Polynesian Pool not closing in August after all ?

Boomeruk

Original Poster
Hi,

Like a number of people on the forum I have a booking for August this year at the Polynesian and have been rather concerned about the lack of information about the construction taking place and what impact it will have on guests. I was especially concerned about the closing of the main pool (which seems to be from August onward according to various sources on the internet) as my daughter adores it. So I rang up Disney (in the UK 0800 169 0732 ) to complain and have been told categorically that this is "old information from last year" and the pool will definitely be open and that he had been getting a lot of calls on this recently.

Now of course this guy may well not be privy to what the real plans are and is just saying what his supervisor is telling him to not matter what the truth may be but I thought I'd share what I've been told.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hi,

Like a number of people on the forum I have a booking for August this year at the Polynesian and have been rather concerned about the lack of information about the construction taking place and what impact it will have on guests. I was especially concerned about the closing of the main pool (which seems to be from August onward according to various sources on the internet) as my daughter adores it. So I rang up Disney (in the UK 0800 169 0732 ) to complain and have been told categorically that this is "old information from last year" and the pool will definitely be open and that he had been getting a lot of calls on this recently.

Now of course this guy may well not be privy to what the real plans are and is just saying what his supervisor is telling him to not matter what the truth may be but I thought I'd share what I've been told.
It is not old information, it's very fresh. Unless things change, plan as of now is to close the pool from August.

jlsHouston

I think you had better plan on the pool being closed. They have a major refurb going on. That pool is fixing to close down this summer. This is what I would do because it worked for us last summer when no pool refurb was going on. We stayed our last 5 days of our 2 week WDW vacation at the POLY. We had previously been at the BWI. My friend made the comment to a CM she wondered where the hot tub was for the POLY and was told there wasn't one. When she expressed disappointment, the CM told us we could go to the GF and use the pool and hot tub at that resort and if anyone asked he wrote his name for us on a card to give to any CM at the GF.
I have to tell you, we love the pool at the POLY ...but the pool and slide at the GF is pretty awesome as is the hot tub.
If you are still going to stay at the POLY even with all the construction I would ask for a 35% room discount and I would insist you get pool privileges at either GF or CONT.

TJDinMA

Hello, I call and acquired about a room discount and was told a No. I was told all of the travelers are paying the same thing and there was no need to give us a discount. They were willing to book us at a another resort. I am very disappointed. Staying at the Poly is a once in lifetime for us and we will probably end of canceling the trip because of the pool situation.

I think you had better plan on the pool being closed. They have a major refurb going on. That pool is fixing to close down this summer. This is what I would do because it worked for us last summer when no pool refurb was going on. We stayed our last 5 days of our 2 week WDW vacation at the POLY. We had previously been at the BWI. My friend made the comment to a CM she wondered where the hot tub was for the POLY and was told there wasn't one. When she expressed disappointment, the CM told us we could go to the GF and use the pool and hot tub at that resort and if anyone asked he wrote his name for us on a card to give to any CM at the GF.
I have to tell you, we love the pool at the POLY ...but the pool and slide at the GF is pretty awesome as is the hot tub.
If you are still going to stay at the POLY even with all the construction I would ask for a 35% room discount and I would insist you get pool privileges at either GF or CONT.

jlsHouston

Hello, I call and acquired about a room discount and was told a No. I was told all of the travelers are paying the same thing and there was no need to give us a discount. They were willing to book us at a another resort. I am very disappointed. Staying at the Poly is a once in lifetime for us and we will probably end of canceling the trip because of the pool situation.

Well that is crap. I would email Disney Destinations. I don't know what your rate is but those rates are usually discounted at the deluxe resorts pretty heavily anyways that time of year (still higher than heck but it's about as cheap as they get in August).
On the other hand if you think you can handle the construction mess maybe just hang with it and use the pools at the CONT and GF. The GF pool is really nice.
I've managed to swing 2 stays at the POLY and I am so glad I got in before this revamp and dvc build out because I loved the POLY the first moment I walked into that lobby for an ADR at Ohana my first trip to WDW.. I know alot of people talking about it being dated...and the lobby small but it is a very peaceful happy resort and the rooms are large and it is just laid out so nicely and has the best parking of all the resorts and I usually have a car so I really like that aspect.
Before you do anything rash and blow off a once in a lifetime visit, maybe look on @tikiman info that he has shared about the schedule and also what may be a good longhouse to request for a room. I always have gotten 3rd floor Samoa facing the Volcano pool and loved my room. Also if you do go ahead and keep the reservation when you arrive if after the first 24 hours you are miserable then go to the front desk and very nicely but firmly tell them you are unhappy at the happiest place on earth. I would think they would do something at that point to accommodate you.
I can't say whether you should stay with the POLY or not. I personally wouldn't because I know how I am about being inconvenienced but plenty of people are booking stays there during the construction so you know it is what you can tolerate. That pool at the POLY while nice is not the best pool for a deluxe resort. If y'all like great pools, the one at the BWI is great and the pool bar is really nice. And once again I will vouch for the GF pools. VERY VERY nice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom