Por

vilegirl

Port Orleans Riverside

I'm staying at POR for the first time next month. This is the first time I've stayed at a moderate. Does anyone have any opinions about this resort (good or bad) and any suggestions of things not to miss?

Thanks!!

ugotzme

this is my favorite mod. price resort. it has a great location, a nice boat ride to downtown disney, and great atmospher. eat breakfest at boatwrights(stuffed french toast, sweet potato pan cakes are great) ask for buildings 14 or 15 if staying in aligator bayou section. this is a great resort, a must do. have fun and enjoy

Upvote 0

disneymonger

:sohappy: I absolutely love POR...thing is, I don't like the way the French Quarter looks...looks like a cheap France...I totally love the Riverside portion. The main building has so many things to do. It has one of the largest in-hotel stores and arcades. It also has a horse and buggy ride that will take you all over the property. It's really nice. Depending on what building you get into, I was in the Alligator Bayou, you may have a long walk to the main building but other than that it's great. I am going there for a week in January and can't wait. The food hall has a lot of choices, similar to those of the All Star's, and also has a nice restaurant for those nice intimate dinners without the kiddies. The rooms are very very spacious. Two beds, double sinks, huge bathroom. The rooms, to me, were bigger than my room when I went to the AKL, but I may be wrong...either way the rooms are very big. It is a very nice atmosphere and a very well themed hotel. Overall, I give it a 10! Hope this helps. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

POr is our favorite moderatwe too. I'd recommend the mansion rooms rather than Alligator Bayou, and by all means, breakfast at Boatwrights! Have a magical trip!

Upvote 0

Rayray

Have fun. This is one of the best moderates. The theming is superb (a given) and the rooms are enjoyable. The resort has the best dining hall of any resort (if the water wheel shaft and cogs are working).

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

wel by looking at my signature hopefully you can tell how much i love this resort...we just came back :cry: last saturady and we love this resort..our favorite is the bayou section...we stayed this time at building 16 ...which is great..close to everything...boatwrights is a great place to eat..yummy stuffed french toast....the bar on some nites has bob the piano guy who is absolutly halirious.....great fun for kids too!!! boat and bike rentals....boat transportation to the marketplace.....all around this is a favorite for me...oh also...muddy rivers which is a great bar near the main pool is a definate must while enjoying lounging by the pool...

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Love the resort, Bayou section for us too, get a building close to the main dinning area, handy for buses pools and resort mug filling

Just noticed no one else has mentioned that the boat ride to DTD is worth the stay alone.

Upvote 0

Ella's Mommy

I love love love POR! The last six times I went we stayed there. Okay first I would reserve magnolia bend when making the ressie. They have an awesome food court for whatever your taste may be. If you are a meat eater the burgers are out of this world:slurp: Fulton's is one of my top fav stores to buy disney stuff, its located in the main building. They have a boat ride to DTD but we never did it because my family is way to high strung to wait that long to get there:mad: Boatwrights is also very good and you can usually get seated quickly if you dont have a ressie. All in all you will absolutely enjoy the accomadations:D Have a magical time:wave:

75 days till I'm home again:sohappy:
DEC 8-12:xmas:

Upvote 0

Magic Maker

If you are gonna be at Riverside I prefer the mansion, planatation style rooms.
Eat at Boatwrights for breakfast and order sweet potato pancakes, OH DEAR LORD!

Upvote 0

pwgs

Don't forget Bob the piano man in the bar area. He is fantastic and he really gets the crows into the sing along.:sohappy:

I belive and hope he is still there every night:confused:

Upvote 0

abe_bb

Just got back from Building 15 and it was a great place to stay! Everything (including the employees) were wonderful.

Our only complaint was about Boatwrights, but it was a service issue at breakfast. Our waitress ignored us because some "friends" of hers were seated in the resteraunt. She spent a lot of time chatting with them, and we were treated as an afterthought.

Also, while the food was great, we didn't even have time to start our appetizers before they brought our "main course". We had our appetizers for less then 120 seconds before she brought the rest of the meal.

But the Food Court food is EXCELLENT, the bar is great, and Bob is hilarious!

Upvote 0

dr_teeth90210

Top 7 Things to Do at Port Orleans Riverside
<HR style="COLOR: #1353b3" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Dr_Teeth's Top 7 Fun Things to Do at Port Orlean's Riverside

#7- Enjoy the Gardens

POR has some of the finest gardens and landscaping in all of WDW. In fact they received the Florida Nurserymen and Grower's Association's Award of Excellence sevral years ago. They also have a lovely butterfly garden in the Northern area of Magnolia Bend.

#6- Rent Me!
Rent a boat or a bike and have a blast. The great thing about either one of these options is it allows you to take a grand tour of POR and Port Orleans French Quarter in short time frame.

#5- Boat Ride to Downtown Disney

Kick-back, relax, and enjoy floating down the Sassagoula river on the Port Orleans Riverboats. While on board be sure to keep an eye out for wildlife such as gators, deer, and tons of birds. The soundtrack that plays onboard the boats starts out very twangy and something you would expect to hear on the shores of the Mississippi River in the late 19th century. As you near closer towards Downtown Disney the music gets more and more modern and upbeat to complete your timetravel experience back to the 21st century. Also look out for the now abandoned Treehouses which line the Sassagoula.

#4- FISHING

For under five dollars you could be fishing at the Ol' Fishing Hole. I remember the first time we went fishing at POR, my family and I walked up to the fish shack at noon on a hot and humid August afternoon. The CM told us that we'd be better off coming back in the morning when the fish would be more active. We ignored his advice and picked up our cane poles and worms. We ended up catching 8 fish in a 30-minute time frame. It's F-U-N and I highly recommend it.
<!-- / message -->

Upvote 0

dr_teeth90210

#3- Horse-drawn Carriage rides

Easily one of the most romantic things to do on property is the Evening Horse and Carriage rides. It's $30 but it's well worth it. If your staying at POR on a honeymoon then this is a MUST!!!

#2- Swimming

POR has over 6 swimming pools to choose from including the main swimming pool on Ol' Man Island. The main pool is the only one with a slide and a hot tub. Also if your a parent who would rather watch your children swim then make sure to bring your credit card. You can pick up a couple of drinks at the poolside bar, Muddy Rivers, and enjoy the pool from a safe distance. ;-)

Once your tired of the pool at POR then just take a short walk over to the very festive pool at Port Orleans French Quarter. Take advantage of the pool-hopping because Port Orleans is the only resort that allows it.

#1- See Bob Jackson play!

While staying at Port Orleans Riverside it is your civic duty to see Bob Jackson play the Piano at the River Roost lounge. He's generally there 5 nites a week and plays sets from 9pm til midnight. It's family-friendly so children of all ages are welcome to join in and sing-along with Bob. I have 2 tips for the newbies out there.

1- Find a seat as close as possible to the piano.
2- Make sure to have a couple of drinks before the show starts. It makes it
a lot easier to sing-along to the "Monkee's Theme Song" if your plastered.
I highly recommend ordering their Mississippi Mudslide. My wife lives for
that drink;-)

And if you get embarassed easily you might want to leave the camera back at the room. Last time we saw Bob I drank too many mudslides and ended up watching a video the next morning of myself riding an imaginery horse around the lounge to the tune of Bonanza.

You've been warned. HAVE FUN!!!!!

P.S.- Here's a pic of Bob.
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/sho...&cat=500&page=1
<!-- / message -->

Upvote 0

tduck

vilegirl said:
I'm staying at POR for the first time next month. This is the first time I've stayed at a moderate. Does anyone have any opinions about this resort (good or bad) and any suggestions of things not to miss?

Thanks!!

If you are talking about Port Orleans Riverside, you are gong to have a blast. This is our third time we are going to be staying there. :) well i hope you have alot of fun. by the way, when are you leaving for your trip to disney world?

Upvote 0

MinnieGal

POR is absolutely beautiful. I have stayed in the Alligator Bayou but I love the mansions.Boatwrights is a great place. you will have a wonderful time..

Have fun:)

Upvote 0

dannytaylor

i stayed there on 7-8-05 to 7-16-05 and it is a great resort wonderful suroundings and peaceful,the onle problems i had was that the bushes that line the front area of your room smell awful and that the customer service was not as good as it is at some of the other resorts,my maid did not bring towels or coffee everyday so ,i had to call housekeeping 3 times that 8 days.but,all in all it is a great place.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom