Port Orleans Riverside - Garden View Room Requests?

Mark P.

Original Poster
We have an upcoming stay at POR in a "garden view" room for five nights in April. I'm familiar with the general resort plan having stayed at POFQ for part of our honeymoon last August, but am interested in some more specific guidance.

We're generally not bothered about walking distance to amenities and while I'm partial to the theming of the Magnolia Bend mansions, I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise. So -- if you've stayed at POR, what do you recommend I ask for?

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I paid for a "garden view" at POR, but did not call the resort to request any specific area. When I got there, I was assigned to the Alligator Bayou. I thought that the "garden view" was half garden ( if you looked right) and half parking lot (if you looked left). It was close to the North Depot, which was the second stop on the bus route and that was fantastic after a long day at the parks.

In the long run, since we didn't spend much time at the resort other than to sleep and shower, it really didn't matter which section we stayed in.

I would think about what you really want (close to transportation, upper floor, etc) and enjoy your stay!

wedje

Sorry about that computer acting up .We always request MB , in fact just booked our next trip for first week of Oct, 2017, we requested garden view. We love the views from MB. We always take one day and just hang out at the resort, walking around. enjoying the views. the wildlife. No matter which view you end up with, you can just step out the door and walk or just sit around and enjoy the beautiful resort. Enjoy your trip.

chrisbarry

I think it's matter of a building number request when it comes to Alligator Bayou. We used to stay there all the time because we needed the trundle beds and I would always request buildings that were further into the resort away from the parking lots. That way there was no chance of me looking at a parking lot, or hearing the busses. For instance buildings 18, 27, 26 on one side and 38, 39 on the other. These buildings are more on the inner ring of the Bayou. We always got our request. Perhaps we were just lucky.

While we never stayed in Magnolia Bend so I can't really compare - we always loved the Bayou. I never thought it was dark or a downer. We always loved the rustic feeling in the rooms. We also loved the grounds. They're extremely tranquil. It's very natural as opposed to the Bend which is a little more formal looking. Curvy natural lines as opposed to straight planned lines. (Although I guess it's all planned but you know what I mean!) We always loved the kids running around the Bayou grounds chasing lizards and walking over the small bridges. It's a beautiful place. Plus, I love the free form shape of the quiet pools as opposed to the rectangles of the Bend pools. Both beautiful areas of a beautiful resort just a different feeling in each. We haven't been back in years because we just can't fit now that the three kids are teenagers, so we've been slumming it over at The Yacht Club. But if I were to go back, I would immediately book an Alligator Bayou room. I miss it.

Minnesota disney fan

I think it's matter of a building number request when it comes to Alligator Bayou. We used to stay there all the time because we needed the trundle beds and I would always request buildings that were further into the resort away from the parking lots. That way there was no chance of me looking at a parking lot, or hearing the busses. For instance buildings 18, 27, 26 on one side and 38, 39 on the other. These buildings are more on the inner ring of the Bayou. We always got our request. Perhaps we were just lucky.

While we never stayed in Magnolia Bend so I can't really compare - we always loved the Bayou. I never thought it was dark or a downer. We always loved the rustic feeling in the rooms. We also loved the grounds. They're extremely tranquil. It's very natural as opposed to the Bend which is a little more formal looking. Curvy natural lines as opposed to straight planned lines. (Although I guess it's all planned but you know what I mean!) We always loved the kids running around the Bayou grounds chasing lizards and walking over the small bridges. It's a beautiful place. Plus, I love the free form shape of the quiet pools as opposed to the rectangles of the Bend pools. Both beautiful areas of a beautiful resort just a different feeling in each. We haven't been back in years because we just can't fit now that the three kids are teenagers, so we've been slumming it over at The Yacht Club. But if I were to go back, I would immediately book an Alligator Bayou room. I miss it.

I agree totally with you about AB. We love the tropical, secluded atmosphere of the bayou area. It is definitely not a downer to us. I guess it depends on if you want structured more formal areas, or the more relaxed, natural setting at the bayou. It's usually one or the other and neither is wrong. Even though we don't need a trundle bed, we always request AB. We found that 17, 26 and 28 were fine for us and we always request garden view, which just enhances the surroundings.

LeighM

I've stayed in the garden rooms in the Magnolia Bend section, the Royal rooms, and this last trip I had a garden view room and I requested a room in the Alligator Bayou section close to the West Depot, which is the first bus stop for the theme parks (never a line for the bus and we always had a seat). Our room was only a 2 minute walk to the bus stop in building 34. It was further from the lobby but because the room was on the way to the lobby after being dropped off at the West Depot, it was really efficient because we didn't have to backtrack to the room to get our mugs. Do you want to be close to the lobby, the main pool on Old Man Island, or one of the bus stops? If I couldn't have a room in the same building in Alligator Bayou, then I think building 85 in Magnolia Bend is a good choice because it's close to the bridge to Old Man Island and to the lobby thru the island, and also close to the east depot. If they keep the current bus routes, that will be the 3rd stop on the park route.

Mark P.

Original Poster
Building 85 was the one I was leaning towards as well, it looks like from the floor plans the garden view rooms include those facing, but set back from, the river (i.e.: facing the courtyards), which have the added benefit of being isolated a bit more from pool crowds and whatnot. Proximity to the Disney Springs ferry is also important, since we're planning at least a couple of meals there during our trip.

LeighM

Building 85 was the one I was leaning towards as well, it looks like from the floor plans the garden view rooms include those facing, but set back from, the river (i.e.: facing the courtyards), which have the added benefit of being isolated a bit more from pool crowds and whatnot. Proximity to the Disney Springs ferry is also important, since we're planning at least a couple of meals there during our trip.

I've stayed in Building 85 twice - one a standard and the other a garden view. If being close to the DS ferry is important, then I would try to request building 85. If you call them Disney Reservations, they can add your requests for building 85 close to the bridge to Old Man Island to the main reservation you'll have a greater chance of getting your request. I've been pretty good luck doing that. It's not guaranteed, but in my experience they try to fulfill your requests as long as you aren't too room specific.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom