Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge?

MissyA

First, thanks for all the great information on my vegetarian meal question. Searched the various restaurants that were suggested and have a great plan in place.
We have booked the Polynesian for the end of July and are now wondering if we might be better to switch to Wilderness Lodge, with Quick Service Dining. If we keep the Poly reservation it will be without the dining plan. The costs are about the same either way. Staying at Polynesian would be great but is WL with dining a better option? We usually spend some time at the resorts as well as the parks. Of course if Disney has a discount for mid summer or free dining then the Polynesian it will be.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
It just depends on how much you want to spend. If you're worried about going as cheap as possible, then go with the cheaper option (WL). Are you planning to do any TS meals at all, or just CS? Most of the time the DP is not really going to save you money vs. paying out of pocket, so it just depends on your preference for resort. You can use this spreadsheet to calculate how much the meals you have planned will cost OOP vs the cost of the DP.

http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon#!dining-plan-calculator/cxc0

Upvote 0

MissyA

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. We plan on doing 2 or 3 TS meals, Ohana's for breakfast and Via Napoli for dinner are already booked. Most of the time we will do the QS wherever we are. If it isn't going to make a big difference in savings for meals then we just need to decide on whether to keep the Poly Garden View or go with Wilderness Lodge Courtyard view.

Upvote 0

KeithVH

Hmmm, my prior post disappeared -

Look at it this way. It's a choice betwen savings just a few dollars on CS-quality food versus the convenience of the monorail, launch, and a quick walk to the TTC. I would also say the ambience of the Poly is better than WL. if you really want better/more varied transport options, Poly is the way to go.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Both resorts are wonderful, so there is no "wrong" choice, but only you can decide the best "fit" for your party.

Poly has the edge for transportation convenience with the monorail to both MK and Epcot. The rooms are larger and sleep 5 (even if you don't use the futon for sleeping, it is nice to have someplace other than the bed to sit on.) The quiet pool is larger than the WL Villas pool and has more chairs. The music for Wishes is piped onto the Poly Beach so you can watch the fireworks without being crowded in the MK.

WL has completed room refurbishments so all the rooms are fresh and updated. The lobby is magnificent and there are many couches, chairs and nooks to sit and relax in (most buildings in the Poly do not have lounge areas.) If it is raining, everything is in one building (room, food, gift store) so you stay dry! The sink area is outside the bathroom (a plus when trying to get ready in the morning.) Roaring Fork, the quick-serve location, offers more American fare than Captain Cooks at the Poly, which has an "island" flair.

Both resorts have a main pool with a slide and offer children's activities. Both resorts share buses to theme parks and DTD. Both have exceptional cast members willing to help with whatever you need.

So are you more a South Seas Island-type who enjoys a tropical theme, or a rustic, outdoorsy-woods type who enjoys nature?

Upvote 0

bethymouse

We were a tad bit disappointed in the Poly the last time.:( They were doing the "refurb" of the longhouse I wanted.:( All of us were stuck down by Figi, but it wasn't too bad.;) The convenience of the monorail is what I like and 'Ohana.
But, if you like MK, then WL is great because of the boat launch. I guess WL does feel a bit more like "home".
Both pools are about the same. The grounds are beautiful at both. The beach is nice at both, especially watching Wishes @ Poly from the beach.:D
I guess I'd choose Poly, if not for the Dole Whip and Kona Cafe and the Kona coffee.;)

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

It may depend on the configuration of your party. Things like the Poly volcano pool, the beach, the view of the Castle, and the proximity of the Monorail and TTC/Ferry may be attractive to your group. The WL has great offerings as well but a different, slightly more cloistered, if none-the-less connected to everything, feeling to it. Food choices, as aforementioned, also may be determinative.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom