Pop Century getting finished???

tirian

BS--- There is zero availability on property for october 7-8 next week.. so, more rooms are needed.

No, it's not. One night means nothing compared to the millions of dollars it takes to construct and staff a resort.

Since I know one of the managers at the Pop, and my information is accurate, I'll break down some of the reasons here:

1) Disney is having a difficult time keeping the current resort positions filled. CMs get bonuses for filling housekeeper positions at Disney. Disney can't finish Pop until they have the staff, and it's more important to staff the existing hotels than to staff one that isn't completely built.

2) After 9/11, Disney realized that the funds needed to go to more important areas around property...DVC memberships that guarantee profitability.

3) It was more cost-efficient to convert All-Star rooms to suites instead of finishing construction at the Pop and converting those rooms--which were not intended to be suites--into the value suites.

4) Regardless of October 7-8, the fact remains that the current Disney rooms are rarely booked solid. It's a wiser business decision to allow a few Guests to stay elsewhere for the few nights that Disney doesn't have occupancy, than to construct an entire hotel that won't be utilizing its capacity the rest of the year.

5) I'm sure that there are plenty more reasons than these that I have listed, but this is all that Disney will officially say. Who knows what decisions were made in the boardroom?

I want to see the resort completed, too; but Disney apparently doesn't care right now.

AUBandPilot

BS--- There is zero availability on property for october 7-8 next week.. so, more rooms are needed.

Not to take sides in this thread......

I'm staying at Pop Century Oct 6-12, so your statement caught my eye. I just made my res last week and at the time was told there was plenty of rooms resort wide. Out of curosity I just tried to book a room (Check in 10/7 Check out 10/9) and found rooms at the following resorts......

Animal Kingdom Lodge
Beach Club Resort
Beach Club Villas
Boardwalk Resort
Contemporary Resort
Fort Wilderness Cabins
Polynesian Resort
Yacht Club Resort
Pop Century
Wilderness Lodge Villas

Go figure?!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My guess is that if the Value Suites are popular, then the unfinished portion of Pop Century will be finished as Value Suites.

BTW, having no rooms available on 2 days in October doesn't mean anything. It's 2 days out of 365.

My wife, mother-in-law and kids tried to extend their stay in June by an extra week. They stayed at ASM and when they tried to extend their stay, the only thing available was a few rooms at the Poly. Every other moderate and value was booked. They ended up borrowing our vacation club points and stayed at SSR.

It happens, more than you think.

Pioneer Hall

The resort will eventually get finished, it will just be a matter of time now until they need the rooms. The part that is open is called the Classic Years and everything references to it (signs, wake up call service, etc). Technically the other half of the resort exists, it just isn't built yet. I am sure they have people who go over and make sure the existing structures are in good shape. Who knows how much work is actually done on the inside of Legendary Hall. I would say that you will probably see the resort done by the end of the decade.

tirian

My wife, mother-in-law and kids tried to extend their stay in June by an extra week. They stayed at ASM and when they tried to extend their stay, the only thing available was a few rooms at the Poly. Every other moderate and value was booked. They ended up borrowing our vacation club points and stayed at SSR.

It happens, more than you think.

You're right, but the matter is a bit more complicated than some of you may realize. First, the Value resorts do fill up much more quickly than the others; but that doesn't necessarily mean that nothing was available for that entire week. The WDW booking engine tries to guarantee the same room for the entire length of stay. Thus, if you're staying seven nights and ten rooms are available only for six nights, the booking engine will tell you that nothing is available. Hence, rooms appear to be booked solid and they're not. :wave:

As I've said before, I agree that the Pop needs to be completed; but I'm just recounting the "Official Disney Reason" that the resort is unfinished.

Who knows? They may be announcing the resort's completion soon. (Don't take that as a hint; it's just speculation.)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You're right, but the matter is a bit more complicated than some of you may realize. First, the Value resorts do fill up much more quickly than the others; but that doesn't necessarily mean that nothing was available for that entire week. The WDW booking engine tries to guarantee the same room for the entire length of stay. Thus, if you're staying seven nights and ten rooms are available only for six nights, the booking engine will tell you that nothing is available. Hence, rooms appear to be booked solid and they're not. :wave:

As I've said before, I agree that the Pop needs to be completed; but I'm just recounting the "Official Disney Reason" that the resort is unfinished.

Who knows? They may be announcing the resort's completion soon. (Don't take that as a hint; it's just speculation.)

You mis-understood. While at WDW, my wife called to try to extend their stay at anyvalue or moderate, in any number of combination of days (i.e., they were willing to resort hop if they had to between any number or combination of value or moderate resorts) and there was nothing availalbe except for the poly room mentioned before.

Here is a funny think you can your friend who is the Manager of the person who picks up the gum of the shoes of the person who is charge of something that must really know alot of something. (How is that for a run on sentence ;) )

What rooms that are able to be booked change from minute to minute. You have to figure all the travel agents in the world (well maybe not all) are able to book Disney resorts. Third party websites (several of them) are able to book. The Disney resvervation center is able to book. People on the Disney world website are able to book. Just take all of that into account that is alot of variable into the equation. So for someone to say they truley know that there is always room or everything is booked solid for a certain time I say BS on both.

I'm sure we can pull up examples of how each side is right in this. But that would go back to variable which are to large.

Will the resort ever be finished? Sure. I think first though the rehab on the Contemp and Poly will be done all the way first....maybe even the DVC wing also of the Contemp.

sabian

I think 9/11 was the reason for the halt on the second phase of pop. But now, i agree, they could easily fill these hotels at the right time of year. I was at POP in July and the entire property was booked solid. I am going back in late Dec. and same thing, totally booked, (save for a few rooms which will be full by then.) So, i wouldn't be surprised to see the second phase being worked on again soon.
People were deathly afraid of flying after sept 11, so that had a major impact on travel. Things have rebounded nicely...

tirian

So for someone to say they truley know that there is always room or everything is booked solid for a certain time I say BS on both.

You're right, which is why (as I said before) I'm only quoting the reason Disney states the resort hasn't been finished, not my personal opinion.

You mis-understood. While at WDW, my wife called to try to extend their stay at anyvalue or moderate, in any number of combination of days (i.e., they were willing to resort hop if they had to between any number or combination of value or moderate resorts) and there was nothing availalbe except for the poly room mentioned before.

Ah, you hadn't mentioned that. Still, I stand by my previous posts that the booking system/CM staffing issue/9/11 tourism slump are still the "official" reasons given to everyone as to why the resort was never finished.

We could go 'round about this all day, but none of our opinions really matter. :lol: The fact is that it's closed--and whether we agree with the "Official Reasoning that Disney Gave to the Folks at the Pop" or not isn't important.

We know that...

a) Disney probably could use the additional rooms, but

b) due to staffing problems, as well as the other issues that I listed before (including the fact that Disney is rarely booked solid and they expect that during Christmas holidays anyway), the company has decided that for the last few years, they didn't need the rooms.

The thread is pretty much worn out. :wave:

EDIT: Response to above post: The Value resorts are always booked solid during July, but I'm referring to all of WDW. I know that I've already gotten flack for saying this, but I live here and I was able to book hotel rooms throughout all of Christmas and New Year's holidays last year. Disney's "Occupancy Available!" sign remained up the entire season, as well. (Yes, the property signs are capable of saying "Closed" or "Full.") True, the only available rooms were at Deluxe resorts, but the point is that rooms were available. You're correct regarding the 9/11 slump; tourism has almost rebounded here and Disney will need those rooms very soon.

lewisc

The resorts are rarely 100% booked. Disney offers complimentary upgrades to a higher resort class in order to balance bookings. In the beginning of the summer a few lucky guests got upgraded to SSR.

Free dining means the value resorts are all but being given away for free. I think bookings would have to be stronger before Disney would consider building the second part of POP.

monorailguy01

pop centry classic years are the building that are already built. The buildings they stopped building after 9-11 are called the legendary years.. those buildings ARE NOT BEING BUILT YET..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom