Port Orleans Riverside - 1st Visit questions

cerigirl

Hi there - i am new on here and would like to firstly say hello:wave: , and secondly ask a few questions about Port Orleans Riverside.

We are going in Sept 2007 and staying with DDP for 14 nights. We have two children (8,4) and are wondering - where is best to go for breakfast and how much should we tip each day for housekeeping? Should we use a counter service DDP token for breakfast, pay or go off-site?

Just organising my other ADR's for main table service meals - any good suggestions? Thanks!:xmas:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are a number of breakfast options in WDW so you can do something unique almost everyday. One of the best places is Boatwrights which right at your resort. The stuffed french toast and pumpkin pancakes there are incredible.

Whispering Canyon cafe at The Wilderness lodge is another great choice. Food is your typical breakfast fare (eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, waffles, etc) but the cast members and the theme make the restaurant. The cast members border on rude but it is a fun rude. If you ask for ketchup your server will yell across the restaurant "Who has the yucky red stuff!" and you will wind up with about 20 bottles of it on your table.

Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge has one of the best most eclectic breakfast buffets on property. The normal stuff is there but in addition to that there are some African inspired dishes as well as an omelet bar. They also have a special juice mix called West African Frunch which is a combination of lemonade, pineapple juice, guava juice, orange juice, and papaya juice that is just incredible.

These three suggestions are really just the tip of the iceberg. For a much more in depth information on your plethora of choices Allears is a great source.

We generally tip mouse keeping $2 or $3 per day and we leave it daily instead of one lump sum at the end of the trip because more than likely there will be a different person cleaning your room each day. It is also a good idea to leave a little note on the money that it is a tip. If you just leave money out it will more than likely still be there after they clean your room.

Upvote 0

UKHelen

Not long returned from a stay at POR and like Master Yoda we left a $2 or $3 tip each day - we left it on the pillow of the bed and it always got taken.

We didn't eat at Boatwright's at breakfast time but the food in the evening was very good if that's anything to go by- I would give the counter service a miss though and go off site as we found that breakfast tends to be the same selection everywhere (and a lot of the same quality) but it is much cheaper off site (assuming you have a car). IMO your DDP counter service option is best used at a park during the day.

Our personal off site breakfast favourites are Bob Evans, Perkins, Waffle House, IHOP - all on the 192/at Lake Buena Vista, Denny's (LBV/IDrive) and if you fancy a buffet Golden Corrall at Lake Bryan (next to Lake Buena Vista).

Enjoy your stay - it's a lovely resort!:D

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

First off...welcome! You will have a great time at Disney and POR....we stayed there in Sept and really loved the resort.

I agree w/ the food court in POR...breakfast is pretty basic...I found the eggs to be so bad one day I couldn't eat them, but the pancakes, waffles etc are OK, just nothing special.

With the ages of your kids, I would strongly recommend having a character breakfast (or 2 or so!). Crystal Palace in MK is great, Chef Mickey's in the Contemp. is a lot of fun etc. Go to the Allears link to see all of the info on dining options.

I also recommend the Main St Bakery in MK for breakfast...it's not just sweets...they have breakfast sandwhiches also, and it is all so good! Seating is tight, but eating there is worth it.

If going off-site to eat, I give a thumb's up to the Golden Coral breakfast buffet, price is very reasonable and you can fill up for a fun day at the parks. There are coupon books in there as well, ear the exit if I recall, so look for them before you pay.

Hope you all have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

Lucky

We think the food court breakfast at the resorts is decent and convenient, but even if you like it you'll get tired of it after a few days. Since you have 2 full weeks, you'll definitely want to vary things a little by going to a few character breakfasts, as other posts suggest. Each of the 4 major parks has at least one, so you can schedule them around where you plan to go that day. Chef Mickey's is very popular, and it's at the Contemporary, which is convenient if you plan to go to Magic Kingdom.

Even the food court breakfasts are fairly large, and you may find with an 8 and a 4 year old that you can get by using only 2 or 3 dining plan credits instead of 4.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

we've stayed at POR several times, and we love it. I have to agree about Boatwright's for breakfast - you couldn't do it every day (without elastic wasit shorts anyway!), but definitely plan to eat breakfast there at least once!

Upvote 0

McFly88

Boma and Whispering Canyon Cafe are excellent breakfast choices, especially Whispering Canyon's all-you-can-eat skillet breakfast. I also like the character breakfasts at Animal Kingdom (Donald's Breakfastosaurus) and Polynesian (Lilo & Stitch breakfast at Ohana).

For these sit-down meals, I would recommend NOT using a DDP table service meal. Breakfast is typically cheaper than lunch or dinner, so I usually pay for breakfast and save a DDP meal for something more expensive.

On the other hand, if you want a quick counter-service meal, I WOULD use DDP. For breakfast, I think you get an entree, drink, and a pastry (instead of the dessert you'd get for lunch or dinner) and these meals are usually comparable in price to later meals.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

I would purchase souvenir travel mugs at the food court during the first day. You can get unlimited refills at the beverage islands (of the food court), and if you're staying 14 days, you'll definitely get your money's worth. Plus, you'll have them to take home and use for years. :)

Upvote 0

bhg469

I heartily agree with the suggestion of Boatwright'

(stuffed french toast--mmm)

I saw the thread title and as going to post the exact same comment. That stuff is the greatest single breakfast food in the history of the world. YES, THE WORLD!!!!

This is coming from someone who hates eggs..

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

We stay at Port Orleans Riverside a lot; it's our favorite place at WDW. We have never eaten at Boatwrights.
For breakfast we use the food court, often arriving even before the hot food line is open. The reason is that we want to get an early start and go ahead and catch the bus to the park. We use the Grab and Go section and get juice, fruit, cereal, etc. plus coffee. It's always good and we don't eat large breakfasts at home anyway.
If we happen to get to the food court when the hot food lline is open, then we can get pancakes and sausage, scrambled eggs, etc. We like the fact that you can set your own pace in the food court. You don't have to wait for a waiter. Also- a big point- POR has one of the nicest food courts at WDW with a lot of wood decor and windows and plenty of seating.
On the days that we do get a larger breakfast, it's at a buffet like Crystal Palace, where I go wild and totally over eat, particularly the French Toast thingys. (The chef at CP gave us the recipe.)

Have fun at Port Orleans Riverside and don't hesitate to use the food court there if you are not looking for a sit-down breakfast.
:xmas:

The Crystal Palace
Lake Buena Vista, Florida

Puffed French Toast (Volume adjusted for home use)
Serving Size: 6

4 teaspoons cinnamon
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups milk
½ teaspoon salt
2 each eggs
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
12 slices bread
oil -- for frying

Combine ¾ cup sugar with cinnamon and set aside.

Mix egg, 2 ½ teaspoons of sugar, salt, vanilla and milk until well blended. Slowly add flour and baking powder and mix until smooth. Cut bread diagonally into triangles. Dip bread triangles in batter, allowing excess to drip off. Fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper towel. While toast is still warm, roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I saw the thread title and as going to post the exact same comment. That stuff is the greatest single breakfast food in the history of the world. YES, THE WORLD!!!!

This is coming from someone who hates eggs..
stuffed_french_toast.JPG

Upvote 0

fredtom

If you're on the DDP, I would recommend using counter service and/or snack options for breakfast rather than using a table service credit-- that is, unless you want to make breakfast your main meal of the day.

You'll love POR... have a great time.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Upvote 0

Agent1964fem

Breakfast is does a body good :slurp:
You picked a awesome resort . The landscaping is gorgeous. The boat ride to downtown Disney is so relaxing . Have fun.

Wilderness Lodge 1997
Caribbean Beach Resort 2003
Port Orleans Riverside 2005
Wilderness Lodge 2007

Upvote 0

tunaman68

We loved POR. Grounds, staff, pools, boat to DTD all just GREAT!

We ordered a batch of groceries from gardengrocer.com including milk (two half gallons to fit in the fridge) and cereal. On other trips that when we had a car, we went to a local store and bought the stuff. We took plastic bowls/spoons with us and ate a quick bowl of cereal in the room before heading out to the parks.

This did two things -

1) Saved money - we were not on the dining plan and it saved $$ every day vs buying two adults and two kids meals.

2) Got extra sleep and still got the parks for rope drop. Being at the parks for opening is the single best thing you can do for making your trip fun and efficient. You'll see more at the parks before noon then you'll see the rest of the day. After a few days of stomping the parks, that extra hour of sleep will become the greatest thing ever!

We sill had breakfast at several of the suggested locations on a couple of days, but it was nice to have the option for our get up and go days!

Have fun - the resort is BEAUTIFUL!!

Upvote 0

Epcot82Guy

We loved POR. Grounds, staff, pools, boat to DTD all just GREAT!

We ordered a batch of groceries from gardengrocer.com including milk (two half gallons to fit in the fridge) and cereal. On other trips that when we had a car, we went to a local store and bought the stuff. We took plastic bowls/spoons with us and ate a quick bowl of cereal in the room before heading out to the parks.

This did two things -

1) Saved money - we were not on the dining plan and it saved $$ every day vs buying two adults and two kids meals.

2) Got extra sleep and still got the parks for rope drop. Being at the parks for opening is the single best thing you can do for making your trip fun and efficient. You'll see more at the parks before noon then you'll see the rest of the day. After a few days of stomping the parks, that extra hour of sleep will become the greatest thing ever!

We sill had breakfast at several of the suggested locations on a couple of days, but it was nice to have the option for our get up and go days!

Have fun - the resort is BEAUTIFUL!!

I second this. I just returned from my first trip there, and it is wonderful.

Also, have some in-room breakfast items (cereal, poptarts, etc.) lets you extend your dining plan a bit. If you don't use anything for breakfast a few times, you can use the points elsewhere. That way if you use a signature dining option (2 points) one day, the next day you can make up for it by combining the points you would have used for breakfast on other meals.

I also would put a vote in for Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. Especially if you are doing MK, this is a great way to start the day, and it has some unique and great options.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom