Port Orleans or Caribbean beach?

raceroom

Hello, Me and my family (wife and 7 yr old girl) are thinking of going down for a trip the end of Jan. We are thinking of staying at either Port Orleans or Caribbean beach. Was hoping someone could help us out that has stayed at both resorts. Help decide which is better. Thanks for your time.

RonAnnArbor

Stayed at both -- no doubt I would always pick either French Quarter or Riverside over Caribbean Beach -- I really dislike CB, and unless you have a car there, it is inconvenient and hard to get around -- you can walk everywhere at both Port Orleans resorts, and you have a great boat ride down to Downtown Disney. CB requires busses to get to anything (including check-in, the food court, and everywhere else). If you want total privacy and to feel like you are alone at WDW, then CB fits the bill better. If you have kids in tow, no doubt about it, either of the Port Orleans resorts is better.

Upvote 0

Princess1215

I've been to both...personally I would stay at Port Orleans. POFQ is smaller, there for easier to navigate, than PORS but both have beautiful buildings and landscapes and are my favorite resorts at Disney.

I'm not a huge fan of Caribbean...but that's just one opinion!!!

Upvote 0

panther726

Last year, we were faced with this same issue. We first booked Caribbean Beach. We then realized how enormous it was. We then looked at French Quarter and booked it. We stayed there and fell in love with it. In fact, we are staying there next week! It's very small, but that's a major plus in my opinon. Getting a preferred room isn't important, as the room furthest from the lobby is only a mere 2 minutes away. And I'm not kidding!

Seeing you have a 7 year old, after a long day at the parks, no one wants those long walks back to the room. You eliminate that problem at French Quarter. Plus, Caribbean Beach has 12 bus stops! Riverside, I believe has 4 stops. French Quarter has only one.

I think staying at French Quarter would be your best bet. Let it be noted, however, I have never stayed at any of the other two resorts.

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

Having stayed at both, I prefer Port Orleans (particularly French Quarter) by a country mile. I love how small and intimate it is. It always seems very quiet, even during busier times. Some people complain about the rooms being due for an update. That's probably true, but they're still quite clean and I had no complaints about our room's look or functionality during our last visit.

Upvote 0

LSU_Tigger

I haved stayed at both and would say POFQ is hands down the best. Its one stop and if you using the buses with POR you are the first picked up and the first dropped off. Only downside is POFQ does not have a table service resturant, if you need that it is at POR. CB now has the pirate rooms to help boost sales I guess. I never seen the pirate rooms but heard they are nice. In the end I would say POFQ because of the pool and size. Hope I helped.:wave:

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

POFQ personally is the best, but they only have the CS. Also, one or two bus routes hit all of POR first, and then come to POFQ full which can make it hard to get on.

Having run around both POR and CB, I can't see that much size difference. I think the issue becomes that POR is set up a little more centrally than CB. Is one that much better than the other? Not really. Pick your theme. CB is beachy with sand and hammocks all over the place, POR is more antebellum south, grass with big overhanging trees. My wife really like being able to lounge lake side in the hammocks at CB, but thats just her. Otherwise they are fairly similar.

Upvote 0

paul436

I've stayed at both POFQ and CB. POFQ turned out to be my favorite resort that I've stayed at so far. I would never stay at CB again. They didn't have preferred rooms at the time and ended up staying as far from the main building as possible. My kids were younger at the time (11, 9 and 6) and adding that much more walking to each day was just too much. Sure you can take the bus to the main building but who wants to take the bus to breakfast?!

Now there are preferred rooms available. If I could guarantee that I would get a room next to the main building my opinion may change. But it still takes longer to get everywhere due to the size of the resort and the multiple bus stops.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

POFQ is the place to stay. CBR is way too busy in the morning and will just start your day off in the wrong direction. Plus the service at CBR is really poor. I was just there in sept., and it was so bad, i will never stay there again. The layout is nice and relatively accessible. Transportation was good. POFQ is better, two different modes of transportation, even more acccessible. Good luck with your decision, but POFQ is the place to stay> Have a great time either way!!!!

Upvote 0
I would go back to PO in a heartbeat, but can't say the same for CBR. It's not that I didn't like CBR, it just seemed much more crowded, which led to longer lines for food and transportation. I also like the location of PO better, easier to get to both MK and Epcot (by either car or bus), as well as Downtown Disney (via boat) in my opinion. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like every time I'm on Buena Vista Dr., I hit every light red.

Upvote 0

duff527

No love for CB!

Yes, it is big, but I have stayed there 6 times and the walk has never been overwhelming. My first time there I was 9, I'm now 24. I've loved it every time. Granted, I have never stayed in the furthest ends of the resort (i.e. Trinidad South) but Aruba and Jamaica are a short walk over the island, and Martinique and Trinidad North are right next to the food court. Certain parts of Barbados can be a little bit of a hike. Honestly though I think the resort atmosphere is so pleasant that I enjoy the walk.

I was there in March and I honestly only had one wait for a bus that was worth complaining about. Sometimes it happens and I think you'll find that at any resort. For me though, there's no topping that tropical resort feel.

Upvote 0

wendysue

CB for sure

We were at CB in September. Had asked for and received preferred room. Service was excellent, and the resort is beautiful! We never waited longer than 5 minutes for a bus. Have been there 5 times and love it. Now, we don't have children, so we dont get the pirate rooms, which I understand can be quite a walk. Will be going back in 2010.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I'd pick Port Orleans (either side) over Caribbean Beach. Unless you have a car, CBR is a pain to get around. Plus, I hate the fact that the front desk is completely separated from the shops and food. Whose bright idea was that anyway?

Upvote 0

LisaB08

My husband and I have stayed at both resorts. By far, I prefer the Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter....The Caribbean Beach has so many sections that I had to walk a 1/2 mile just for a cup of coffee and the bus stopped at so many locations I would be very grumpy by the time we finally got back to the room. I especially like the French Quarter. Only has a few buildings, not a lot of walking to pool area and food court. Has great Mardi Gras theming. Really enjoyed the beignes....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom