Pop Century Legend Years

mayoki

Original Poster
I recently stayed at Pop Century, and you can't help but notice the large carcass that was to be the other half of the resort. It looks like it wouldn't need to much more to be completed, yet it just sits there.

Several cast members said is has been dormant since 9/11 and there are no plans to finish it. One CM said he heard it was going to be converted to office space.

Anyone heard any more about this resort?

peter11435

mayoki said:
I recently stayed at Pop Century, and you can't help but notice the large carcass that was to be the other half of the resort. It looks like it wouldn't need to much more to be completed, yet it just sits there.

Several cast members said is has been dormant since 9/11 and there are no plans to finish it. One CM said he heard it was going to be converted to office space.

Anyone heard any more about this resort?

There are rumors that it will be completed as family suites. Chances are it will one day be completed as a value resort. Cast Members are for the most part horrible sources of information. That said there is actually a lot of work that remains to be done. So far all that is there is the shell of three buildings. The entire resort will consist of 11 buildings and 2 pools. Only the foundations have been layed for 8 of these buildings. Not to mention the entire thing would then need painted, themed, interiors finished, and landscaping done.

elpirataman

I have noticed that too, but all that work, I am sure Disney will finish it. It would look very weird to be in the 60's building seeing cast members and other things happening right across the lake if you know what I mean!

ToTBellHop

I'm sure it will be completed one day...occupancy just needs to rise back to those pre-9/11 levels. Once the values can keep 90+% of its beds full consistently, they will go back to working on Legendary Years. Converted into offices? Certainly not permanently. That's just bad show. Guests should never have clear views of an office...parking lots, yes. But, not offices.

flscooman

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I'm sure it will be completed one day...occupancy just needs to rise back to those pre-9/11 levels. Once the values can keep 90+% of its beds full consistently, they will go back to working on Legendary Years. Converted into offices? Certainly not permanently. That's just bad show. Guests should never have clear views of an office...parking lots, yes. But, not offices.
Downtown Disney Casting Building and Team Disney ... if they're theamed it doesn't matter

brertigger

hakunamatata said:
My understanding is that its going to be a Harry Potter themed value resort. Harry Potter and the Chambers of Sleep.
Perhaps with a monorail stop and of course a private gate into the fifth park?

j/k

peter11435

flscooman said:
Downtown Disney Casting Building and Team Disney ... if they're theamed it doesn't matter
I think he means from their Disney resort. That area would be a terrible location anyway. This is obviously a case of a CM who does not know what he is talking about. Besides between the Team Disney Building, Casting Center, Main Gate Office Complx, and various other locations Disney has all the office space they need.

Nicole

I think Disney would do well to complete the Legendary Years as family suites. It seems to me that occupancy levels are up - as I've been browsing around the WDW site there are often resorts that come up as "unavailable" when I type in my fantasy trip dates/plans. Based on my own admittedly unscientific observations it seems like park attendance is doing well (since I've never found a really slow day when I've visited in the past 18 months.)

I'm liking the Harry Potter idea though. ;) jk

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
ISTCNavigator57 said:
I'm sure it will be completed one day...occupancy just needs to rise back to those pre-9/11 levels.
wow, if your figures are correct, it sure seems like the terrorists "temporarily" are still scaring travelers (being 5 years out of 9/11) im sure levels are getting close to being back to pre 9/11.

that is were im staying in sept...... im interested to see the more then life size stuff. lol

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
jmaxwell007 said:
wow, if your figures are correct, it sure seems like the terrorists "temporarily" are still scaring travelers (being 5 years out of 9/11) im sure levels are getting close to being back to pre 9/11.

that is were im staying in sept...... im interested to see the more then life size stuff. lol
Its not just terrorism. High fuel prices, hurricanes, etc....

DisneyWales

80%

I read somewhere that Disney would consider building a new resort/ adding to current resorts once they get close to 80% attendance for the year overall in the current resorts. In their eyes theres no point building more rooms if the onces they have arn't full.

DisneyJill

I think the Value Suites are a terrific idea-there are lots of families with 3 or 4 (or more :eek: ) small children (or not even small, necessarily. Just a large family) that would greatly benefit from staying in one of these. The small kitchenette and the ability to sleep a family of 5-6+ is a much needed on property. My $.02. :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
hakunamatata said:
Its not just terrorism. High fuel prices, hurricanes, etc....
ooohhh, yey. i guess i forget about the hurricane thing since im pretty far off the shore. and as far as the fuel costs...... i dont think they are coming down any farther then they already have so i hope people just start dealing with it. lol

Stormhammer22

I stayed at the Pop Century last March and stayed in the 50's building. I noticed the empty shell of the other resort, and took several pics, but I always wondered why they didn't seem to be doing any work to it.

Epcot82Guy

diverted funds and simple overcosts.

However, I agree that the suites might be the future for that side. I really am wondering if the Allstar suites are merely a test run. If they work, it would make MUCH more sense to build Pop's Legendary years into these since they are mere shells right now and that would not lose All star rooms (which, if memory serves me, do fill up to near-full occupancy quite often due to groups coming through) and kill two birds by finishing the objectively ugly buildings and open the suites with one budget (instead of the two it would take to convet the all stars and then eventually finish Pop). My $0.02 here, so I guess we're up to $0.04! :p

The Legend years

I think they may have bit off more than they can chew with "The legen Years" anyway. How do you make the depression era look cool? :eek: Was there concept art for that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom