Pop Century or Moderate

Pfeifer1990

Original Poster
May 2020 will be my first trip back to WDW in 20 years (it's been way toooo long). There will be 5 of us in 2 rooms (me, husband and adult son in one room; adult daughter and her girlfriend in the other). The 3 kids have been to WDW but don't remember much and for me everything is new (I had been to WDW 8 times previous to 2020.) Our plan is early mornings at the park then rest and pool at resort and then late afternoon back to the parks for the evening. We plan on at least 5-6 days at WDW.
My question is where to stay. My DD wants to start budgeting now so I'm trying to come up with a rough idea of cost but I am struggling with which resort.
Pop Century is the only value I would consider (have stayed at all stars they were fine when the kids were younger) but I am concerned about the Murphy bed and how cramped it will feel when the bed is down (our son is built like a linebacker) I like the barn doors that separate the sink area for sound reduction.
Love CBR but I am concerned about the price going up after the construction etc. and though the gondolas seem cool unlikely 3 of the 5 would get on one as flying is the only anxiety we would want to deal with on vacation.
Coronado is appealing but not sure we would enjoy staying at resort where not everyone is excited to be there for the MAGIC of Disney.
Port Orleans/Riverside/French Quarter I am so torn on this resort. I've never stayed here but I hear such great things. My concerns are: are the beds 2 queens; are there going to be more than fabric with the renos to separate the sink area from the sleeping area and the rooms seem so dark.
Would love any input/opinions/thoughts from others who have experienced stays at these resorts.

Minnie Mum

If budget will allow it, I'll always recommend a mod over a value. The grounds are more lush. The theming is exceedingly well done. The rooms are larger. And even when the resort is full it never seems crowded or particularly noisy. i could go on . Of all the mods, POFQ is our favorite. It's smaller, so no long treks to and from the bus, main building or pool. We love the theming. CMs all seem friendly and helpful (I know that should be a given, but it's not always the case at some of the other resorts). These factors trump price for us, ESPECIALLY because we always take midday breaks and at least one non park day.

As for the rooms, as I said before, the rooms are larger and have queen beds instead of doubles. Having stayed at the other mods, I think the sliding doors are mainly esthetic. I didn't find any difference in noise reduction over the curtain separating the vanity area. And I didn't think the room was dark at all.

POR is close enough to visit for their restaurants, and you're allowed to use their pools as well. Best of all, both resorts have live evening entertainment most nights at Scat Cats and River Roost.

LeighM

May 2020 will be my first trip back to WDW in 20 years (it's been way toooo long). There will be 5 of us in 2 rooms (me, husband and adult son in one room; adult daughter and her girlfriend in the other). The 3 kids have been to WDW but don't remember much and for me everything is new (I had been to WDW 8 times previous to 2020.) Our plan is early mornings at the park then rest and pool at resort and then late afternoon back to the parks for the evening. We plan on at least 5-6 days at WDW.
My question is where to stay. My DD wants to start budgeting now so I'm trying to come up with a rough idea of cost but I am struggling with which resort.
Pop Century is the only value I would consider (have stayed at all stars they were fine when the kids were younger) but I am concerned about the Murphy bed and how cramped it will feel when the bed is down (our son is built like a linebacker) I like the barn doors that separate the sink area for sound reduction.
Love CBR but I am concerned about the price going up after the construction etc. and though the gondolas seem cool unlikely 3 of the 5 would get on one as flying is the only anxiety we would want to deal with on vacation.
Coronado is appealing but not sure we would enjoy staying at resort where not everyone is excited to be there for the MAGIC of Disney.
Port Orleans/Riverside/French Quarter I am so torn on this resort. I've never stayed here but I hear such great things. My concerns are: are the beds 2 queens; are there going to be more than fabric with the renos to separate the sink area from the sleeping area and the rooms seem so dark.
Would love any input/opinions/thoughts from others who have experienced stays at these resorts.

My husband and I have stayed at Riverside 4 times and each time we love it even more. We've stayed in the Magnolia Bend mansion section and the Royal rooms (2 queen beds and at the time they had curtain divider between bathrooms). The Alligator Bayou section has the 2 queens and the murphy bed bench. French Quarter is currently undergoing the room renovations and I think I saw the curtains were still being used. But I wouldn't bet all my money on that :) We prefer the menus at the food court at both Riverside and French Quarter. The boat ride to Disney Springs is great. Port Orleans is such a relaxing resort and a welcome break for us from the parks. This past March, we stayed at Coronado Springs because I got a better rate when the Disney Visa discount was released. I requested the Ranchos section in the newly renovated 7A and we loved it! We never even noticed anyone there for a convention so, for us, it didn't take away from the magic at all. One thing I did notice, was that the pool at Coronado (which was better than that at Riverside) was never as busy as the Port Orleans pools. Maybe the crowds were less because of the conventioneers. Whatever the cause, it was nice to lay out and relax. Plus, the hot tub at Coronado is one of the biggest on property :)

Did you look into Art of Animation family suites? It costs a little bit more, and is available for room discounts, but it gives you a separate room for you and your husband can have the separate bedroom with bath while your adult son can sleep on the pull out in the living space and have his own bathroom as well. If you think he would be comfortable with those beds.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
The refurbished POP rooms have 2 queens. When the Murphy bed is down, it does make the space snug. However, I am 5’11” 300lbs, and I had no problems getting around.

Either two of the Port Orleans resorts are the best moderates to stay in at this moment. POR has five “quiet” pools in addition to the main pool.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
If it were me, I'd opt for the POP and save money. If your intent is to just have a place to stay and spend your time at the parks the the POP or AoA makes more sense. My kids love the moderates and deluxes because there's more stuff to do at the resort, but if you'll not be at the resort much then opt for the less expensive option

@Pfeifer1990
I've been staying at POP CENTURY for five years and my wife has been running for 15 years. For me it is one of the best in WDW and now with its new rooms, you save money, has recently updated facilities and has many advantages.

The first for me, is that for anyone who is all day in the park and just go to sleep this hotel is perfect.

For people who are 50% park and 50% hotel is also very good, because in addition to having three different pools depends on the area of your room, you have animation all day both for children and adults, so if you want a lively pool you You go to the main one and if you are looking for something more relaxing you will go to any of the other two.

On the other hand, the connections you have with bus are as follows:

- EPCOT and HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS are very close, just 10 minutes by bus.
- ANIMAL KINGDOM about 15 minutis
- MAGIC KINGDOM about 25 minutes.

I hope I have helped you and I hope to meet someone from the forum! I go from August 16 to 31 guys!

Wendy Pleakley

I love the moderate resorts. I love just strolling the expansive grounds and enjoying the atmosphere, much more so than Pop Century.

I've found Coronado to have the least crowded buses, presumably due to many resort guests being convention goers.

If you go with a moderate, I recommend budgeting some time to enjoy the resort, even if just a few extra hours one afternoon.

HoraceHorizons

I stayed at most of the Moderate Resorts and Pop Century (which IMO is the only Value Resort I like, for a variety of reasons).

I read through your plan and since you would like to go to the resort pool mid-day, I would say the two BEST options for you are Port Orleans RIVERSIDE or Coronado Springs Resort. Of the two, I would choose Coronado Springs because by 2020 (hopefully?) the contruction will have been completed which will give the resort many new amentities to explore, and it already has more than the other Moderates.
I realize you are worried about being surrounded by people / conventioners NOT being there for DISNEY WORLD but I have stayed there 3x in the past 8 years and have NEVER even known or run into anyone I would THINK was a conventioner. The place is enormous.
The PROS here are: A highly themed secluded pool area with an arcade, playground, bar and dining on site. Lots of water recreation, amenities and beautiful grounds. There are several restaurants including a Lounge and the Pepper Market - which is one of the better Quick Service Restuarants at the resorts and the best for breakfast, in my experience. The rooms are also spacious and well kept up with since being renovated a few years ago. They are also currently building a neat gastro-pub in the center of the lake, and will no doubt have several more dining options in the new DVC Tower, when it is completed.
A BIG CON for Coronado Springs is that even with the construction IN PROGRESS now, the pricing is already going up! I expect it will trickle up, little by little until 2021. Whenever the construction is done, I'm willing to bet it will be closer in pricing to a deluxe resort.

PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE, also has a wonderfully themed, separate pool area and great resort theme overall, including nice restaurants, and Yee-Haw Bob at the Lounge. In addition, a huge plus is having the boat that goesnto Disney Springs and runs until 1am (?) each night. I can't stress how nice that boat ride is IMO. It makes for a really nice addition to your trip. I also enjoy the Quick Service restuarants there and you can walk to the FRENCH QUARTER if you want to explore. FQ is also nice but not as much for families as Riverside. If you are worried about the rooms at Riverside and their lighting, stay in the Mansion areas, where the rooms are spacious. They are not "dark" here in anyway. It could just be the pictures... But I will say that the swamp sections are set in wooded areas to maintain the effect and are thus a more shaded area of the resort.

I expect, by 2020, any resort with the skyliner will be busier than others without, but consider that Carribean Beach also is undergoing extensive renevations which, once completed will likely be quite entertaining. Still, its hard to rate given that it has yet to be completed. I also expect to spend alot more $ there by comparisson, once all this stuff is complete.

Circling back to POP CENTURY, its a fun, hip place but the one area it really doesn't compare to the moderates in question, is in this midday lounge by the pool you are anticipating. A NOTE ON THAT: POP CENTURY's bus in notoriously mobbed and it takes longer to get around waiting for it. So much so that it is faster to take the bus to ART OF ANIMATION and walk across the lake most times (pro tip!). The reason I bring this up, is I think you should consider how long it will take to bus back to your hotel, go the the pool and head back to the parks! It can take up to an hour just to get from the park to the resort and then another to get back by bus, depending where you are staying and which park you are going to. Midday the buses like to make stops mid-route to water parks and etc. Consider renting a car if this is important to you. That said: The pools at the Value Resorts are far more concrete and paint oriented, whereas at Coronado Springs and PO Riverside, the pool areas are sorta lush, themed destinations in themselves.

hope this helps!

Last edited:

ppet

I like to stay at both resorts, but POFQ is my favorite of all the WDW resorts. The pool there is a great place to relax. Also a boat trip down river to DS in the evening is enjoyable. If your DD is wanting to start budgeting down, I would recommend budgeting for the moderate and if you end up at POP, you just have more cash for dole whips:)

BraveGirl

Pop is our favorite, I'd rather save the money to use on more days at the parks than a fancier hotel. But it depends on your priorities. For me, longer trips, more park days and fun dining options are more important that the how fancy my hotel is. I've stayed at Pop with 3 adults and two small children in one room and we were fine.

Tom P.

Why not Art of Animation? It's the only value I would ever even consider staying in. Pop, IMO, is the tackiest place in all of Walt Disney World.
I notice that Art of Animation often gets overlooked when talking about value resorts. I think there has been a reputation built up that it is so much more expensive than other value resorts. It's true that the Little Mermaid rooms often do not get the discounts that other resorts get, so that can make it more expensive. But I think oftentimes people just see the cost of a family suite and get sticker shock, when the reality is that you have to compare that against the cost of TWO rooms somewhere else.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
POP to me has always been a tweener. When I think of values I'm always thinking AllStars. POP has probably the best food court of any resort, reliable bus service, and an overall good vibe.

That being said I prefer POR/POFQ. Never had any issue with the bedroom/bathroom divider and the grounds are probably the best on property. The boat to DS is convenient. I prefer the public areas and pool to that of POP - and the entertainment is better.

If you do stay at POP in 2020, you'll have the Gondola's which may change the dynamic and you are also about a 20 minute walk (lobby to lobby) from the CBR. By the time you go - the Riviera will be open as well.

slappy magoo

This might not be an issue to anyone in your party but it sounds like you'll have 3 young adults in your party (your son, your daughter and daughter's friend). Coronado does provide a bit of a nightspot in Rix Lounge with DJs and dancing. If none of them loves the nightlife or gotta boogie, it's wasted on you.

Coronado is also the only moderate with an onsite gym/spa. Since you mentioned plans to come back to the resort in the afternoon to rest, this also gives you opportunities for a spa afternoon, or if anyone wants to try to work off whatever indulgent foods they're eating that week.

cdeev8690

I agree with most of the advice given. In my opinion, and others share the same, the choice between a value and a moderate depends, of course, on how much time you really intend to spend at your resort. If you intend on spending the majority of your days at the parks, then one of the Values is the way to go (by the way, WDW is updating the All Stars to match the rooms at Pop so by the time you are there in 2020, all of the value resorts will have updated rooms). The money you save on the room alone can be easily spent elsewhere.

If you are going to spend the money on a Moderate or Deluxe, put time into your itinerary to enjoy the resort.

As far as trying to calculate cost, the pricing fluctuates throughout the year and depending on the season, Pop Century could be $150+ a night for a Standard Room or it could be $100 a night. Prices for the Values will likely go up once the updates to the rooms and the construction of the Skyliner is completed. Moderates usually float around $200 but could be more or less, again, depending on the season.

I'd focus more on the cost of tickets to be honest.

Janir

Another +1 for a moderate resort - Port Orleans Riverside. On top of the comments about more space for adults in a moderate, we like PO:R as it has a relaxed feeling with the space that yoru not as crowded as a value can feel. Sure there is more potential walking to and from your room to facilities or bus stops, but one good trick is to do early online checkin and you can make a request for a particular location in any resort. Pick something close to a bus pick up or closer to the main commons, or to a pool. Whatever works for your group. Last 2 trips we took, we got our choice of location for our early online checkin. (POR and Saratoga Springs) I don't know if the App checkin allows for room request locations but the online website does and you can do weeks before you plan to arrive. Your room won't be ready any sooner but they get your room location requests in. sooner can help.

HoraceHorizons

I agree with most of the advice given. In my opinion, and others share the same, the choice between a value and a moderate depends, of course, on how much time you really intend to spend at your resort. If you intend on spending the majority of your days at the parks, then one of the Values is the way to go (by the way, WDW is updating the All Stars to match the rooms at Pop so by the time you are there in 2020, all of the value resorts will have updated rooms). The money you save on the room alone can be easily spent elsewhere.

If you are going to spend the money on a Moderate or Deluxe, put time into your itinerary to enjoy the resort.

As far as trying to calculate cost, the pricing fluctuates throughout the year and depending on the season, Pop Century could be $150+ a night for a Standard Room or it could be $100 a night. Prices for the Values will likely go up once the updates to the rooms and the construction of the Skyliner is completed. Moderates usually float around $200 but could be more or less, again, depending on the season.

I'd focus more on the cost of tickets to be honest.

Thats a good point about rates at POP and Art of Animation going up once the Skyliner is completed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom