Pop or Moderate???

tink247

First, I have to say, that all the years reading posts asking these kind of questions always kind of irked me (so sorry!). There is so much info and reviews out there- I didn't see what the need was to ask-and ask-and ask the same questions over and over. (Here's where I admit defeat....I can't believe I'm about to do it.... ACK!!!):hammer:

Please help me decide where to stay!?!:veryconfu We're (DH and DS-6 & DS-2) trying to plan a trip for late April. We've only been once before and stayed at POFQ. I've always been very leary of the values from reviews, but we're trying to save $$ and I'm thinking about the POP.

(Here's where I get to my point...) :brick:Our rate for 9 nites (room only-preferred room-AAA disc.) is $993 plus the cost of the fridge. (We save a lot of $$ by having groceries delivered and eating one meal a day in our room.) A cost of a moderate (room only) is $1458. Do you all think it's worth the extra few hundred to stay at a moderate? I'm concerned about the room size (we do go back for afternoon naps & a meal)- and the long waits for busses.

Thanks in advance for putting up w/ me!!

disney magic 06

I know exactly how you feel. Our last trip (March 07) was the first time we'd stayed at a value resort and how pleasantly surprised we were. The room didnt appear to be any different size-wize at all (although statistically I believe the rooms at Pop are slightly smaller). The only real noticeable difference was there was only one washbasin at Pop, there were two at CBR.

We thought long and hard before we booked Pop, but there is quite a saving and for the amount of time we spend in the hotel, we decided that we would rather have extra spending money.

Of course its a personal decision and as you have small children you may find that you do spend more time at your resort, but Pop was loads nicer than we expected.

And don't forget, wherever you stay,it will be magical! have a great time :)

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

If saving $$ is the concern go to POP. However, if the standard of hotel is a concern you could get a "Mod" quality at "Pop" prices by staying off property

Upvote 0

DisneyPirate85

Wait time for bus's at Pop was awefull when we there in July 07, LET ME STRESS AWEFULL....no awning, standing in the sun or rain BEAUTIFULL..NOT

Spent last trip Dec 07 at POR bus's was good and often both to and from resort and covered stops. Plus food court was not as chaotic as Pop. :wave:

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

It all comes down to what your budget allows.

I would take a Moderate resort anytime over a Value, if the money is there for it.
If not, then think like 'We're only going to use the room to sleep and take a shower anyway."

Good luck,:)

Upvote 0

littlegoofy1

Pop vs Moderate

Another thing to consider since you are traveling with 2 children. I am assuming you will have a stroller? The Moderates do not have elevators which normally is normally not a big issue, but when you are carrying a sleeping 2yr old and a stroller, it can make all the difference, especially if the 6 yr old is worn out from the walking as well. We have stayed at Pop and did not find the buses to be an issue, room size was fine even when we had 2 double beds and 2 playpens in the room. Plus I think the kids would like the themeing of Pop more at their ages.

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member
Another thing to consider since you are traveling with 2 children. I am assuming you will have a stroller? The Moderates do not have elevators which normally is normally not a big issue, but when you are carrying a sleeping 2yr old and a stroller, it can make all the difference, especially if the 6 yr old is worn out from the walking as well. We have stayed at Pop and did not find the buses to be an issue, room size was fine even when we had 2 double beds and 2 playpens in the room. Plus I think the kids would like the themeing of Pop more at their ages.

We had an elevator at Coronado... :shrug:

Upvote 0

TikiBeckie

:wave:Hi

We just got back from Port Orleans and our bus issues were way were then at POP. It was atrocious. The bad thing about POP is there being no awning at the bus stop. If its hot, rainy, etc. this can stink. But the room size is really not that much smaller. I would give POP a try if I were you :)

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

The only bus problems we had at Pop were the ones going to and from Downtown Disney in the evening, which seemed to be few and far between. The park shuttles were fine.

Upvote 0

TTFN-Tiggger

I would save the money on the room and stay at POP. I have stayed there a couple of times and again this coming March. The only trouble I had with the buses was DTD in the evening - seemed to run slower than the park buses. Plus, I think the children will enjoy the theming of the resort. Have a fun time!

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

Ya know, I just posted a message in a thread about POR and I totally forgot the bus issue (thanks for jarring my memory, TikiBeckie!). I'd take the Pop bus service over the POR bus service any day. It was horrible! Don't know if the POR service is the same as other mods, but that was my experience.

And there is covered seating available at the Pop bus area, fyi.

Also, I didn't notice a huge difference in the room sizes. I was surprised that the POR bathroom was so small, on par with Pop. We got separate sinks at POR - as opposed to the one at Pop - but that really didn't matter to us.

I'd check to see if there were any group activities (like Pop Warner, cheerleader competitions, graduations, etc.) on tap around that time. That would influence my decision a lot.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

tink247

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

I think I will plan on staying at the Pop for now. ($300 is at least a plane ticket) If our tax refund is better than expected and we can - then we'll upgrade. Until then- I've got to psych myslef up for the Pop. It won't be to hard- considering it is at Disney!!!

Thanks for all your input!

Upvote 0

danpam1024

There's an Elevator @POFQ

Upvote 0

Kman101

Pop is my top choice for a Value. The busses are all by themselves (they don't share with another resort), it's affordable and fun.

Port Orleans: FQ is my top choice for a Moderate. I've stayed there twice and loved it. Not crazy about the bus service there though. Shares with Riverside a lot.

It's all about money. Both have their pros and cons.

Upvote 0

mhead

The moderates DO have elevators. They look like service/freight elevators, but they are there at all the moderates.

Two years ago we stayed at CBR and when booking were told there are no elevators at the resort. This is the only resort I have heard of not having them though.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom