Port Orleans versus Pop Century

sambahat

My family has always stayed at one of the All Star resorts because we normally don't spend too much time in the hotels. However, I'm considering upgrading to a moderate for our upcoming September '09 trip... most likely Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ).

POFQ looks like a beautiful place - especially considering the price. However, upon closer inspection of some pictures, the site itself looks very similar to one of the All Star resorts. For example, the basic shape and layout of the buildings look the same. Also, with the exception of the colors, curtains, and fixtures, the rooms are the same.

Are there any advantages (transportation, dining, etc) to staying at POFQ other than the theme?

Jessie&Buzz

I loved POFQ. It was so much quieter than the All Stars. We were in building 4 which was very close to the food court. We walked out our door, down a path and across the parking lot to the bus stop. I thought the room was nicer. There are 2 sinks, a curtain that you can close when using the sink area, and a fridge in the room. The curtain came in handy for me when I was getting ready in the morning and the kids were still sleeping. The light didn't bother them.

I thought that the transportation was very reliable. We didn't have to wait long for any buses. We didn't get to ride the boat to DTD, but it's offered.

Upvote 0

jen2009

We always stay at POFQ. Have never stayed anywhere else. We stay in building five and always get a room on the corner with courtyard and river view on the top floor. The boats to DTD are great. Nice quiet boat ride there. The bus generally stops at POFQ before Riverside. Never had a problem with buses. The food court is okay. We like to take the 10 min stroll or the boat from POFQ to Riverside to eat at Boatwrights. Either way we love POFQ. It is also were we will be staying for our pre-wedding and honeymoon. The resort is small and quiet. Everything is centrally located and did I mention quiet. It is very peaceful there. Sometimes we even splurge for the horse drawn carriage ride. Hope this helps.:)

Upvote 0

pinkrose

Port Orleans French Quarter is my favorite moderate. It's a bigger resort and as a pp said, it's very peaceful. The gardens are really pretty and I love the cobblestone "roads". I also like that it's a smaller resort and you are never far away from anything. We have not had problems with the transportation either.

The rooms are also larger than All Stars.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation which ever place you stay!

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Some of the advantages...

-The moderates offer better amenities than the value resorts do.
-Rooms are larger than the values
-They don't have as many rooms which makes transportation easier.
-You have a boat to and from DTD from either Port Orleans resort.
-The bus stops at the parks aren't as far away for the Moderates.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
POFQ is a beautiful resort! I love the theming! It is the smallest of the moderates so it's not that hard to get around. The dragon slide at the pool is very popular. To me this hotel is very tranquil especially back by the Sassagoula. You will love it!

Pam

Upvote 0

shmmrname

I love PO:FQ, and after being treated to the 'Moderates', it really is hard to go back to the 'Values'. I've only stayed at All-Star Movies, and it was a good time. And, if we absolutely had to cut some of our vacation budget, we'd be open to it coming at the Resort expense. But, thus far, we've avoided having to make that decision.
There's just more of a 'resort' feel, in my opinion, when you upgrade into the moderates. It's nice to have a sit-down restaurant at a walking distance, and the themeing seems much more tasteful, again though it's only my opinion.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

I've stayed at all three - value, moderate, and deluxe. And, honestly, moderates are my favorite. Don't get me wrong, deluxes are great...but I love the food courts. Values are ok for what they are (All Star Music, I think is the best out of all of them). But, as others have said, the main difference between value and moderate is the atmosphere. They're much more laid-back and "mature". The themeing is much more detailed and "authentic", I suppose. Of course, with French Quarter/Riverside, you get the bike and boat rental options, where as you don't have those at the values.
My vote is that you splurge a bit and go with a moderate (also look into Riverside...even if you don't stay there, take a walk down to the resort and look around...it's been my all-time favorite resort for a loooong time). Trust me, they're worth the extra money, and you'll see a world of difference between how the two catagories (value and moderate) look and feel.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

I've posted this before and other people have said it's helped them understand the differences between Moderates and Values, so here goes:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
CSR has full room service, and a gym.
Values are much more "kid-themed" and fun-looking and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

In my opinion they are very, very different. Much more quite at POFQ than the All Stars or Pop. The rooms are a little bigger as well. We prefer Port Orleans Riverside though over FQ. It is bigger, nicer landscaping and a larger foot court and has Boatwrights which is a very nice place to eat. Either resort though is very nice.

Upvote 0

vwayfan123

I've posted this before and other people have said it's helped them understand the differences between Moderates and Values, so here goes:

Value rooms don't.

Value rooms have 1 sink.

Values have neither.

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).

At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

Values are much more "kid-themed" and fun-looking and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.

Also at the value resorts you can only have pizza delivered to the room, no room service.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Value rooms don't.

Value rooms have 1 sink.

Values have neither.

At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

I think your post pretty much sums this thing up.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Also at the value resorts you can only have pizza delivered to the room, no room service.
Yes, anything that's the same between the Moderates and Values didn't make the list. Mods and Values are alike in that they don't have room service, just in-house pizza delivery. The exception to this is CSR, so I itemized that in the "extra credit" section at the end.

Upvote 0

shmmrname

I think your post pretty much sums this thing up.

Great List.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but on our lone trip at the ASM, the buses were often shared, and we would have to wait for multiple stops on each commute. The Moderates have different internal stops, besides POFQ, but overall I really thought it was a little more efficient at the Moderates. But, then again, it was only 1 trip at the ASM (value) versus at least 1 trip at each moderate. We've been lucky enough to stay at AKL on our last 2 trips, and the buses are actually one of the worst features, unless your going to AK. So, it's not a deal-breaker, just something to think about.

Oh yeah, and Coronado's food court is better than all the others I've stayed at...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom