Poor selection of attractions on "Wildcard" fast pass?

cdd89

Original Poster
I was at Epcot a couple of days ago (had a great day, by the way!). I really wanted to do Test Track with my friend who was only coming for a day, but Test Track went down (I wasn't too upset about that... It happens). The "replacement" FP+ was for Test Track when it reopened (which clearly wasn't going to happen given the weather forecast), or a number of attractions with no line at all. (Not Soarin').

I ended up going to Guest Relations (more for my friend's sake than mine, since I'd be back before too long anyway -and also (sacrilegiously) I don't care too much for Soarin' anyway, so it was no great loss!), and they agreed to add Soarin' as a replacement with no problems. (Worth noting that FP+ distribution for Soarin' had ended long ago).

I felt pretty badly about it afterwards... It doesn't seem fair that I basically got no utility out of the fastpass service and no Tier 1 replacement (and the CM at Guest Relations obviously agreed). But then, if everyone who was denied their Test Track fast pass was offered Soarin', they wouldn't be able to handle the lines. Ultimately, the problem is Disney's for having parks with a serious lack of E-Ticket attractions to soak up redemption FPs (I.e. both parks with tiering), but I was still left with a slightly uncomfortable feeling of a system that rewards those who complain, etc.

I just wondered what others' thoughts were on this. When the same happened to me (with Test Track) a couple of years ago, it was with the paper fastpass system - and I wouldn't have dreamed of going and complaining. I think I was motivated by the annoyance of being tied down to one Tier 1 attraction which was then taken away with no replacement. But I'm interested in others' thoughts!

Kosmo1986

This is kind of why EPCOT is my least favorite Park. If using your fastpasses you can only get 1 of the e-ticket rides (I am not waiting 90 minutes for the other) and other than jumping on Imagination (never needs a fast pass) and spaceship earth (sometimes needs a fastpass) there is nothing else really worth the time. I love walking the countries and the soda and club cool but the park as a whole just doesn't do it for me.

What funny is my all time favorite is HS! I know most people think there is nothing to do, but there are great rides (ToT, RoRc, TSM, ST) and great shows and I LOVE drawing at the animation academy

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As you said, the problem is really with the park and not the FP+ system. Epcot only has 3 attractions that most would consider E-tickets. When one goes 101, you simply can't send everyone from one to the other.

The only way to fix that is to add more E-ticket style attractions and expand the capacity of the existing ones. So far, only one of those two are being done.

Last edited:

Kosmo1986

I guess we will see, so far the only thing being done at this park is Frozen, and possibly a 3rd screen for soarin', which could make it easier to get on the ride.

I think the only really big expansions we are going to see in the next few years will be at AK (avatar, more resturants and nighttime activities) and HS (Pixar playland and Starwars)

Figmentation

Yeah. With Epcot being the park that isn't really a 'ride' park. Their have 3 major attractions - Mission: Space, Soarin, and Test Track.

Though in a lot of peoples eyes, Test Track and Soarin are the two to get fastpasses for due to its long load times (Affecting both attractions) and low capacity (Test Track Specifically). The lines are super long. Then there is the fact that Test Track shuts down 4-5 times a day, or not even open at all when it rains.

Mission: Space doesn't have this issue because it can load lots of people quickly and can hold quite a few people. So the lines are not that bad (even on busy days)

So fast passes are not needed for that attraction in most cases. And as mentioned before, if one goes down they can't throw everyone over to the other because of the fact the lines are so unbearable. It'll be make them worse if 1000+ people got moved over to the other working ride.

And sadly there is no way around this until more high tier attractions are put into Epcot. It's sad to say but.. the new Frozen attraction will probably help with this issue (Despite peoples complaints about it).

ULPO46

Amazing how the little rides and shows now have Fastpass lanes. Seriously, is there a need for a FP+ Line for Aladdin's Flying Carpets or to see a show? What is the big deal with that. They are the pointless attractions added to your FP+ Tickets.

cdd89

Original Poster
Interesting responses! As it happens, Epcot is my favourite park despite it not being full of "E-Tickets" (which are the only things that need FP+). I'm not even sure it needs new big-budget attractions (Hollywood Studios seems in more need, just because of the type of park it is) - but it does make a mockery of Fastpass+.

One thing they could (surely) do is offer up a FP+ to E-Tickets at other parks, to those with park hopper tickets? That wouldn't overwhelm the other attractions, and it would surely increase guest satisfaction.

Or they could stick with their current system of giving Soarin' FP+s to those who actually complain, which obviously works (since not that many people will), but isn't very fair.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Amazing how the little rides and shows now have Fastpass lanes. Seriously, is there a need for a FP+ Line for Aladdin's Flying Carpets or to see a show? What is the big deal with that. They are the pointless attractions added to your FP+ Tickets.
Because 90% of the people that walk through the gates of a Disney park do not know that and having them on the FP+ list lets Disney better disperse crowds around the parks.

Jahona

One thing they could (surely) do is offer up a FP+ to E-Tickets at other parks, to those with park hopper tickets? That wouldn't overwhelm the other attractions, and it would surely increase guest satisfaction.

I think the issue here is that they can't just offer other parks e-ticket FP to everyone if one of EPCOT's goes down due to single day tickets. Also I wonder what the statistics are of people purchasing park hopper options vs standard tickets.

CaptainAmerica

This is kind of why EPCOT is my least favorite Park. If using your fastpasses you can only get 1 of the e-ticket rides (I am not waiting 90 minutes for the other) and other than jumping on Imagination (never needs a fast pass) and spaceship earth (sometimes needs a fastpass) there is nothing else really worth the time. I love walking the countries and the soda and club cool but the park as a whole just doesn't do it for me.

What funny is my all time favorite is HS! I know most people think there is nothing to do, but there are great rides (ToT, RoRc, TSM, ST) and great shows and I LOVE drawing at the animation academy
If you get there when the park opens, you can easily ride one with no wait while saving your Fastpass for the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom