Portal to Batuu?

theguitarman

Original Poster
Wondering if anyone can help me understand how I got to Batuu today. I was spending the day at DHS and waking around. I went under a bridge and about halfway through, I noticed a distinct change in the walls. When I came out the other end, I was millions of miles away from Earth on Batuu. I tried talking to some locals to understand what happened, but they hadn’t really explored over there much. One told me maybe the secret is in the cave that I walked through, and another said someone had built a portal to allow people to get to Batuu. Does anyone have more information on how people are getting from DHS to Batuu?

Movielover

Wondering if anyone can help me understand how I got to Batuu today. I was spending the day at DHS and waking around. I went under a bridge and about halfway through, I noticed a distinct change in the walls. When I came out the other end, I was millions of miles away from Earth on Batuu. I tried talking to some locals to understand what happened, but they hadn’t really explored over there much. One told me maybe the secret is in the cave that I walked through, and another said someone had built a portal to allow people to get to Batuu. Does anyone have more information on how people are getting from DHS to Batuu?
giphy.gif

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

1580296561891.png
1580296561891.png
1580296561891.png

theguitarman

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I certainly can follow your advice, however, just thought I would check and see if there was an “official” backstory, as they often have some explanation.

Jon81uk

I was in a Hollywood movie studio, having just passed the Chinese theatre, when suddenly I am the size of a small toy and in a kids backyard where there is a Slinky Dog you can get inside and ride on a roller coaster track. Any idea which child built these toys and how I managed to get so small all of a sudden?

Epcot_Imagineer

Thanks for the replies! I certainly can follow your advice, however, just thought I would check and see if there was an “official” backstory, as they often have some explanation.
I'd like to think I know a lot of odd Star Wars lore things, but with how much has changed over the last three movies I'm not sure how much I could assist. I thought I had a solid handle on how lightspeed and hyperspace work in Star Wars, but episodes 8 and 9 demolished almost all current working knowledge of that, so I'm at a loss on how Battuu would work.

Movielover

Are people also confused when they walk 5 feet away from Tomorrowland and find themselves in a Victorian era Tea Party with gigantic cups ?

Or How about in AK where you are in Asia, walk past the Himalayas, round a corner and find yourself in mid America?

Don't over think land transitions.

WishStar

I love paying attention to the "transition" as I go from one land to the next in the parks. It's fun to experience the transition and then, the next time through, to notice the specific elements that make that moment feel the way it does. This can happen at the resorts as well. There is a bridge over the river at Port Orleans Riverside that is the dividing point between the bayou and mansion sections of the resort. Look one direction and the view is all traditional southern charm. Look the other direction, towards the bayou section, and it's a totally different feel. There are obvious and not so obvious reasons why this is so. The details of it are what make the experience so satisfying. I have not gone to Batuu yet but am looking forward to going this summer. From what I have seen in pictures the transition into Batuu from either entrance seems pretty quick but the theming inside the land looks very detailed. Can't wait!

JIMINYCR

Walking through the cave sets you up for the transition. Disney does subtle things to make you alter your perspective when you go from one area to the next. Sometimes its the change of music you encounter, the crossing of a bridge, a change of landscape, architecture or the pathway you walk on. The transitioning points are often not in your face noticed until your mind tells you youve entered something different.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

I'd like to think I know a lot of odd Star Wars lore things, but with how much has changed over the last three movies I'm not sure how much I could assist. I thought I had a solid handle on how lightspeed and hyperspace work in Star Wars, but episodes 8 and 9 demolished almost all current working knowledge of that, so I'm at a loss on how Battuu would work.
3nv6ej.jpg

rct247

It isn't so much as how you got there, because that is all your imagination and your mind just accepting it. Imagineers do try to transition us though. Sometimes it is very subtle and other times not so much. Tunnels & bridges are the most common transition.

Liberty Square transitions to Frontierland as if you are traveling from New England all the way to California. The official transition between the two lands is a small bridge that represents the Mississippi River. Splash Mountain threw this off a little bit, but we accept it.​
Frontierland to Adventureland via Pirates is the blending of Spanish architecture from the wild west to the Spanish architecture of the Caribbean.​
The transition from Hollywood Boulevard to Sunset Boulevard is just a street, but you switch decades from the 1930s to the 1940s. The transition is also supposed to reflect "date night" as you start the date off shopping around town until it's time to grab dinner (Hollywood Brown Derby) and take in a show. This explains why many facades on Sunset Boulevard are theaters. All leading to the end of the night at the romantic hotel.​
Toy Story Land is more abrupt, but you'll notice the transition of lots of "grassy" plants and the change in concrete. On the Galaxy's Edge side, you'll notice how the Toy Story Land side had toy versions of the same lamp posts that the Galaxy's Edge side does. You might be able to infer that Galaxy's Edge might just be more of Andy's space-themed playsets like his Buzz Lightyear one nearby.​
Most World Showcase countries have abrupt transitions, but the transition from the UK to France is supposed to represent the English Channel. I've also heard that Mexico and Canada are the first countries we come to, because they are our neighbors here in the US.​
In Asia, you transition from the low lands of Asia (India) and you trek toward the highlands as you get closer to Everest. The pathways gentle incline and you can see it in the concrete where you go from mud to more of a rocky path.​
Future World transitions had the breezeways that led into the different sides of the brain: the left side was the analytical side with computational fields like energy, health & medicine, transportation, inventions, and space exploration. The right side was more emotional and natural with the seas, the land, the arts, and our imagination. The walkways and landscape even showed this. Pathways are curved on the right and angular on the left. Then leading into World Showcase is the world at our senses in front of us.​

StarWarsGirl

I just walked in and somehow ended up in the UK, then in Canada, then I was back in Florida, then I took a trip around the world on a hangglider in less than 10 minutes. Then I left the planet, came back, then went to Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, and now I'm back in the States.

I have no explanation other than a transporter from Star Trek.

theguitarman

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

To everyone comparing this to all other land transitions, I would counter by saying that this particular area seems to have much more backstory/depth to it. CM’s in World Showcase don’t respond as if you are actually in the other. country. Whereas CM’s in Batuu, according to what I have read, were encouraged to develop a character and backstory. Batuu was mentioned in at least one SW book to help establish where it fit in the SW universe. It’s also the only land in WDW where they ask for a “different” type of currency. I haven’t heard of any other lands going to these lengths to create as immersive of an experience for guests to actually pretend to be in a foreign land. The new SW hotel sounds like it may take things even further. So, I decided to ask if there was some interesting story, since this land seems like a step towards the next level for WDW.

I’m enjoying the comments on transition details, thanks everyone!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom