Port Orleans French Question

Just wandering if there are any problems with the bus transportation to the theme parks. I have read some places that the pickup starts in the French Quarter but then has 4 stops at Riverside before heading out to the parks, is this true? How much time is lost traveling to the parks?

We stayed at AKL last year and my only complaint was the waiting for the bus service and the actual trips to the park.

nepalostparks

On our trip this past September, we used the bus from FQ to Magic Kingdom two or three times. It only picked up at FQ, and went directly to the Magic Kingdom. We only waited between 5 and 15 minutes for the bus to come get us.

As for the other parks, we drove our rental car. If it works within your budget, I strongly recommend you get a rental car during your vacation, if only for the convenience of being able to drive where you want, when you want. No waiting for busses or having to deal with crowds of people. It also is a must if you want to visit other resorts (we dined at the Contemporay and Yacht Club) and if you want to go outside of Disney during your visit.

One other note, taking the bus back from the Magic Kingdom at closing time was rough. The crowds are heavy, and it took about three busses each night for us to get on to go back to FQ, and each time we were packed in like sardines in standing room only.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

paul436

When I stayed at POFQ a few years ago the bus did pick up at the French Quarter first and then make a few stops on the Riverside part of the resort. It adds a few minutes to your trip but I didn't find it to be a problem. The upside of this is that the bus drops off at the French Quarter first. So, you usually can get a seat on your way to the parks and you get home sooner at the end of the day.

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
On our trip this past September, we used the bus from FQ to Magic Kingdom two or three times. It only picked up at FQ, and went directly to the Magic Kingdom. We only waited between 5 and 15 minutes for the bus to come get us.

As for the other parks, we drove our rental car. If it works within your budget, I strongly recommend you get a rental car during your vacation, if only for the convenience of being able to drive where you want, when you want. No waiting for busses or having to deal with crowds of people. It also is a must if you want to visit other resorts (we dined at the Contemporay and Yacht Club) and if you want to go outside of Disney during your visit.

One other note, taking the bus back from the Magic Kingdom at closing time was rough. The crowds are heavy, and it took about three busses each night for us to get on to go back to FQ, and each time we were packed in like sardines in standing room only.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Were staying at Port Orleans because my brother and his family are staying there. Orginally we were booked at Contemp but they want us to be close to them but like the prices of the moderates, me Id rather be on the monorail and close to the MK. So Im not sure renting a car is an option.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I frequently suggest to families to take their time leaving the park when the fireworks are over....don't rush to get out, that is what everyone else is doing - take your time, wait. Shop. Relax. Watch the multitude of humanity stream by.

Shops are open for at least 30 minutes, sometimes longer, past the end of the night time show - and buses will run for at least 90 minutes, if not longer, past the end of park hours.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
I frequently suggest to families to take their time leaving the park when the fireworks are over....don't rush to get out, that is what everyone else is doing - take your time, wait. Shop. Relax. Watch the multitude of humanity stream by.

Shops are open for at least 30 minutes, sometimes longer, past the end of the night time show - and buses will run for at least 90 minutes, if not longer, past the end of park hours.

Enjoy!

Great Idea, the shops stay open on Main Street for awhile and we could even just relax by the seating area across from the castle.

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

Enjoy!

We did try this the second night we were there, with only marginally better results. Maybe it was just the crowds that night... but it didn't make too much of a difference in the wait for us. Any excuse to stay in the parks for me is a winner though!

As long as you don't mind the waiting, the busses are efficient for what they are. They do move a lot of people to and from a lot of different points, and with any mass transportation, there are peak travel times where waiting will be necessary.

Since a rental car won't work in your case, just give yourself a little extra travel time with the busses if you need to be somewhere at a specific time (for dining, etc.) Otherwise, just sit back and relax... and enjoy not having to drive yourself around!

Upvote 0

BoardwalkGlenn

I have stayed at Riverside in Jan/Feb '06 & Sept '08. Sometimes the busses would pick up at 4 stops in POR first then to the 1 stop at POFQ. Other times it would go onto the parks after the POR stops (not sure if it just did POR or did POFQ before even coming to POR).

Either way, the busses were great. Sometimes the bus you would want would be the 1st one you see, and sometimes you might wait 5-20 minutes. It really does vary, but still works out either way. Just be sure to leave enough time if you have ADRs.

And last time we dined at the California Grill, so we got ready early, took the bus to MK, switched to the Monorail to the Contemporary and then back to the MK for EMH til midnight. Sure, it might take a little more time than driving but it saves money to do other things.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Just wandering if there are any problems with the bus transportation to the theme parks. I have read some places that the pickup starts in the French Quarter but then has 4 stops at Riverside before heading out to the parks, is this true? How much time is lost traveling to the parks?

We stayed at AKL last year and my only complaint was the waiting for the bus service and the actual trips to the park.
Very little time is lost even if you have to make all those stops.

My only time at POFQ, on 5 of 7 mornings we didn't go to POR at all. One morning we made only one stop at POR, and one morning we did the entire circuit.

Even if you make all the stops, it's no different than at the other 2 Moderate resorts, Caribbean Beach Resort and Coronado Springs Resort. The combined Port Orleans resorts have a total of 5 stops. CBR has 7 park bus stops and CSR has 4.

It adds a negligible amount of time, since the stops are so relatively close to each other.

Upvote 0

jen2009

We always stay at POFQ and the buses go straight to Epcot and MK. The only time a bus did not go there was when it picked up for AK. Then it went to the water parks and then on to AK. It was an extra 10 minutes maybe. We were just there in March and it hasn't changed in the last 5 years we have gone. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

lovepooh

I think the busses are a great system. Yes at times they are crowded during peak hours but for most part its very handy.

If you going to a different resort. You can always take the water ferry to downtown disney and then catch a bus to the different resort hotels you wish to go to.

Just a thought:)

Upvote 0

GatorGambit

We're staying at POFQ in about 3 weeks. From what I've read, it is faster door-to-turnstile to drive to and from all on-property destinations with the exception of MK. I would guess this is because the buses take you directly to the MK front gate, while driving takes you to the TTC and leaves you to take the Monorail / Ferryboat to get to MK.

As other posters have mentioned, the bus will not necessarily make all of its' stops on a route if it is full. There is usually another bus right behind it that will pick up the remaining spots. POFQ is the first stop on that bus route, so it's a gamble on whether or not you will have to make all of the stops, although you know there will usually be enough room on the bus to get on.

Regardless, my advice is always to rent a car if you aren't driving there. There *is* life in Central Florida outside of WDW - it's nice to have the option to drive to a drugstore or a grocery store whenever you need to.

Upvote 0

Ann Washrag

I'm confused. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside hopefully in one of the "mansions." I'm told buses come first to the south depot, but I don't see a south depot on my resort map. Can you help?

Upvote 0

yoyoflamingo

I'm confused. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside hopefully in one of the "mansions." I'm told buses come first to the south depot, but I don't see a south depot on my resort map. Can you help?

Most likely it's the main bus stop by the food court. I've stayed at POFQ, and the only time I've shared a bus is after 4, it shares with POR a bus to the Magic Kingdom. They even changed the signs at the bus stop at the MK each day to reflect this (I watched them do it as we were going back to the hotel one day.)

It might differ during different times of the year however. More crowded times might not share, but I'm not 100% on that.

We're going in 2 weeks and staying at POFQ. Can't wait!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom