POTC+SM Queue effects

DisnFanatic10

Original Poster
Okay when you walk through the queue of Space Mountain and those galaxies are spinning and it looks like they rotate with you, Is that just some sort of 3D animation. And in pirates when you go in the line to the right just before you board your boat there is a scene to your right with a boat in the distance and waves and clouds moving. Is it a diorama?

Sorry but these things puzzeled me the whole week I was there. Couldn't figure out how they accomplished these. Had ideas but each one couldn't have been right for some reason or another.

Thanks for any help.

raven

Okay when you walk through the queue of Space Mountain and those galaxies are spinning and it looks like they rotate with you, Is that just some sort of 3D animation. And in pirates when you go in the line to the right just before you board your boat there is a scene to your right with a boat in the distance and waves and clouds moving. Is it a diorama?

Sorry but these things puzzeled me the whole week I was there. Couldn't figure out how they accomplished these. Had ideas but each one couldn't have been right for some reason or another.

Thanks for any help.

The stars in the windows of Space Mountain's queue are static (non-moving). What you are looking at is diffracted glass making it look like the stars are moving (example: hold a pair of glasses in front of you and move them and it will look like the room is moving). There are actually some other things in these windows along the way which are actually rotating passing a light. Nothing too difficult to reproduce.

In Pirates, the clouds you see that look like they are moving are done with lighting fixtures with moving gobos. Gobos are sheets of metal or glass with an imaged cut out in it that are inserted into a lighting fixture to "shape" the light or in this case, to make clouds (http://www.rosco.com/images/technotes/patterns/anim_discs/30016.gif) . The one is pirates you see at the start of the ride arecthe same effects you see on the ceiling in the other scenes.

Hope this helps. :wave:

That scene in Pirates also has waves "projected" onto the "water." And something I always found interesting is how the "rain" is made in the hurricane scene (witht he skeleton steering the ship wreckage). It's just a disco ball on its side, spinning really fast! I always loved that.

In Pirates, the clouds you see that look like they are moving are done with lighting fixtures with moving gobos. Gobos are sheets of metal or glass with an imaged cut out in it that are inserted into a lighting fixture to "shape" the light or in this case, to make clouds (http://www.rosco.com/images/technotes/patterns/anim_discs/30016.gif) . The one is pirates you see at the start of the ride arecthe same effects you see on the ceiling in the other scenes.

Hey Raven, have you worked with lighting or Technical arts before?

SoupBone

Raven would it be possible to recreate the POTC ceiling effect on a smaller scale such as a bedroom? I always get on POTC and stare up at the ceiling for half the ride. I love the effect and would love to try it in a room but I just have no idea at all where to start. Thanks and awesome thread! :sohappy:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Raven would it be possible to recreate the POTC ceiling effect on a smaller scale such as a bedroom? I always get on POTC and stare up at the ceiling for half the ride. I love the effect and would love to try it in a room but I just have no idea at all where to start. Thanks and awesome thread! :sohappy:

http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1132&Category=

or...(and a lot cheaper I may add )
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-DJ-RotoGobo-Rotating-Gobo-Projector?sku=800734

There's plenty more out there. (I'm in no way affiliated with either company)

EPCOT Explorer

Kinda neat, but at that price point, I would think it should have more than a 45 day warranty! That's just NOT right.

Like going to Spencers. (I'm sorry it broke....NEXT)

Heh. Love their lighting department...I could make a nice little light show with a few hundred bucks.:lol::lol:

unkadug

Something tells me you have had a bad experience with them, Doug.:lookaroun:lol:

No. I just hate to see people spend good money on junk. It's part of the salesman in me, I hate for my customers to try and cut corners, only to get burned down the line.

unkadug

Obviously not Spencer's!

I work for a privately owned company. We do sound, lighting, and video design and installations.

Churches, schools, nightclubs, ball parks...(never done a theme park, but I'd love to!)

EPCOT Explorer

Obviously not Spencer's!

I work for a privately owned company. We do sound, lighting, and video design and installations.

Churches, schools, nightclubs, ball parks...(never done a theme park, but I'd love to!)

Ah, very cool.:D

*slides you a WDE/WDI application*:lookaroun:D

SoupBone

I'll look into the one from musicians friend but does it handle the larger discs like the one used at POTC? I think I read that POTC uses the larger discs allowing for a lot of different syles of clouds moving around. Thanks Unkadug!

GoofyMagic

I'll look into the one from musicians friend but does it handle the larger discs like the one used at POTC? I think I read that POTC uses the larger discs allowing for a lot of different syles of clouds moving around. Thanks Unkadug!
I have the ADJ one and it's a slowly spinning gobo, you can't adjust anything, but not sure what size of gobos it takes...I think it has a duty cycle as well, meaning you have to turn it off after a little while for it to cool down

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom