a long wait to get on.

ryguy

If you are used to going to WDW in the offseason, going during the peak season will drive you crazy. Once the hype dies down this ride will be back down to a 15 minute wait.

Since1976

Siege898 said:
Who else thought that waiting for an hour for the new POTC was a waste of time? The new POTC was almost exactly the same as the old one with the addition of Jack Sparrow.

I'm not quite sure what you're riled up about. Would you have preferred the cast members walk up and down the line saying, "Please, get out of line, the ride update is NOT all that!"

Besides, never did anyone say that the ride was going to be redone completely.

NASAMan

Astronaut Jones said:
I thought I knew the jist of what's going on, so I usually skip the POTC forums, but I don't know anything about the improved fire effect. Would somebody be awesome enough to catch me up on that (explain what they did).

Not improved, just refurbished. Replacing bulbs, fans and worn curtains (the fans blow upward on [I believe plastic] curtains that reflect light from red and yellow bulbs to produce the fire effect) make for a more vibrant experience. In the past some fans (actual fans with blades, not fans of Disney :) ) worked poorly if at all. If you had not seen it before, you may not have noticed what was missing. The whole room seems alive now with fire effects. BTW, the Reedy Creek Fire Dept. asked that a special switch be installed to turn OFF the effect in case a real fire broke out, so that fire fighters would not be confused which was real and which was Disney magic!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ummmmm It was an "update" and a "refurb" not a replacement. Many small details were greatly improved and a few new AA and effects were added.

I woke up at 4:00 am on July 1st and drove 2-1/2 hours from Jacksonville, then waited in front of the queue until nearly 10:00 AM when they finally opened PotC for the soft opening. So my 6 hours trumps your 1 hour and I found it completely worth it.

Of course that is just my opinion.

Pongo

I only waited about 25-30 minutes. I thought the Davey Jones mist screen was worth it enough. That effect blew my mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom