POP Century and Reduced Availability of "Real Food".....

JerseyDad

Original Poster
....at the food court.

I'm not sure if this is an ongoing issue ....but we were at POP from 8/24 to 9/3. During that time, one of the food "stations" was closed for all of our stay except the last two days. (and only open at breakfast those days) The food station I am referring to is one that I consider to have "real" food ....such as chicken, fish, meatloaf, roast pork, etc. It's also the station that used to have the "Mom's Night Off" ...TV dinner type of dishes. Additionally, advertised items such as the Crab Quesadilla, Veggie Calzone & Salad, Tilapia Sandwich, Salmon Burger were also nowhere to be found. So ...our choices were really narrowed down to a burger assortment, a few sandwiches, flatbreads, and some pasta dishes. I should also add that 1/3rd of the dining room was roped off and not available for seating.

....when the food station WAS opened and I went there ...I said to the counter person, "Where have you been"? I got the finger to the lips "shhhhsh sign" ...as if it's a secret ...and then she told me that they were not supposed to be opened ....because of low-occupancy at POP. (I can concur because the rooms were NOT all filled ...I'd say they were at 85% occupancy).

So my question would be ...just because a resort is not filled to the rafters .....is it proper for them to cut back on food offerings that ...in some cases ...may be a decision making factor as why you might book that resort? (it wasn't a specific reason for us ...though I was looking forward to some of the new menu items ...and ...they had a few different vegetarian options that my daughter might have enjoyed).

The "less than full" occupancy issue was confirmed by at least 3 other cast members there (another at a food station, one at checkout, and the bartender at Petals). And I was told that some of the staff was shifted to AoA to handle the full load there ...because their food court was also drawing diners away from POP.

It's wasn't my poor decision to open another resort that will cannibalize your guests ....but why should I have to deal with less that adequate amenities (including reduced seating areas) because of that decision?

I'm wondering if this issue warrants a letter to Disney corporate? I've never complained ...ever to Disney ...in 11 trips in the past 10 years ...and there were some instances where I definitely could have. It's just that THIS time ...I feel that between the lack of food choices, (and the lack of a fridge in our room) ....that something needs to be said. Or ...am I wrong to expect a fully operating kitchen?

pixiesteno

I think if I were in your shoes I would have to send a written missive to WDW and let them know my feelings on the matter. I know that this would have not set well if it were my husband & I. I am hoping this is not going to be a trend at the resorts. We have stayed several times at ASMu resort and their "real food" station is wonderful, topping the one at Pop hands-down. You probably will receive a response letter from WDW thanking you. However, if people who experience this lack of service don't say to the resort "hey, we did not like this" then it will probably happen more frequently. Perhaps management and the chef should step up their game if they are noticing a reduction in dining due to AOA rather than closing stations. Sorry that your stay was less than stellar.

JerseyDad

Original Poster
I think if I were in your shoes I would have to send a written missive to WDW and let them know my feelings on the matter. I know that this would have not set well if it were my husband & I. I am hoping this is not going to be a trend at the resorts. We have stayed several times at ASMu resort and their "real food" station is wonderful, topping the one at Pop hands-down. You probably will receive a response letter from WDW thanking you. However, if people who experience this lack of service don't say to the resort "hey, we did not like this" then it will probably happen more frequently. Perhaps management and the chef should step up their game if they are noticing a reduction in dining due to AOA rather than closing stations. Sorry that your stay was less than stellar.

....well ...I'm in the midst of penning a letter to them now. I had to gather up all my facts and dates before I sent anything to them. Mind you ...this is not an "angry" letter ...but one that's more along the lines of utter disappointment. We've been going to POP since shortly after they opened ...and have had some great times there. However ...beginning last year we noticed many things that started to 'slip' ....and this year the disappointments started the second we checked in. The front-desk was absolutely rude and disinterested in any of our requests and had none of the "we'll see if we can make it happen" spirit that we were used to, .....they gave us 'attitude' regarding the missing fridge in the room and the room credit that we were entitled to ...and the ongoing food court issues just topped everything off. I suppose that it might be expecting too much to have hoped to be treated like a "loyal returning customer" ......but that's the way it was in trips 2 thru 10.

....it was the first trip to WDW where I left with a sense of disappointment, and an agenda of things to about.

luv

I know that "Mom's Night Off" line, over on the right. I stood in that a lot when I stayed there. I'd have been disappointed, too.

You could write to Disney, but you might as well go bang your head on your driveway. When they made the decision to close it, they knew some people would be disappointed. They still closed it.

Disney doesn't care AT ALL about repeat business. I stayed in their hotels many, many times and was never rewarded. They never even said, "Hey, you've stayed here a lot and we appreciate it!" The only thing they did was cut back on AP room discounts. I wised up eventually.

You can do much, much better offsite! :)

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

I would have asked for the food court manager, or walked to the front desk and asked to speak to the resort manager to lodge my complaint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom