Port Orleans - Your Thoughts

HeroesandVillians

Ack! That's right! Arrrrrrgh...
Dogs are only in a certain area of each resort where they are allowed so only guests with dogs stay in a room where a dog would have been, if that makes sense. If you ever want to be extra sure, when you are booking tell them you have a pet allergy since a service animal can stay in any room, they will sanitize the heck out of your room :)

DPN

We just got back from staying at POR. It’s really big and we walked a lot. There would be even more walking if we stayed in Alligator Bayou. It seemed that the bus filled up really fast as well. I would recommend FQ since it is smaller, in my opinion the food is better there anyway. We ended up making the walk three times from Riverside to FQ just for beignets, Po boys and gumbo!

HouCuseChickie

We stayed at POR back in 2016. While there are things I really did like about it, I'd be concerned about the walking. Not sure if this is going to come through or not, but we were in the cheapest room category (part of a group rate for that trip) and were in the Magnolia building (right side- of map and where our room was located)) on the first floor. It was a really easy walk to the east bus depot, both the main pool and the quiet pool, and a pretty easy walk to the main lobby and marina (boat to DS). That being said, as you can see by the map, many rooms/buildings do not afford you all of that walking convenience.

On top of this, the buses back from the park were miserably crowded, we wound up taking the boat to POFQ whenever coming back from DS because the wait for the POR boat was insane (which meant walking back to POR from POFQ- not good if you have walking issues), and while I know they've been updating rooms...our beds during our stay were horrible (in all of our group's rooms). Now, hopefully they've got the beds fixed, but walking and busing could still be an issue. If it were me, I'd probably go with WL just to skip some of the concern.

(borrowed from POR site)
1526577121154.png

BoarderPhreak

We just got back from staying at POR. It’s really big and we walked a lot. There would be even more walking if we stayed in Alligator Bayou. It seemed that the bus filled up really fast as well. I would recommend FQ since it is smaller, in my opinion the food is better there anyway. We ended up making the walk three times from Riverside to FQ just for beignets, Po boys and gumbo!
Been there, done that. It's not that bad. A quick walk in one direction got us to the first bus stop of West Depot (pickup; last on drop-off, IIRC). The central area was a bit of a longer walk over Ol' Man Island, I'll give you that. But it wasn't bad, really.

L1008196.jpg

spock8113

We stayed at the Port Orleans back in the early 2000's when it was dark, shady and musty. Since then it got a complete do-over and we love it.
They've brightened it up, cut back on the too-many-trees, fresh paint and brighter colors. It's basically new, private and peaceful.
We stayed in the building at the far right in back on the river, really nice and you can hop a boat to Pleasure Island, Downtown Disney or Disney Springs.
We also stayed at Riverside in one of the Bayou Buildings. Just as nice in a different way. Got an otter show every morning.
Don't care for Caribbean Beach or Coronado, too big.

What does everyone think of the new hotel at Carib Beach.
For me, way to big, way too ugly and it looks like it belongs on the Vegas Strip.

me and my wife have always stayed at Disneys Port Orleans resort, we used to stay in riverside which is lovely and quiet if your deep in the bayou areas. but we have over the past few years discovered the French Quarter and we love it! the music the deco the food LOVE IT!
OP - you and your hubby may find FQ easier to navigate as the resort is smaller and compact making things closer to walk rather than the spread out vast riverside.

have a great trip!

Missing_Aria

I enjoyed Riverside with my girlfriend because there were very few kids. I'd request one of the closer rooms though cause it can be a bit spread out (we stayed in the Bayou right next to the restaurant and that was nice). I liked staying in the Bayou because we were last on the bus route which meant it was quicker to get to the parks but a bit longer to get home which was fine by me cause I needed that time to rest up some after walking the park. The bus routes are definitely shared between both Port Orleans resorts though so it can get a bit crowded in a hurry. Riverside's rooms are really nice and they feel pretty deluxe to me with all the details (maybe I'm just trashy though, idk XD) and I enjoyed the food. I also seriously don't think any resort has a better counter service theme period (Waterwheel FTW).

LeighM

I enjoyed Riverside with my girlfriend because there were very few kids. I'd request one of the closer rooms though cause it can be a bit spread out (we stayed in the Bayou right next to the restaurant and that was nice). I liked staying in the Bayou because we were last on the bus route which meant it was quicker to get to the parks but a bit longer to get home which was fine by me cause I needed that time to rest up some after walking the park. The bus routes are definitely shared between both Port Orleans resorts though so it can get a bit crowded in a hurry. Riverside's rooms are really nice and they feel pretty deluxe to me with all the details (maybe I'm just trashy though, idk XD) and I enjoyed the food. I also seriously don't think any resort has a better counter service theme period (Waterwheel FTW).

The POR/FQ buses are shared during slow times at the parks or maybe early morning pre park opening times. They are shared for Disney Springs but I've never been on a shared bus at peak times for the parks.

Missing_Aria

The POR/FQ buses are shared during slow times at the parks or maybe early morning pre park opening times. They are shared for Disney Springs but I've never been on a shared bus at peak times for the parks.

I went in late September so that was possibly the difference. They were shared the whole time for us. Occasionally a fresh/no one on it bus would show up for us but that was rare.

Tom 55

I have stayed at both Riverside and French Quarter. I prefer FQ because of its smaller size. Only one bus stop. At slow time bus stops at FQ before RS. So you have a better chance of getting a seat. Only negative no fancy restaurant but you can walk to Boatrights.

ppet

Definitely POFQ. Not only is it the smallest resort, but I've always felt it was the most "Adultish" (new word) of the moderate resorts. My DD and DS loved POR but it felt like you were running a marathon getting everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom