Popular Ice Cream Chain Ample Hills Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster

The decision to file for bankruptcy was made before the city shut down all restaurants and bars in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19, the spokesperson tells Eater, and the bankruptcy — officially filed on Sunday, March 15 — is unrelated to the pandemic. The company, which has 14 locations across New York City, cited extreme delays in the opening of its 15,000-square-foot Red Hook factory, museum, and store as particularly detrimental to the business, according to the bankruptcy court filing.

“Because the factory delays impacted Ample Hills’s expansion strategy, the factory has not been as fully utilized as Ample Hills originally planned, which has led to continuing operating losses,” the filing states.

WhatJaneSays

That spot at Disney Springs they were expanding to could be a great location for something. It's a tad small, but being right next to the AMC I'm sure someone would would find use for it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
@ajrwdwgirl are you seeing this😮

Thank you ladies for the concern. 😍 I do love their ice cream. I just enjoyed some from the Boardwalk location a couple nights ago and I have a pint and a half here in my freezer at home. This announcement does make me wonder if I need to order more to be delivered to my home as a just in case. Some people may be hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer these days and I might have to start hoarding ice cream!

mdcpr

I love Ample Hills! We've been going to the original one since it opened. Too bad they expanded so quick and couldn't manage it all.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Thank you ladies for the concern. 😍 I do love their ice cream. I just enjoyed some from the Boardwalk location a couple nights ago and I have a pint and a half here in my freezer at home. This announcement does make me wonder if I need to order more to be delivered to my home as a just in case. Some people may be hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer these days and I might have to start hoarding ice cream!
Hey, I have been going to Stew Leonards and hoarding Dole Whip! (Of course I have been adding Malibu to it but...)

The Grand Inquisitor

The decision to file for bankruptcy was made before the city shut down all restaurants and bars in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19, the spokesperson tells Eater, and the bankruptcy — officially filed on Sunday, March 15 — is unrelated to the pandemic. The company, which has 14 locations across New York City, cited extreme delays in the opening of its 15,000-square-foot Red Hook factory, museum, and store as particularly detrimental to the business, according to the bankruptcy court filing.

“Because the factory delays impacted Ample Hills’s expansion strategy, the factory has not been as fully utilized as Ample Hills originally planned, which has led to continuing operating losses,” the filing states.
Dang that really sucks.

wdw71fan

Recently inside the wall there.. Very little has been done.. mostly stripping away of anything that would tie the location to Something Silver, signage, some wall coverings, etc.

Creathir

Sad to see this go.
But, maybe something better will replace it!

Here’s to hoping Amy’s Ice Cream expands beyond central Texas...

NelleBelle

I'm really sad to hear this 😕 I loved their ice cream when we were there last--it was a great little "date" for DH and I, a quick escape over to the boardwalk to do something just the two of us and dang if that ice cream isn't the bomb!! Sad the company found themselves in this financial bind and wish them luck on their recovery. Hopefully a new, delicious ice bream shop will set-up there, e.g. Salt & Straw, Molly Moon's (Seattle)...will take any boutique, unique ice creamery!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom