Port Orleans - Your Thoughts

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
First some background, DW and I are planning a little WDW get away just the two of us when DS goes back to college. We talked about this and set it as a goal during our year of hell. DW went through Chemo/radiation and then I had my knee replaced. We are both up and “running” now. “Knock –wood.”
We stayed at “Dixie Landing” once many years ago and then switched to deluxe resorts when DS came along. Other than one visit at Animal Kingdom Lodge, we have always stayed in the Magic kingdom resort area and over the years have stayed at the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and my favorite the Contemporary.
Now as it will be just the two of us, and to save some money, we are looking at Port Orleans French Quarter or possibly Riverside. I know a moderate is not a deluxe but we do not need all the bells and whistles anymore.
My DW is concerned that either resort would be too much walking for me and I am concerned about the same thing for her. Our back up plan would be the Wilderness Lodge. Your inputs are most welcome. Thank You

Last edited:

disneyworlddad

For your situation I can't recommend POFQ enough! It is small and very easy to navigate. In fact it is the smallest on property. My wife and I find it very romantic, even thought we had our DS with us (1 1/2). It also wasn't overrun with kids. Seemed to be a lot more adults. The only downside some people see is there are no table service restaurants there. It didn't matter to us as we were eating at other table service restaurants. You can even take the boat down to the turf club or Disney Springs for a nice meal.

ppete1975

I would stay at riverside. It feels newer and nicer and more spaced out.. to me fq feels like a regular hotel and you are on top of each other. It also has a nice inexpensive (for Disney) sit down.. I always have my breakfast there. Transportation is amazing. Buses are frequent.. and theres a boat that takes you to Disney springs (honestly this is so relaxing and feels disneyish to me) they have a nice pool (not my thing) and show movies outside at night (with free popcorn if I remember), it just feels homely.. and if you are like me and use the magic express you can forget your worries.. arrive then don't think about anything but happiness (no traffic, no cars)

WDWJeffC37

For the two of you I would whole-heartedly recommend POFQ. As has been said before it is the smallest resort. It has only one bus stop and usually a more adult clientele. The boat to Disney Springs can eliminate any worries about restaurants. My wife and I found it to be quite cozy and romantic, especially at night. We have recently been staying at the Coronado Spring resort love it over there but it is a larger resort. Have fun! No kids trips are great. Cheers!!!!!

Dayma

Port Orleans RiverSide is really nice. I would suggest that you pay up and get a room closer to the central area. Without that there is a decent amount of walking.

LeighM

While Riverside is my favorite moderate, I would have to recommend French Quarter since there are mobility concerns. French Quarter is also in the middle of room refurbishments with Riverside's Alligator Bayou starting later this summer, I think.

BoarderPhreak

It's a great resort in terms of amenities, grounds, central area and food options and the rooms are really nice (and getting better) too. I tend to prefer POR because it comes up under discounts while POFQ does not. Another difference is the former is a bit sprawling while the latter is much smaller; this impacts bus service - the former has a bunch more stops and it takes longer. You can easily go from one side to the other to enjoy what each has to offer, which is nice. Probably my favorite Moderate resort(s).

If you're really into EC, check out the Swan/Dolphin. You can easily walk there along the Boardwalk, take a boat, Minnie Van or bus. Moderate level pricing, Deluxe level rooms (sans theming).

MTBaymax

My last staycation was at Riverside (not by choice - the value hotels were snapped up), and it was absolutely lovely. My friend made it so our room was literally across the bus stop; the eats are good; the atmosphere sublime.

DisAl

We have been to both. For our 40th anniversary trip we spent a week at POFQ and loved it. We did POR for the last family trip and enjoyed it too, but for the adult trip POFQ would be my choice.
If you choose POFQ when you make your reservation explain your mobility issues and request a room as close to the main building as possible; the bus stop is right in front of the main building. CALL rather than making the res on line because the CM can add notes to your reservation request that you cannot. If you choose POR ask for a preferred room close to a bus stop. At POFQ either building 3 or building 4 will put you close to both the main building and a parking lot.
Ask for a ground floor room. Walking to an elevator can double your walking distance if you end up with a room far from the elevator. Also, I think some of the buildings at both POFQ and POR may NOT have elevators. Be sure you ask if that is an issue.
POFQ doesn't have a full service restaurant but that was not an issue for us because we had ADRs at other locations for all of our meals.
However it you do stay at POFQ make sure you try the beignets at Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory!

durangojim

For us the couple of times we stayed at Riverside it was too large and the busses were horrible. POFQ is our favorite moderate because of its smaller size. It is an absolutely beautiful resort and very romantic in the evening as it feels like you’re walking down a wonderful street in the garden district of New Orleans. Also the busses have always been very good there because there’s only one stop.

wagner1225

Both would be a good choice, Our favorite is always WL, but FQ is also a nice place and boat to Disney Springs, we stay POR in the past and its a nice area

Dutch Inn '76

While Riverside is my favorite moderate, I would have to recommend French Quarter since there are mobility concerns. French Quarter is also in the middle of room refurbishments with Riverside's Alligator Bayou starting later this summer, I think.

This, exactly. I prefer the old Dixie Landings, but Port Orleans is smaller and easier to get around.

crawale

First some background, DW and I are planning a little WDW get away just the two of us when DS goes back to college. We talked about this and set it as a goal during our year of hell. DW went through Chemo/radiation and then I had my knee replaced. We are both up and “running” now. “Knock –wood.”
We stayed at “Dixie Landing” once many years ago and then switched to deluxe resorts when DS came along. Other than one visit at Animal Kingdom Lodge, we have always stayed in the Magic kingdom resort area and over the years have stayed at the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and my favorite the Contemporary.
Now as it will be just the two of us, and to save some money, we are looking at Port Orleans French Quarter or possibly Riverside. I know a moderate is not a deluxe but we do not need all the bells and whistles anymore.
My DW is concerned that either resort would be too much walking for me and I am concerned about the same thing for her. Our back up plan would be the Wilderness Lodge. Your inputs are most welcome. Thank You
Just know that Riverside allows dogs. I would not want to sleep in a bed where a dog might have slept but that is just my preference. French Quarter though is great - boat ride to Disney Springs is a good option for dining and shopping. I would avoid Coronado and Caribbean Beach which sound like they are more a construction site than a hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom