Post-Check In Activities

poppin

I would normally agree with the OP. We did go to the parks on our check in day but only because we had a three day buffer at the beach before heading to WDW. We flew in from the Oregon and we needed a few days of acclimation before we dared step on Disney property lol

DreamalittleDisney

Our UK flights always seem to get in on the afternoon by the time we are through security and get to the resort with the time difference we dont do a park.

Our sons favourote thing is drop bags off go get the refillable mugs and then hit the pool!

Then we always hit HS the first day

Nottamus

We drive down from NJ straight through to Deltona Fl. (about 1hr north) on a saturday

Sunday morning we drive in that last hour...head to resort, drop our stuff at Bell services...sometimes check in at desk, OR since we checked in online...we head straight to AK with a few FPs until we get the "room ready" text.

head back in mid day...get all settled in, then grab a bite to eat, and figure out where to go in the evening.

Its a tough life, someone's got to do it....

John park hopper

We drive, we are about 6 hours away so we leave the house early and get to WDW about 10:00am check in unload the truck and go over to MK stay till about 6 head back to the resort and relax

Jon81uk

Our UK flights always seem to get in on the afternoon by the time we are through security and get to the resort with the time difference we dont do a park.

I've in the past flown in from the UK, done our usual night at Epcot to see Illuminiations and then found out there was extra magic hours at the Magic Kingdom, then before I knew it, its 2am, I've been awake for 24 hours!

mdcpr

I fly in, usually land by 8:30am. I go right to the parks as soon as I get off DME. I drop my bags with the bellhops and just go 🤗. I change into shorts at the bathroom in the airport if I don’t wear them on the plane 😁I pack my park backpack with any necessities for the day and put it in my carry on bag. I’m wiped out by late afternoon/dinner time (I’ve been up since 2:45am and probably got a lousy nights sleep on top of it), so I head back to the resort about then and eat dinner, get unpacked, am passed out before 9:00 😜

One year I flew in a day earlier than originally planned because airfare was so much cheaper. I did what you do and have a resort day/DS day. Just relax and wander.
You wrote 'drop bags with bellhops', you don't use Magic Express for your bags to be delivered to your room? Just asking because I'm debating if I want to use this service.

Raineman

Original Poster
I'm not sure if this is just a personal quirk or what, but, as I mentioned in the OP, we never hit the parks the day we arrive at our resort. It would not feel right for us to do that-it would almost have that same feeling as when you show up late to work, and you just feel out of step the rest of the day, if you know what I mean. Part of that may have something to do with our tradition of having breakfast at BoG to start our first park day, and spend the whole day at MK. Having said that, our first park day next month will be at MK, with the BoG breakfast-but the park closes early for MVMCP, so we will be eating dinner and spending the rest of the day at Epcot. My DW wanted to spend our first park day at DAK, because of the early closing-my DD and I told her that's sacrilegious and very, very wrong :D

Weather_Lady

You wrote 'drop bags with bellhops', you don't use Magic Express for your bags to be delivered to your room? Just asking because I'm debating if I want to use this service.

FWIW, we do something very similar to the poster you were replying to. We go carryon-only and never check a bag or use DME luggage delivery. If traveling during cold months, we put a pair of shorts in an outside pocket of our luggage and change into them during our airport potty stop, en route to the DME counter. Once at our hotel, we leave our bags with Bell Services and we're off! (*Note that our not using DME luggage delivery is just a matter of personal preference: from what I've read on here, it's very reliable. I just prefer not to check bags whenever I can help it, and we pack very light, so hauling our own bags is not burdensome.)

JustAFan

Some neat thoughts here. We check in and head straight to MK. Gotta see Main Stree USA and the castle to feel like we're there. This next trip will be different though because we're arriving so late.

utterlunacy

This is a nice service, which we do use. The only drawback is that it can sometimes be a few hours after check in to get those bags to your room, depending on how busy they are at the time. So, if you are planning a pool day or need to change clothes before heading to DTD or a park I would have that change of clothes or pool attire packed separately in a carry on. Unless you are flying in your bathing suit, in which case rock on!

Heppenheimer

We never hit the parks the first day. We generally book flights that arrive early-to-mid afternoon, which puts us at our hotel mid-to-late afternoon, so it seems like a poor use of a park ticket to go right away.

We've usually used that first day for any number of activities, including pool time, resort hopping or Disney Springs.

CapeCodTenor

It's been years since, I've been down, but I always checked in and then meandered around the resort checking things out before heading to Downtown Disney. I would sometimes take a dip in the pool before heading over to Downtown Disney.

jaklgreen

It depends on when my flight arrives. The earliest I can get there is after 2 pm so by the time I get to the resort and get all settled(assuming my room is ready) I am pretty tired. Some trips I do go to the parks, but most trips I just end up going to DS and having dinner there.

The Mighty Tim

Despite the 9 hour flight and 5 hour time difference from the UK, my usual routine is to check in, dump bags, shower, change, then head to a park. Usually MK, though sometimes we'll get on the first park bus, wherever it's going. At this point, I'm usually running on a mixture of adrenaline and excitement and I need to burn it off.

I have this thing called the "Plane to Pirates" time, which is the time it takes from the seatbelt lights switching off on the plane upon arrival to boarding the first ride, traditionally Pirates of the Caribbean. The official record stands at 3 hours 33 minutes in 2015, however that was to Spaceship Earth in EPCOT since POTC was being refurbed at the time. In 2018, I measured 3 hours 47 minutes from Plane to Pirates. A time of 2 hours 45 minutes was set in 2012, but I didn't make a proper note of the start time, so I regard that as unofficial!

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I feel like its different every time we go. This upcoming trip, we are checking in early in the morning and leaving the rest of the afternoon up to spontaneity. That evening are will be spending it around the boardwalk by going to Cape May Cafe for dinner then over to Jellyrolls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom