Pop Century

wainy

Original Poster
We have just returned from a fantastic 2 week visit to the Pop Century. I noticed that across the lake there are unfinished blocks of hotel rooms with no construction going on, why?
Also looking across the parking lot in the direction of the Caribbean Beach Resort, I noticed a new high rise hotel that looked in it's final stages of completion, is this a new Disney hotel ?

njblackberry

We have just returned from a fantastic 2 week visit to the Pop Century. I noticed that across the lake there are unfinished blocks of hotel rooms with no construction going on, why?
Also looking across the parking lot in the direction of the Caribbean Beach Resort, I noticed a new high rise hotel that looked in it's final stages of completion, is this a new Disney hotel ?
Pop Century was never finished. The buildings you see are the early part of the 20th century "decades" that were started before 9/11 and not completed when tourism fell.

The high rise you see is probably the Bonnet Creek resort, which is a timeshare property operated by Fairfield Resorts. It is surrounded by Disney property (and I-4) but is not owned by Disney.

wainy

Original Poster
That's interesting. It always seems busy or fully booked up, of late, wonder if they intend to finish the new buildings any time soon due to tourism taking an up swing in the last couple of years?

DisJosh

Yep, that ghost town is 1900-1940 lol.

I would imagine they'll finish it some day...seems like a waste if they were to just leave it all sitting there forever. I'm a huge fan of Pop and would really love to be able to choose from the earlier decades. :)

bob0012

That's interesting. It always seems busy or fully booked up, of late, wonder if they intend to finish the new buildings any time soon due to tourism taking an up swing in the last couple of years?

Current rumor is they will finish it off with family suites.

slappy magoo

I wonder if they're going to have to demolish and start from scratch. Whether leaving the foundaiton unfinished for so long may have weakened its integrity.

bob0012

I wonder if they're going to have to demolish and start from scratch. Whether leaving the foundaiton unfinished for so long may have weakened its integrity.

I was actually wondering the same thing since the unfinished buildings have been open to the elements without any work. This includes the florida heat and humidity, as well as several hurricanes. So if anything there is probebly a huge mold problem on the wood.

Rob562

I was actually wondering the same thing since the unfinished buildings have been open to the elements without any work. This includes the florida heat and humidity, as well as several hurricanes. So if anything there is probebly a huge mold problem on the wood.

The basic structure of the Pop buildings is steel and cement, not wood. Chances are, there won't be any problems with them sitting there for so long as they're just the shells. It'll just require them to come in and pressure wash or sand blast everything clean before they can start work on completing them.

-Rob

bob0012

The basic structure of the Pop buildings is steel and cement, not wood. Chances are, there won't be any problems with them sitting there for so long as they're just the shells. It'll just require them to come in and pressure wash or sand blast everything clean before they can start work on completing them.

-Rob

From what I recall lots of the wood is up and some of the glass is even in. And in the florida heat, humidity and rain that could be a problem.

PoohsGang

From what I recall lots of the wood is up and some of the glass is even in. And in the florida heat, humidity and rain that could be a problem.

We were there in December the bartender told us they currently have stuff stored in them, as he has been in them so as I can tell they are weather tight. Being in the construction business sometimes its easier to level them and start new depending upon final layout and changes from the original blueprints.

bob0012

We were there in December the bartender told us they currently have stuff stored in them, as he has been in them so as I can tell they are weather tight. Being in the construction business sometimes its easier to level them and start new depending upon final layout and changes from the original blueprints.

the lobby/resturant is weather tight, as are some of the rooms, but some do not have doors, others don't have windows.

DisJosh

Hmmm. I stayed at Pop twice in 05 and don't recall any wood. I would expect everything is made out of steel just like every other structure in WDW. Espescially considering hurricanes. Even if there are temporary wood structures I wouldn't think it's in Disney's best interest to leave them up because a storm could level them or worse debree could injure guests.

nibblesandbits

This is a pic I have of the main building...if it helps:

100_1015.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom