Polynesian DVC Disappointment

DougK

Original Poster
We just returned from our second DVC stay at the Polynesian Village Resort and I must say once again I was disappointed with one particular but to me major thing. For the second time we spent the extra points for a “lake view” room. Let me interrupt myself briefly and add that I do not understand why DVC calls these rooms “lake view”. There is no lake in front of the Polynesian resort, however there is a lagoon. It is a man-made lagoon. It was dug out by Disney in 1970 and 1971. It is named the Seven Seas Lagoon, not the Seven Seas Lake. But yet everywhere you look on any official DVC charts the rooms are referred to as “lake view”. I wish DVC knew the history of this resort better than I do. But I digress.

As I said this is the second time we have spent extra points for a lagoon view room. It is also the second time we have requested the third floor. It is also the second time we have not gotten the third floor. I requested the third floor so our view would be of the water (whether they call it a lagoon or a lake, it is still water). We are paying to see the water not the bungalows. So there we were on the first floor staring right at the bungalows. Now you have to understand that we used to stay in this exact building (it was called Tahiti then, now it’s called Moorea) back before DVC took it over. Every time we stayed there I requested the third floor and every time we were granted that request. At the time of course there were no bungalows to deal with but still we liked the higher floor and those trips were very special to my wife and me. This is why we were so excited when DVC took over that part of the Polynesian Resort, we thought we could continue to get our favorite view but use points instead of cash to book it.

I want to explain that when we were assigned the first floor room we of course asked to be moved to a higher floor. We were told there was no availability. I said how about tomorrow? We had booked a five night stay and we were actually willing to move after the first night to get the higher floor for the rest of the trip. The person at the front desk explained requests are not guaranteed but he made a few phone calls and pushed quite a few buttons on his keyboard. Then like magic he said “sorry nothing is available”. Well it wasn’t exactly magical but you get the idea. So I said we will move ANY of the upcoming four nights, even the last one, and once again he sprinkled his pixie dust…and said no. Now I find it hard to believe that NOBODY was moving out of any of the third floor rooms over the next few nights. I began to wonder if the requests not being guaranteed applied only to us because Disney apparently decided they could not move anyone else to accommodate our request.

So here is my point. I understand that due to the bungalows blocking the view of the lagoon many people may be requesting the higher second and third floors in Moorea. And I also understand that all requests may not be able to be filled. But assuming that approximately 1/3 of the rooms are on the first floor that means 2/3 of the lagoon facing rooms are on the higher floors. Now this is where I am at a disadvantage, I have no way of knowing the numbers. Only Disney knows how many requests they get. And I am sure some people actually request the first floor so you would think it would even out a bit. However if Disney is really getting more than 66% of room requests for the higher floors then they must be disappointing a lot of people. I think it would only make sense to adjust the points chart accordingly if that many people are requesting a higher floor. It would seem logical in that case to charge more points to guarantee the higher floor view. But I have to say I really doubt this is the case. I think they just didn’t want to bother accommodating us even after we made it clear at the front desk that this room request was really important to us.

Just to be fair I will say that we were able to see the fireworks from our patio but what made me the maddest was when the Electric Water Pageant came by at 9:00. We could hear it, but we couldn’t see it. The bungalows blocked it. Now I do understand we could have walked down towards the west side of the resort to see the water pageant but that is not the point. The point is we paid a premium to have a water view and it was awfully disappointing not to have it. Disney is expensive, points are expensive, I hate to waste them. I am not going to say it completely ruined our trip but I will say we were really disenchanted this time.

wdwfan100

I can relate to what you are saying. I keep going back to the fact that Disney considers DVC owners as members and not guests. We are guaranteed return visitors. It is an important distinction that I have been noticing more and more.

DougK

Original Poster
I can relate to what you are saying. I keep going back to the fact that Disney considers DVC owners as members and not guests. We are guaranteed return visitors. It is an important distinction that I have been noticing more and more.

Yes I agree.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm surprised they don't just make the simple solution of creating a third rate level. Standard-view, lake-view, and people-view, where you can watch other people making magic in their bungalow.
They most likely will. They did something similar over at the AKL where there were a section of Savannah view rooms that had pretty poor Savannah view. They were changed to standard view rooms after numerous complaints.

Stryker

First stay at the Poly ever, October 23-31, DVC Villas, Moorea lake view, requested 3rd floor, got the 2nd floor. We actually enjoyed seeing the bungalows, no problem with fireworks viewing. I always prefer to watch the EWP from the beach no matter which resort I watch from so not a problem for me. The resort seemed very busy/full. Enjoyed the entire experience, loved the location and wouldn't hesitate to go back. BLT is our home resort and we have also stayed at OKW and AKL - Kidani and always done well with having our requests filled/met. I would expect that most DVC folks are more seasoned WDW travelers and as such I wouldn't be surprised the percentage of guests that actually make requests is pretty high.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We are members at BLT and I'm pretty hardcore about trying to get the highest room possible. I love my MK view and Disney has always been able to honor it. I think it is probably much easier to do it at BLT since there are so many rooms with that view and Polynesian is relatively small. Also, out of curiosity, were you traveling with another party that had a room near you? Disney has told me that they always put people in "blocks" in their computers and it's hard for them to maneuver around it. We usually take a family member with us to babysit so we can still enjoy the parks while the kids sleep and go to dinners and things like that and they usually like to have the lowest room possible and I usually have to go to the front desk to make sure they don't put us next to them. I feel like that is totally fair given how much we go and how much we spend there and how much we spent just to get IN the DVC in the fist place. They have always been very accommodating for us. Hopefully, next time you get the room you want.

DougK

Original Poster
First stay at the Poly ever, October 23-31, DVC Villas, Moorea lake view, requested 3rd floor, got the 2nd floor. We actually enjoyed seeing the bungalows, no problem with fireworks viewing. I always prefer to watch the EWP from the beach no matter which resort I watch from so not a problem for me. The resort seemed very busy/full. Enjoyed the entire experience, loved the location and wouldn't hesitate to go back. BLT is our home resort and we have also stayed at OKW and AKL - Kidani and always done well with having our requests filled/met. I would expect that most DVC folks are more seasoned WDW travelers and as such I wouldn't be surprised the percentage of guests that actually make requests is pretty high.

I am glad you were happy with your view. I can tell you the 2nd floor view is much better than the 1st, unless you LIKE looking at bungalows that is!

DougK

Original Poster
We are members at BLT and I'm pretty hardcore about trying to get the highest room possible. I love my MK view and Disney has always been able to honor it. I think it is probably much easier to do it at BLT since there are so many rooms with that view and Polynesian is relatively small. Also, out of curiosity, were you traveling with another party that had a room near you? Disney has told me that they always put people in "blocks" in their computers and it's hard for them to maneuver around it. We usually take a family member with us to babysit so we can still enjoy the parks while the kids sleep and go to dinners and things like that and they usually like to have the lowest room possible and I usually have to go to the front desk to make sure they don't put us next to them. I feel like that is totally fair given how much we go and how much we spend there and how much we spent just to get IN the DVC in the fist place. They have always been very accommodating for us. Hopefully, next time you get the room you want.

I'm glad they accommodated you, I wish they would have done the same for us. We were not traveling with another party.

Once again I just want to say to everyone on here that I understand room requests are not guaranteed. I am just saying if Disney is getting more of a specific request on a consistent basis (in this case, higher floor) than they can handle they should change the booking categories so that the consistently requested view is bookable. And if they are not getting too many requests of that type then they should accommodate the ones who request it.

bubster

So sorry you have been disappointed.

I do know that there are 360 DVC studios/villas at the Poly. 72 of them are considered lake view. The odds of you being able to have your request filled consistently are kind of slim, especially at busy times. We stayed at the Poly for the very first time in September for 2 nights but booked a standard view. I always request an upper floor wherever we stay and as luck would have it we got Tokelau 3rd floor at the very end of the building near the bungalows. Our room didn't face the bungalows but we could stand at the end of our balcony and see the castle and fireworks perfectly. I doubt we will ever get this lucky again.

I completely agree with you about looking out at the bungalows and think it's ridiculous that they charge so many more points for that view if you are on the ground floor. Maybe they should only call the 3rd floor lake view but then your odds of getting one of those rooms will shrink drastically.

Hope you have a better experience in the future.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A lagoon is a water body that is formed near coastal areas. It is shallow and has a small link with sea or the ocean though it is also separated from the ocean water with reefs or a low sandbank.

A lake is a still water body surrounded by land from all sides except a side where it is fed by a river, stream or any other moving body of water

So its just marketing, nothing to do with reality.

DisneyFans4Life

What I've never understood is why we're unable to book a specific room at the time of booking.

We're staying at AoA at the end of March and I booked the room about 6 weeks ago. I had to call and put in a request for a room with a king bed, and there's still not a guarantee that we'll get it. Any other hotel and you select the actual room type that you want at the time of booking (beach view with king bed for example). Granted a room with a king bed is generally more expensive, but why can't Disney do the same? They allow you to pick the room type as far as view goes...but not the bed type.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What I've never understood is why we're unable to book a specific room at the time of booking.

We're staying at AoA at the end of March and I booked the room about 6 weeks ago. I had to call and put in a request for a room with a king bed, and there's still not a guarantee that we'll get it. Any other hotel and you select the actual room type that you want at the time of booking (beach view with king bed for example). Granted a room with a king bed is generally more expensive, but why can't Disney do the same? They allow you to pick the room type as far as view goes...but not the bed type.
Disney does exactly that when the demand is there and it outweighs the operational needs of the resort.

King Bed rooms are a bookable category at the moderates because the demand is there and parties of 2 are a fairly common thing.

That is not the case at the values. Parties of 3 or more are the overwhelming majority at the value resorts and while they do have king bed rooms, they are set up as the handicap accessible rooms.

DisneyFans4Life

Disney does exactly that when the demand is there and it outweighs the operational needs of the resort.

King Bed rooms are a bookable category at the moderates because the demand is there and parties of 2 are a fairly common thing.

That is not the case at the values. Parties of 3 or more are the overwhelming majority at the value resorts and while they do have king bed rooms, they are set up as the handicap accessible rooms.
IMO, if a king bed is something that the hotel offers (whether it's a value, moderate, etc), it should be bookable...especially if you're booking 180 days out. I'm not too worried about not getting a king bed when we go in March, but if we don't, I'll be a bit annoyed (but then quikcly get over it because we're at Disney after all).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Disney pretty much classifies any view that can see water (even just a canal) as "water view". Since the bungalows have space in-between them, you can see a slice of water. Is it right? Of course not. They should be reclassified as standard view, and Disney might if they get enough complaints. They have done that at other resorts, most notably changing some of the BLT rooms from MK or lake view to standard when it was obvious that the view was substandard.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
IMO, if a king bed is something that the hotel offers (whether it's a value, moderate, etc), it should be bookable...especially if you're booking 180 days out. I'm not too worried about not getting a king bed when we go in March, but if we don't, I'll be a bit annoyed (but then quikcly get over it because we're at Disney after all).
A king bed is not something that value resorts really offer. As I understand it, it is necessary to make the room ADA compliant. You could see where they could run into a problem if they were offered up on a first come, first served basis.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'm glad they accommodated you, I wish they would have done the same for us. We were not traveling with another party.

Once again I just want to say to everyone on here that I understand room requests are not guaranteed. I am just saying if Disney is getting more of a specific request on a consistent basis (in this case, higher floor) than they can handle they should change the booking categories so that the consistently requested view is bookable. And if they are not getting too many requests of that type then they should accommodate the ones who request it.

They did that at Old Key West--"near the Hospitality House" is now a bookable room category.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They did that at Old Key West--"near the Hospitality House" is now a bookable room category.
Good point. We booked that category several years ago during our first stay there. Very convenient.

They could do other booking categories at the different resorts, but it can become cumbersome to manage, and what kind of categories could they offer? Near a elevator, maybe? Except, how "near" is "near"? You might ask 10 people and get 10 different answers, so I can kinda understand why they don't do it more often.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom