POR or AKL?? Help!

TikiBeckie

I can upgrade to AKL for the week from POR for $650. I can't decide if it is worth it! I have heard hte busses at POR are terrible...so AKL is sounding nice. I know it's better because it is a deluxe, but it is really worth it? Help me decide, I have never stayed at either! Thanks!

jtbukuts

You can only get the sunrise safari if you stay on the conceriege level... I'm not to sure how that will be changing with the change over to the villas??

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

It's a $650 difference between the two resorts.

How much do you like looking at giraffes and zebras?
How does your buget look- is $650 pocket change?

You can vist the AKL without staying there and you can eat at Boma and/or Jiko.
POR is very nice.

Good luck.
:)

Upvote 0

phenom1307

I can upgrade to AKL for the week from POR for $650. I can't decide if it is worth it! I have heard hte busses at POR are terrible...so AKL is sounding nice. I know it's better because it is a deluxe, but it is really worth it? Help me decide, I have never stayed at either! Thanks!

i've stayed at Riverside/Dixie Landings(as it use to be called) for 9 years straight and i can tell you i never thought the buses to be terrible, occassionally you get the one that goes to all 4 stops but that is rare...at least it has been the times i have been. AKL is kinda on the outskirts of the property...granted it is right by DAK but very far from everything else

but if the rate for AKL is the same as POR, which im guessing it is from what you wrote, then id prolly do it just because i've never stayed there.

Upvote 0
Akl

Gotta tell ya...last time we stayed in the world was this past January. One day when our kids were off doing their own thing my DW and I hopped a bus to the MK from the WL where we were staying. From the MK we hopped a bus to the AKL. We are DVC members and our home resort is SSR. Now that AKL is a DVC resort we wanted to see what we've been missing. We had never been there before and my DW has always dreamed of a couple of nights with a savana veiw. I talked her into staying at the WL first and after our visit, we were both happy we did. We were not overly impressed by AKL. Our future son-in-law was doing his internship at AP in the WL...that probably was the factor that swayed us???:king:. Anyway, the WL and AKL are the same price...

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

Question

I have an OT question about POR and with so many threads on the subject, I think this is as good a place as any to ask...

We have been staying in Monorail resorts for the past few trips, and I love the convenance of going back to the room during the day.

Question is: How long does it take to go back to the room in the middle of the day if you are staying at POR?

Upvote 0

go3epcot

Another of the "stayed at POR, visited AKL" group. My wife and 3 kids enjoy POR and its atmosphere. Good food choices, though we often eat at parks and other resorts (including AKL- Boma). Have shied away from AKL due to its additional cost and its being off the beaten path a bit. If you WANT to be off the beaten path, I have heard only good things about AKL (I have stayed at WL, which is supposed to be quite similar in room size to AKL- a little smaller than other deluxe resorts, but nice). AKL does have the construction going on, so that may be a concern for you.

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Gotta tell ya...last time we stayed in the world was this past January. One day when our kids were off doing their own thing my DW and I hopped a bus to the MK from the WL where we were staying. From the MK we hopped a bus to the AKL. We are DVC members and our home resort is SSR. Now that AKL is a DVC resort we wanted to see what we've been missing. We had never been there before and my DW has always dreamed of a couple of nights with a savana veiw. I talked her into staying at the WL first and after our visit, we were both happy we did. We were not overly impressed by AKL. Our future son-in-law was doing his internship at AP in the WL...that probably was the factor that swayed us???:king:. Anyway, the WL and AKL are the same price...

Probably not as much as you think it did. LOL! Glad that we are not the only ones who were let down by AKL. It was kind of lonely over here.:wave:

Upvote 0

nikko

I stayed there on our last trip. As mentioned before, it is pretty far away from everything but AK. I believe I read somewhere that it is the farthest away from MK, making for a little longer bus ride. The atmosphere in the resort is very fun (they have a campfire at night and night vision goggles to view the animals). I have found though that there is not a huge difference in the rooms vs. moderate hotels (besides the view obviously) and the bed was hard as a rock. It was nice to experience but I don't think I would stay there again.

Upvote 0

phichi17

The two resorts are for two completely different kind of folks. POR, which I love, is great for families and has many amenities that families use. AKL, in my experience, is more for the romantic types looking for some peace and quiet.

Either resort is a winner in my book and have never had a bad experience at either.

Upvote 0

phenom1307

I have an OT question about POR and with so many threads on the subject, I think this is as good a place as any to ask...

We have been staying in Monorail resorts for the past few trips, and I love the convenance of going back to the room during the day.

Question is: How long does it take to go back to the room in the middle of the day if you are staying at POR?

depends how long the bus takes to get there....they run anywhere from every 20-30 mins...so if you get there and a bus is there its around 10 mins maybe closer to 15 (depending on traffic) before youre back at the resort...if a bus isnt there, it could be anywhere from 15-50mins...depending when the bus left, when another one will show up, traffic, etc

Upvote 0
Akl?

Probably not as much as you think it did. LOL! Glad that we are not the only ones who were let down by AKL. It was kind of lonely over here.:wave:

:wave:There may be a day when we use our DVC points to stay in an AKL villa...just so we can say we did. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice place, we just like the WL more. As far as the future son-in-law goes, he proposed to my DD on the beach at the WL after asking my permission. He told my DD afterwards that he asked me to step outside when he asked for her hand so that he would have someplace to run to if he needed to LOL... Let me paint you a picture, I'm a 6'4" 300 plus lb. ex-military biker, and she's my baby girl...(don't tell the kid that I'm still a little boy myself) especially at WDW...:king:. Besides I do like him...just wanna keep e'm guessing...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom