Port Orleans Riverside

carriebeth

Original Poster
going to give Caribbean Beach a try. Anybody stayed there???
Just stayed there less than a month ago. I loved it. Prior to this we only stayed at Coronado Springs because that's where my husband liked so I don't have a lot to compare it to. Now,however, we have to stay at resorts that allow 5 per room as another of our children needs to be ticketed and accounted for. I thought it was prettier than Coronado as far as the buildings. I think Caribbean just appeals to me more than Southwestern. We were in Jamaica and it was a perfect location I thought. The bridge walkway to the main pool and Port Royale was a lovely walk. The pool was great. I thought the waterslides were better than Coronados and the kid swimming area was fantastic and well loved by my smallest children. The food court had some points I liked better than Cornados and some I liked less...so overall I would rate them equal in my eyes. I liked how the main pool and main building with food court etc were close together. There were other little things...like the kids getting swords and eye patches or wands on check in that was a great little plus too. Coronado has elevators which is a plus for them. I was a pain to try to get 2 strollers up stairs after long park days with 4 sleeping children. Both Coronado and Caribbean have the pull doors dividing the sink area of the bathroom section from the main room. I love that. I believe some have curtains. I like the doors. I could get up super early and get dressed and get makeup and everything on with the doors pulled and basically no light seeped through and woke children. Then I could wake them one by one and dress them in there before getting the next up.

We

carriebeth

Original Poster
avoid online check in and make sure I walk up to the desk and check in with someone
we do online check in but always stop at the desk when we get there anyways, too. Some resorts give things to the kids at the check in. This year we got our text our rooms were ready and the location and it was the least desirable location to us. So we asked if we could switch. Since we needed 2 rooms together there was only one other choice but it was a much better choice for us. This year I online checked in with preferences noted. Faxed them 5 days prior with preferences listed. We had a problem all along for months and months with our rooms not linking up and they would fix them and a week later they would unlink again...it was crazy and I spent so many hours on the phone every couple weeks relinking everything...but we also called 2 days prior to make sure our rooms were still showing as linked and that we wanted rooms next to each other. Still we got none of our preferences!

carriebeth

Original Poster
Does anyone know if every room in the alligator bayou area has the pull down beds? We found out at Caribbean that no two adjoining rooms both have pull down beds so if you have to have 2 pull down rooms they won't have an adjoining door (or at least that's what we were told at the check in desk)

kayawildfire

Not every room in Alligator Bayou has the murphy beds, but I think most do. We stayed in connecting rooms with our 6 kids in Alligator Bayou and both rooms had 2 queen beds and the murphy beds. And they didn't originally give us connecting rooms at Riverside even though we requested them. Our tip, don't back down. The manager magically found us three choices of connecting rooms and we got to pick. And since it was in a lower room category, they refunded us the difference. There aren't elevators, so that's unfortunate, but we were lucky to get a first floor room. The bonus of Alligator Bayou is the bus though. The West Depot, which serves Alligator Bayou, is usually the first stop in the mornings in our two stays at the resort, so you should be able to get on the bus easily.

BlackCauldron

Does anyone know if every room in the alligator bayou area has the pull down beds? We found out at Caribbean that no two adjoining rooms both have pull down beds so if you have to have 2 pull down rooms they won't have an adjoining door (or at least that's what we were told at the check in desk)

The only rooms in AB that do not have the Murphy beds are the handicapped accessible rooms.

BigRedDad

POR is a beautiful resort. It is not swampy at all. It use to be called Dixie Landings until the PC police came around. It is modeled off the old plantation manors and areas off the Mississippi river. Probably the most beautiful moderate resort. Staying there will not disappoint.

Now, you asked about the buses. In my experience and people will argue completely, the buses cost as an entire day of our vacation. In a 7 day/6 night stay, we waited well over 6 hours on buses the first 2 days. I will not go into details about it again. However, after wasting that much time for POR, we found taking the bus to/from POFQ was far faster and more reliable. We just had to walk to our room along the river. This was not a bad thing and saved us many hours.

EvilQueen-T

We've stayed at both resorts. I prefer POR honestly. The rooms are the same size at both resorts so that's a wash for me. The buildings don't feel as spread out at POR for me. I prefer that the check in area, food court etc.... is in one location as compared to CBR. I love the pool theme at CBR but didn't like how the tall turrets block my view of the kids in the pool if I don't want to be in all the time. I also don't like the seating area there for both regular pool seating or if you want to visit the bar it seemed out of the way compared to POR. The POR areas do have a swampy woodsy south east feel...but it's pretty accurate to the theme lol but you don't really notice to be honest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom