POTC: Attraction takes place after AWE? (spoilers!)

CoffeeJedi

Original Poster
When does the PotC attraction take place? I think it actually occurs sometime after "At World's End".

It can't take place before CotBP, as Barbossa wasn't a captain yet when he became Jack's first mate, and after the marooning, the 2 didn't see each other until the events of the film.

I'm going to guess that at some point Jack reclaims the Pearl from Barbossa (seriously, are they just going to doublecross each for possession of that ship until the end of time?) who gets a new ship and names it "The Wicked Wench" (the original name of the Pearl). As for the whereabouts of the Pearl itself, perhaps its moored somewhere nearby and Jack's crew is awaiting his return.

The element that doesn't fit that theory is Davey Jones still being out and about warning tourists floating around in caves. But I'm sure that there could be some explanation for that considering his ghost-like appearence.

My OTHER theory, is that the whole ride takes place as Jack's nightmare during his stay in the locker. We know that he was hallucinating (or objective reality there just breaks down in regards to your own mind, whatever), and we heard the sounds of the ride itself as our heroes entered the other realm, so perhaps this is all in Jack's mind. For that matter, could this be BARBOSSA'S nightmare about an endless, fruitless pursuit of Captain Jack as he makes the transition from one world to the next (the rest of the crew having their own fantasies at this time as well, just not getting theme park attractions made from them).

Thoughts?

DonaldDuck34

That is really interesting. I never really thought about it like that before. O and did anyone see where Jack is goin in the next movie i can't wait.:D

Imaginationeer

The ride story is a prequel to the first film. Davy Jones simply bears warning of the things to come. The wicked wench is inferred to be the balck pearl. Barbossa hears rumors of Sparrow's escape and comes seeking him and the treasure. Barbossa never gains proof of Sparrow's escape, as Sparrow beats him to the treasure. This is why Jack is hiding throughout the ride. Barbossa never sees Sparrow, nor does the rest of the crew. This is straight from imagineering as i have asked the question before.

CoffeeJedi

Original Poster
Ah, that does make some sense.
I did make the point that the WW in the attraction doesn't look much like the BP, but it got lost somewhere in editing my thoughts. I suppose a paint job and new sails could solve that, though why Barbossa would rename and repaint the ship back to its original look remains a mystery (perhaps to fool Jack?).

Did we ever get an answer as to why Bruckheimer wouldn't share the rights to the name "Black Pearl" with Disney?

ImaYoyo

Actually the Wicked Wench becomes the black pearl. It's burned and sinks to the bottom of the sea. That's when Jack makes a deal with Davy Jones to resurrect the pearl and make him captain. This accounts for the black charred color of the pearl.

hrcollectibles

That is really interesting. I never really thought about it like that before. O and did anyone see where Jack is goin in the next movie i can't wait.:D

Not necessarily.. Perhaps maybe they will do a prequel.. There are no set plans for more movies. Johnny Depp has been quoted as saying he would do more...

Cynderella

Considering POTC the ride has been around waaay before the movies, I thought the ride had nothing to do with the movies except for the addition of Jack and Barbossa but I thought they were just for added effects. :shrug: I didn't think there was any actual story behind adding them.

ImaYoyo

Considering POTC the ride has been around waaay before the movies, I thought the ride had nothing to do with the movies except for the addition of Jack and Barbossa but I thought they were just for added effects. :shrug: I didn't think there was any actual story behind adding them.
Oh common... it's Disney! There's ALWAYS a back-story!

CoffeeJedi

Original Poster
The dialogue makes it pretty clear that Barbossa is looking for Jack and the treasure room. Didn't you notice that Jack is hiding from the other pirates in his first two appearances?

I know I'm being a big continuity geek here, but why not? I guess it fits pretty well as a prequel as Imaginationeer as stated, too bad about the name of the ship being a glitch though. At least this one is easier to reconcile than Star Tours!

DonaldDuck34

Not necessarily.. Perhaps maybe they will do a prequel.. There are no set plans for more movies. Johnny Depp has been quoted as saying he would do more...

I read an article that was in one of the theards on this site that said Depp has already signed onto make a 4th one. And if u look at the map they r goin to florida. thats y i'm excited

SeanC

Factor in the Disneyland version and it gets more complicated...In that version as you float away from load and the restaurant (think Mexico pavillion for those never having been there) the last thing you see before entering the deserted beach section before the first drop (DL has two) is an old man sitting on a porch. There is faint banjo/guitar music playing. Theory supposes the rest of the ride is a memory of that old man, who was either a pirate or a citizen of the town being sacked. The music heard is remarkably similar (if not nearly identical, not sure), to the chords that Jack's father plays on his instrument...which could indicate the DL ride is in fact a memory of Jack's father. Given the age of the old man, that would put the ride after AWE but as a memory of events anytime during the timeline possibly including before the events of Curse.

CoffeeJedi

Original Poster
Good point SeanC, and a very interesting theory.

And what of the power-room ending? I've always assumed that the gunfight around the power kegs at the end of the DL attraction caused a cave-in that got the pirates trapped underground, as we see in the beginning.

DisneyDefenders

It must be...

My OTHER theory, is that the whole ride takes place as Jack's nightmare during his stay in the locker. We know that he was hallucinating (or objective reality there just breaks down in regards to your own mind, whatever), and we heard the sounds of the ride itself as our heroes entered the other realm, so perhaps this is all in Jack's mind.

It must be Jack's time in the locker...since there are multiple Jacks and all. :lookaroun

PurpleDragon

I heard the reason they didn't use the BP in the attraction was because one of the partner companies from the film did not want to give up rights to the BP design and thus would not allow it in the attraction, I could be wrong tho. I just thought I remember hearing that somewhere.

Grim Grinner

SPOILERS- Thar be warned!

I have a quick question about the end of POTC: EOW-

When you saw Will Turner's child at the end of the movie, didn't you think that he looked a lot like the kid who was placed in the hangman's noose?

Did they use the same child actor?

bauton

I thought the same thing about the kid!!

If we thought there was a lot of ride references in the first three movies, just think of the park references they can use while the characters tromp around in the Florida swamps.

Jack- this place is miserable!!!
Barbossa- Arr, there's nothing they could do to this place to get people to come here
Jack the Monkey- ooh, ooh, ooh
Barbossa- your right Jack, you never know, it is a small world after all?
Jack- oh come off it, you think someone would be daff enough to put some sort of boat ride in a place like this?

Walt1967

SPOILERS- Thar be warned!

I have a quick question about the end of POTC: EOW-

When you saw Will Turner's child at the end of the movie, didn't you think that he looked a lot like the kid who was placed in the hangman's noose?

Did they use the same child actor?

The child "hung" at the beginning of the movie was played by Brendyn Bell. Will and Elizabeth's son is played by Dominic Scott Kay.

CoffeeJedi

Original Poster
Quick and fun(?) bit of grammar. The past tense of 'hang' when it refers to the execution method, is actually 'hanged' instead of 'hung'.
Weird, huh?

At any rate, I doubt WDI will be including the bodies of hanged children in the attraction any time soon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom