Port Orleans Riverside Full Tour and Overview May 2017 in 4K

Roknrollrghostr

What a fantastic video! Port Orleans Riverside is my favorite moderate resort and it was lovely to get to have a virtual visit. Thanks for posting it!

LeighM

Riverside is the only place we've ever stayed because we love it so much. I made the "mistake" of picking that resort for our first trip and that's been the only place my husband wants to stay during our trip (that we can afford - he would love the Grand Floridian LOL).

BigRedDad

I have to admit I did not watch your entire video. I will. Right at the beginning, seeing Birdie at the front door almost made me tear up a little. Birdie was the highlight of my DD's trip. The first morning we went to the lobby. It was just DD and I. I sat her down in the lobby while I went to the restroom. Birdie came to talk to her because she was alone. I know, leaving a child alone is not right, but when you have to go and a family restroom is not around, Disney is the only place I would do it. We sat and talked with Birdie for about 15 minutes. Every time we were by the lobby, my DD made it a point to go talk to him, ask how his morning is going, tell him where she was headed, what she did for the day. She was actually upset when she didn't get to see him when he had a day off. When we were leaving, Birdie was there. DD went to talk to him, tell him how great her trip was, and how he made it so much better. The two of them sat. She took out her autograph book and asked if he would sign it for her. He wrote her a message. I was not next to them, but I have a feeling he had never been asked before and he was definitely emotional over it. Of all the autographs she has ever received, this is the only one she will truly remember. He gave her a POR coin and she gave him a half of a Disney friends forever type pin. She still has the other half. We may have to take a trip over to see if he is there to say high.

Roknrollrghostr

I have to admit I did not watch your entire video. I will. Right at the beginning, seeing Birdie at the front door almost made me tear up a little. Birdie was the highlight of my DD's trip. The first morning we went to the lobby. It was just DD and I. I sat her down in the lobby while I went to the restroom. Birdie came to talk to her because she was alone. I know, leaving a child alone is not right, but when you have to go and a family restroom is not around, Disney is the only place I would do it. We sat and talked with Birdie for about 15 minutes. Every time we were by the lobby, my DD made it a point to go talk to him, ask how his morning is going, tell him where she was headed, what she did for the day. She was actually upset when she didn't get to see him when he had a day off. When we were leaving, Birdie was there. DD went to talk to him, tell him how great her trip was, and how he made it so much better. The two of them sat. She took out her autograph book and asked if he would sign it for her. He wrote her a message. I was not next to them, but I have a feeling he had never been asked before and he was definitely emotional over it. Of all the autographs she has ever received, this is the only one she will truly remember. He gave her a POR coin and she gave him a half of a Disney friends forever type pin. She still has the other half. We may have to take a trip over to see if he is there to say high.
Thank you for sharing this story. I was tearing up reading it! When I think back to my past Disney vacations, some of my best memories have been through interactions with cast members. You and your daughter's experience warms my heart so much.:)

dmatt87

Loved POR - this is where we stayed last week and I think this is where we will stay next time.

However, transport was highly inconsistent and we waited more than expected. You'd think that Disney would plan enough buses for a full resort!

becca_

Loved POR - this is where we stayed last week and I think this is where we will stay next time.

However, transport was highly inconsistent and we waited more than expected. You'd think that Disney would plan enough buses for a full resort!
I agree 100% with that, we stayed the 24th-28th and seriously waited for 40 minutes for a bus at MK, while we watched every other resort have 2 or 3 or even 4 buses within 10 minutes. I do love the resort itself and we stayed in a Royal Room which was lovely, but we ended up taking a taxi one day because it was really unbelievable how long we were waiting for a bus.

BigRedDad

I didn't want to bring up the buses because that is the ONLY thing that was bad at POR. In the middle of Day 3 of our trip, we stopped using POR transportation. We used POFQ and just walked back to POR along the river.

BTW, I found DD's autograph book where Birdie signed it. I forgot to take a picture and post it.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I loved Birdie! He gave my niece and me Mickey stickers while we were waiting for the Tragical Express. He said everyone deserves a little Mickey smile on their way home. We got to talking about antiques and how his wife went to a town not far from mine in NC. He wanted to play golf, she wanted to shop.

I didn't have any transportation trouble when I was there last September. I don't remember waiting that long for a bus to any of the parks (we even had a couple of accordion busses to MK).

dmatt87

I agree 100% with that, we stayed the 24th-28th and seriously waited for 40 minutes for a bus at MK, while we watched every other resort have 2 or 3 or even 4 buses within 10 minutes. I do love the resort itself and we stayed in a Royal Room which was lovely, but we ended up taking a taxi one day because it was really unbelievable how long we were waiting for a bus.
We stayed in the Royal Rooms as well and absolutely loved it - my wife and I liked it even more than our 4 year old son! I wonder if we waited for the same bus - was it around 6pm at the main stop on the Thursday? And were you with your mom?

Minnesota disney fan

Thank you so much for the great video of our favorite resort, POR! We may not be able to make it back til next year, so this video was awesome. I was wondering? How come the water wheel and shaft were not running? That's the first time I've ever seen the water wheel stopped.

nelsonj3

Original Poster
Wow! What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing! He certainly seemed like a kind old guy, and I actually wished I wasn't filming at the time so that I could have stopped and talked to him. I never thought about that again until reading this story. I also didn't know his name was Birdie. I wonder how long he has worked there? It is people like him who make Disney a truly special and unique place!

nelsonj3

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the great video of our favorite resort, POR! We may not be able to make it back til next year, so this video was awesome. I was wondering? How come the water wheel and shaft were not running? That's the first time I've ever seen the water wheel stopped.
I'm not sure why the wheel wasn't working. That's the first time I've ever seen it stop as well. Someone commented on my video that they do stop it from time to time, but I'm not sure why. I wonder if it had something to do with the drought? I know the wheel just uses recirculated water from the river, but maybe the river level is a tad lower than normal (even though I know Disney regulates water levels as much as they can).

geekza

Thank you for this! We're going to be staying there in September. My wife has never been to WDW and it's been difficult for me to explain just how different staying in a Disney Resort is to staying in any other hotel. I think this will help her get excited. Right now, she thinks I'm a little insane to be 45 and practically giddy about going to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom