Possible Interactive Element on Little Mermaid

SceneStealer

Original Poster
Possible Interactive Element on rides?

Hi WDWMagic members:

I saw this posted on a couple of websites but I wonder if this could be one of the interactive elements they'll add to the new Little Mermaid ride or for the Living with the Seas pavillion. possibly like a virtual fish tank.

What comes to mind is petting virtual Mantay Rays, or Turtles.

I could see this being very interactive but I can also see alot of people splashing water around or the water getting dirty.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/07/disney-research-touche-touch-system/

Any thoughts?

the-reason14

Wow, that's pretty amazing and creepy at the same time. I remember reading something about this on here a few years ago I believe. Something about a touch screen feeling like a physical keyboard and all that fancy stuff. Interested to see where this goes.

devoy1701

that stuff is crazy! It's cool to think that Disney Research is looking into technology advances. I assume that they partner with other software and research companies though? I don't think that/couldn't imagine that Disney would be researching this tech alone? They have a history of recent of acquiring or partnering for this type of stuff rather than developing from within. I don't know much at all about Disney Research though.

Magenta Panther

There's a discussion here on the boards somewhere about holograms. Now (Rod Serling voice) imagine, if you will, a hologram combined with this new interactive technology... you could actually interact, even "touch", a holographic image. Imagine the interactivity of that! You could shake hands with a hologram of a cartoon Mickey Mouse or Roger Rabbit...you could maybe actually hold a conversation with them. Uber-coolness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::D

tl77

I guess they could use this to make the hand rails in the ride vehicles "touch sensitive", but anytime I see something like this my first thought is "this is how stuff like "The Matrix" and "The Terminator" will begin" BEWARE THE RISE OF THE MACHINES!!! :lol:

jumblue

I guess they could use this to make the hand rails in the ride vehicles "touch sensitive", but anytime I see something like this my first thought is "this is how stuff like "The Matrix" and "The Terminator" will begin" BEWARE THE RISE OF THE MACHINES!!! :lol:

"If the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."

Yet.

WED Purist

Huh?

1. I assume that they partner with other software and research companies though? I don't think that/couldn't imagine that Disney would be researching this tech alone? They have a history of recent of acquiring or partnering for this type of stuff rather than developing from within.
2. I don't know much at all about Disney Research though.

Those are antithetical statements.

DisneyWall-E

On September 29th, 2012 the pirates became self aware.:ROFLOL:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Might be pretty interesting in concert with the Next Gen stuff on the horizon. I could see this being paired with a Kingdom Keepers theme for another, or the second generation of a Sorcerers of the MK type interactive experience.

NowInc

..I know I'm going to sound mean by saying this but realize that is not my intent...

This is a News and Rumors section. This thread is basically no more than the OP thinking it would be a great idea, but the misleading title suggests a rumor of a "tie in" between the two elements. I just don't want people reading into it and thinking that there is something brewing that isn't.

That being said, it is a cool technology, but I don't think they are going to be implementing it in the parks. As odd as it sounds, if Imagineers have plans for it, they wouldn't have released the tech demo video that they did. They would keep it under wraps so no competition can beat them to the punch.

Alektronic

Maybe it can be used to keep guest butts in their seats. Link it to the Next Gen for 3 strikes and you are out.

Actually, you are pretty close. They are using them as "butt sensors" right now to tell if someone is actually sitting in a seat. It is being used in Dinosaur and TT in conjunction with the seat belt system.

SceneStealer

Original Poster
..I know I'm going to sound mean by saying this but realize that is not my intent...

This is a News and Rumors section. This thread is basically no more than the OP thinking it would be a great idea, but the misleading title suggests a rumor of a "tie in" between the two elements. I just don't want people reading into it and thinking that there is something brewing that isn't. ...

I've updated the title of this message thread so as to not construe its for any specific ride. sorry for the confusion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom