pop century questiion.....

grumpys kid

On my last visit to wdw (oct.-nov. 06) I took a walk around the resort and after looking at what i think was called the "millenium bridge" I noticed another building where instead of 50's through the 90's like the current one, it was labled 00' though 40's. is this something that is in mid-construction, or is it part of the dvc? :shrug:

jesserin

Currently this is a stalled project. There are rumors that eventually they will turn this side of Pop into the family suites (now located only at the All Star Music) but nothing's planned yet.

This comes up every now and then... do a search for related questions and you'll likely find 3 or 4 threads with more information. :wave:

And welcome to wdwmagic!

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

On my last visit to wdw (oct.-nov. 06) I took a walk around the resort and after looking at what i think was called the "millenium bridge" I noticed another building where instead of 50's through the 90's like the current one, it was labled 00' though 40's. is this something that is in mid-construction, or is it part of the dvc? :shrug:
It was supposed to be a tribute to the 20's, 30's & 40's.
I think they were planned to be suites.
But, the project was never finished.

Upvote 0
My Mom asked a bus driver when we were at Pop a few weeks ago and she said much of the same. She also said that these buildings were not up to "code" and have to be torn down and started over. Kind of a bummer if she has her facts straight.

Upvote 0

Rob562

My Mom asked a bus driver when we were at Pop a few weeks ago and she said much of the same. She also said that these buildings were not up to "code" and have to be torn down and started over. Kind of a bummer if she has her facts straight.

Well, by "not up to code" they mean dirty and needing a good pressure cleaning, then yes. I don't think they would need to be torn down. They pretty much only finished the steel and conrete framing and flooring. Nothing that could get heavily damaged by exposure to weather was installed. Yes a lot of pressure washing, perhaps some sand-blasting, but not a tear-down. I also believe the main building (food court, front desk) was at least sealed up with doors and windows, unlike the two guest room buildings.

Although the "abandoned" buildings have been sitting there vacant longer, remember that contruction was stopped on the currently-open half of Pop for about 18 months, and those buildings sat there only partially completed, too.

Do a search on YouTube. Someone snuck over there and took some video footage of what's there, even went inside one of the rooms.

Edit: Here's a link to that video. Kinda creepy, actually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY

-Rob

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Well, by "not up to code" they mean dirty and needing a good pressure cleaning, then yes. I don't think they would need to be torn down. They pretty much only finished the steel and conrete framing and flooring. Nothing that could get heavily damaged by exposure to weather was installed. Yes a lot of pressure washing, perhaps some sand-blasting, but not a tear-down. I also believe the main building (food court, front desk) was at least sealed up with doors and windows, unlike the two guest room buildings.

Although the "abandoned" buildings have been sitting there vacant longer, remember that contruction was stopped on the currently-open half of Pop for about 18 months, and those buildings sat there only partially completed, too.

Do a search on YouTube. Someone snuck over there and took some video footage of what's there, even went inside one of the rooms.

Edit: Here's a link to that video. Kinda creepy, actually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY

-Rob

I can't believe someone went over there, what a risk they were taking. Too bad he they didn't go inside Legendary Hall, that would have been interesting.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom