POTC being rebooted without Depp

thomas998

Original Poster
Well apparently Disney wasn't satisfied killing the Star Wars franchise now they look to be aiming at POTC. Apparently they have decided to revitalize the franchise with the writers of Deadpool, the elimination of Depp and the main character of a female pirate based on the new pirate in the ride... On the bright side I won't be spending any money on tickets to that POTC movies.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'll extend the benefit of the doubt for a while as it still fits in rather loosely with history (Captain Charles Johnson's A General History of the Pyrates ) for Anne Cormac (nee Anne Bonny {Redhead Irish pirate}). They've done a good job so far incorporating seafaring mythology and a tad of history into the series, but IMHO have sanitized it way too much just as they've done with the ride.

Minnesota disney fan

Guess not, dead2009! The new ride is so lame. Saw it for the first time 2 weeks ago. I guess the redhead swinging a rifle and booze bottle is okay, but the actual depiction, in jest, of the auction is offensive. I personally know hundreds of former kids who grew up to be illegal auctioneers because of this! (sarcasm anyone?) The premise of auctioning off chickens is just plain stupid and out of place.

thomas998

Original Poster

NormC

I don't think it is a big deal. The movie is called Pirates of the Caribbean not Pirate. They could tell many tales and keep the franchise alive without Jack Sparrow. As long as the stories are good and the movies are fun they will be fine.

Minthorne

I don't think it is a big deal. The movie is called Pirates of the Caribbean not Pirate. They could tell many tales and keep the franchise alive without Jack Sparrow. As long as the stories are good and the movies are fun they will be fine.

confirmed

rizzo_s_rat_cruises_ltd__by_groovy_gecko-d98gdny.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well apparently Disney wasn't satisfied killing the Star Wars franchise now they look to be aiming at POTC. Apparently they have decided to revitalize the franchise with the writers of Deadpool, the elimination of Depp and the main character of a female pirate based on the new pirate in the ride... On the bright side I won't be spending any money on tickets to that POTC movies.

FAKE NEWS.

Nothing's been decided unless you care to back up your claim with a link?

Captain Barbossa

Given Sean Bailey is the chief of Disney Studios and said he is out I'm not sure how much more official you need it to be to be from Disney... what do you expect Mickey Mouse stating it?
Read the interview. Sean didn’t even mention his name, he simply danced around the question. There has been no announcement/statement from Sean Bailey or anyone from the studios saying that Johnny won’t be in P6. (if there is a P6) The only thing that was said about Johnny leaving the franchise, was when Stuart Beattie (no connection to the studios since 2003) decided that he needed some attention a few months ago.

Captain Barbossa

Here is the official question that Hollywood Reporter asked Sean Bailey and his response.

0EB09CA5-0E0A-4150-AA14-83365565CFB3.png

Bailey’s response is to the question about the new writers and a possible reboot. He doesn’t even acknowledge the question about Johnny, which just simply asks if he thought the franchise could survive if Johnny wasn’t in any future films. No official confirmation about Johnny, P6, or anything.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was reported by some media outlets that Depp was out the other day. That may well be presumptuous.

But honestly - the sparrow character long ran its course...and he charges them a fortune. Disney has been playing hardball with all their staring actors of late...I expect that to continue and become norm. Lots of reboots too...money with no effort/thought/creativity.

Bob is getting his pool resurfaced...that ain’t cheap

Last edited:

thomas998

Original Poster
Here is the official question that Hollywood Reporter asked Sean Bailey and his response.

View attachment 336228

Bailey’s response is to the question about the new writers and a possible reboot. He doesn’t even acknowledge the question about Johnny, which just simply asks if he thought the franchise could survive if Johnny wasn’t in any future films. No official confirmation about Johnny, P6, or anything.
And the question was asked because of earlier statements by Stuart Beattie back in October that Depp was not going to be in the future POTC movies, this was the opportunity for Bailey to set the record straight if the previous statement wasn't true. He didn't say anything to contradict the previous statement, I take that as acceptance that its true... but if you want to pretend otherwise that's your choice.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And the question was asked because of earlier statements by Stuart Beattie back in October that Depp was not going to be in the future POTC movies, this was the opportunity for Bailey to set the record straight if the previous statement wasn't true. He didn't say anything to contradict the previous statement, I take that as acceptance that its true... but if you want to pretend otherwise that's your choice. not saying one way or the other.

FTFY

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom