Port orleans riverside

JannyWDW

Hey folks :
My herd is staying at Riverside very soon. We were wondering if we could learn the differences b/w the mansion area and the alligator bayou? My kids don't like the woods so do the mansions have more open space and less bushes? My sister in law mentioned snakes which already has my family buzzing. I dont remember which resort she was at but the last thing we want to do is worry about that.I'll never sleep! LOL:ROFLOL:

ml123_9

The bayou section is more woodsy and feels a bit more secluded. The rooms are nice and the furniture is the faux tree limb style. Also no elevators. The mansion side is more open and has more of an elegance to it. The buildings have elevators and the rooms are also very nice. I don't recall ever seeing any snakes on any of our trips. There are a few ducks though. They won't bother you.

Upvote 0

Rob562

AllEars has a great video tour of Riverside on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUJCDK58ots

I prefer the atmosphere of the Alligator Bayou section, it feels more secluded. That being said, it's Florida... You can get (small) garden snakes just about anywhere. I've seen one or two at the fairly wide-open Caribbean Beach and Pop Century before.

-Rob

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

We stated in Alligator Bayou and loved it. The only critters we saw were ducks and a really cool frog.

We thought the mansions were a little generic and just looked like a few normal everyday motels amid some nice landscaping. We were looking for more of an escape and the bayou section seemed to provide that.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If your kids are put off by woods I would stay in the Mansions. They are much more clear and manicured. However, if you have a party of 5 you will be in Alligator Bayou. Regarding snakes....it is Florida you stand a pretty good chance of seeing a snake pretty much anywhere.

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

I wouldn't stress over the snakes. I think i'm one of few men on the planet who hates snakes and I never give 'em a thought. I've stayed at Dixie Landings/Riverside 17 times and have never come across one. Besides, the critters want nothing to do with us and will usualy bolt upon hearing humans coming. Depending on when you go, you may see tiny lizzards and maybe the occasional rabbit.

Upvote 0

JannyWDW

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. I like the rooms at alligator bayou better based on pictures but the trails leading to the buildings look a little scary. Are there ways of getting to the alligator bayou rooms without going through those paths? I'm braver than my kids and even I don't like the looks of some of those trails. One of them was narrow with too many shrubs and a swampy area. I'd worry about walking through there especially at night. I really like alligator bayou other than that piece of it.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thank you for the replies. I like the rooms at alligator bayou better based on pictures but the trails leading to the buildings look a little scary. Are there ways of getting to the alligator bayou rooms without going through those paths? I'm braver than my kids and even I don't like the looks of some of those trails. One of them was narrow with too many shrubs and a swampy area. I'd worry about walking through there especially at night. I really like alligator bayou other than that piece of it.
It will depend on where your room is and where you are going. Some can be accessed directly from the parking lot others can not. I have stayed in Alligator Bayou more times than I can count and there is absolutely nothing scary or foreboding about the paths in Alligator Bayou.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Stayed there two years ago and really it's not too scary. That said there are a few things you could do. Ask for a room near the main area, so you have less of those paths to take, or stay in the Mansions, because the rooms are the same size and, I belive they are starting the renovations over there first, so depending on when you go, you might get a renovated room.
You could also just go with say the Caribbean and not worry about any of this as the Ol' Man Island at Riverside is a little woodsy. Maybe Riverside is not the best place if your not into the rustic thing.

Upvote 0
We love Alligator Bayou!! Our daughters were 5 and 7 when we went in December 2010 and they had no problems running though the paths leading to our room. They led the way each and every night in the dark!! They never gave one thought to any kind of "critter" they might encounter. They were so happy to be on vacation and staying in a hotel. It is funny how excited they get just staying in a hotel!! The trip prior, they were 2 1/2 and almost 5 so we were pushing tired girls in strollers back to the room at night. No running down the paths that trip. We have never encountered anything other than birds and some small lizards on our walks around the hotel. But of course it is Florida so it could happen. I wouldn't give it another thought and just have fun! :)

Upvote 0

juscet

The mansion area is much more open than the bayou section. I have never seen a snake there although there are the little lizards that pop up every once in awhile. Have fun.:)

Upvote 0

JannyWDW

Original Poster
I wonder if I should risk it or call and make a request for a mansion room. Are my chances about 50/50 of getting stuck at alligator bayou? Or are the mansions more popular? Is it too late for them to accomodate a request? We are going this month. I think my girls would do better in wide open spaces.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

I wonder if I should risk it or call and make a request for a mansion room. Are my chances about 50/50 of getting stuck at alligator bayou? Is it too late for them to accomodate a request? We are going this month. I like the idea of wide open spaces!

Go for it and put in the request! I think they don't assign rooms until 10 days or so before your check in. Even then, when checking in you can see where you are and then if it's Bayou just ask if they can put you in a mansion instead.

Upvote 0

JannyWDW

Original Poster
Thanks pjkdog!

Do you think the mansions will be filled up already? I'm also afraid of making a request with a call center rep as they are not directly affiliated with the resort. I've worked in the call center business before, it's very easy for information to get lost in the shuffle. Also, can I call anytime or do these phone numbers have business hours?

Thanks for your help!! I find it easier to get information on this forum than even the Disney site itself!!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks pjkdog!

Do you think the mansions will be filled up already? I'm also afraid of making a request with a call center rep as they are not directly affiliated with the resort. I've worked in the call center business before, it's very easy for information to get lost in the shuffle. Also, can I call anytime or do these phone numbers have business hours?

Thanks for your help!! I find it easier to get information on this forum than even the Disney site itself!!
It is the only way to do it. If you call the resort directly you will be transfered to the call center. You will need to call between 7am and 10 pm EDT.

Upvote 0

Rob562

As others have said, put your request in now via a note on your reservation.

But speaking for the resort, it really is a 50/50 chance on where you're located if you let them assign you a room without any requests, as rooms are split evenly between Alligator Bayou and the Mansions.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Ausdaddy

If your kids are put off by woods I would stay in the Mansions. They are much more clear and manicured. However, if you have a party of 5 you will be in Alligator Bayou. Regarding snakes....it is Florida you stand a pretty good chance of seeing a snake pretty much anywhere.

So, it's a guarantee with a party of 5? I'll be staying there in Sept for the first time and have a party of 5. I want Alligator Bayou, but didn't know if I had to request it since my youngest is 2. I would like the trundle.

Edit: Nevermind. I think I found the answer. Under 3's don't automatically stick you in Alligator Bayou.

Upvote 0

onesandzeros

The Alligator Bayou section is woodsy. If you can get a room in buildings 14 or 15 you can avoid the paths for the most part. There are three small pool areas in the Bayou that would require passing through those wooded paths. However, getting to the Ol’ Man Island and the main kids pool is clear through the parking lot, lobby and food court areas. The Magnolia Bend buildings resemble plantation mansions and are landscaped accordingly. There are two large pools in this area, but no slides/fountains.

You will see critters in both areas. In March, I saw many squirrels, some
small rabbit type creature and ducks. I’ve stayed at this resort 4 or 5 times and never came across any snakes.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Hey folks :
My herd is staying at Riverside very soon. We were wondering if we could learn the differences b/w the mansion area and the alligator bayou? My kids don't like the woods so do the mansions have more open space and less bushes? My sister in law mentioned snakes which already has my family buzzing. I dont remember which resort she was at but the last thing we want to do is worry about that.I'll never sleep! LOL:ROFLOL:

Can I ask why you want to stay at PORS? I know I'm in the minority here, but we stayed there a couple of years ago and did not enjoy it at all. We usually stay at deluxes and felt that PORS was trying to be like a deluxe without any of the things that make a deluxe a deluxe -- location, bed size, and amenities. The bus service was horrific, we waited longer at that resort for buses then any other resorts I've stayed at, and at one point after not being able to get on MK bus for over an hour we took a taxi to the MK (first time doing that ever). I didn't care for how everything was spread out. It's a very pretty resort but definately not for us. We're not resort snobs, we've also sayed at Pop twice and loved it and would much prefer to stay there over PORS -- great bus service, great food court, and if you get a room in the 50s it's not spread out at all.

To each his own, but I'd evaluate why you want to stay there, we were excited going in but disappointed coming out.

Upvote 0

Jay & Sue

Don't worry about staying in the alligator bayou - you will like it. The walkways are wide. It is very unlikely that you will see a snake. You will see the small lizards but it is Florida and they are very common no matter where you go. Have a great time!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom