Polynesian Buildings

adamcav

Staying at the Polynesian next month and I'd like to put a request in for a certain building. Problem is, I'm not sure which building I should request.

We will be staying in two rooms, standard view.

Are there any buildings that are newer in as much as "more updated" than others? Or updated/refurbed more recently, that might 'feel' newer?

If not, what is everyone's favorite? :)

adamcav

Original Poster
Whats Rapa Nui like? Steve, on your site you have down it the rooms were to be refurbed in 2011 - did that ever happen?

Either way I think I'm leaning Tokelau, which I understand was refurbed in 2010 I think.

Upvote 0

tikiman

Whats Rapa Nui like? Steve, on your site you have down it the rooms were to be refurbed in 2011 - did that ever happen?

Either way I think I'm leaning Tokelau, which I understand was refurbed in 2010 I think.

I could not get varification that the other buildings were done but I am guessing they were. Yes Tokelau was done at the end of 2010 with replacing damaged hardgoods.

I stayed in Rapa Nui and it was nice. Right next to the parking lot and close to the bus stop and TTC. About a 3 minute walk to the GCH. The problem is that if you request Rapa Nui you could end up facing the parking lot but if you saw one of the rooms facing the gardens was available when you checked in, its not a bad location. About the same as Tahiti garden but the rooms seem to be in better shape and Rapa Nui does not have the electrical and drainage problems Tahiti has.

Upvote 0

mrerk

Premium Member
Sounds like the clear preference is Tokelau. That would get us closer to the GCH, and if we ended up in the right area of the building we might get a view of the lagoon. Is Poly known for offering upgrades based on availability?

It does happen. We had booked a theme park view and ended up in Tuvalu. My sister booked garden view and ended up two doors down from us with a theme park view. I was really surprised because it was just before the 4th of July.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Wanted to chime in that I loved staying at Rapa Nui. I thought the rooms were great, and I loved the proximity to TTC. My favorite part of it was the privacy & quietness of it. DH & I spent our honeymoon there, and thought it was perfect!

Upvote 0

BrerMouse

Just my two cents... Definitely would have to recommend Taheti or however you spell it. The ease of getting on the monorail at the TTC going to EPCOT or MK by far outweighs the distance to the GCH in my opinion. If your going to be spending the majority of your time at EPCOT I would have to say that is the way to go. :wave:

Upvote 0

worldtraveler

I've got to go with Tahiti as well. I just loved how close it was to the TTC. We would just jump on the monorail there to head over to the MK and EPCOT. Just my 2 cents

Upvote 0

dave&di

I could not get varification that the other buildings were done but I am guessing they were. Yes Tokelau was done at the end of 2010 with replacing damaged hardgoods.

I stayed in Rapa Nui and it was nice. Right next to the parking lot and close to the bus stop and TTC. About a 3 minute walk to the GCH. The problem is that if you request Rapa Nui you could end up facing the parking lot but if you saw one of the rooms facing the gardens was available when you checked in, its not a bad location. About the same as Tahiti garden but the rooms seem to be in better shape and Rapa Nui does not have the electrical and drainage problems Tahiti has.

I stayed in both Tahiti and Rapa Nui last year, we were given Rapa Nui when we checked in although we wanted to upgrade to a lagoon view, no rooms were available, we managed to move to Tahiti 3 days later.

Both rooms were in good shape, I can't say one looked better than another! The garden view from Napa Rui was pleasant enough.

Upvote 0

tikiman

I stayed in both Tahiti and Rapa Nui last year, we were given Rapa Nui when we checked in although we wanted to upgrade to a lagoon view, no rooms were available, we managed to move to Tahiti 3 days later.

Both rooms were in good shape, I can't say one looked better than another! The garden view from Napa Rui was pleasant enough.

I have stayed in Tahiti twice (well technically it was called Moorea the first time I stayed in it) and I have always liked it for the lagoon side. I don’t find the walk very far to things but I know my way around the winding paths. I have actually had to guide people through the Polynesian on 3 occasions because they were lost…haha

I was surprised how much I liked my room in Rapa Nui because before I stayed in it I did not rank it very high. I think I like the garden views there a little better than Tahiti just because Tahiti is a little close to the path and many rooms are a little to overgrown with plants. I get more reports of rooms with problems from Tahiti than any other building and even maintenance said they have many problems with Tahiti. That does not mean there are not some great rooms in that building. I love the lagoon side of Tahiti with no path going past the rooms, all that grass and a nice private beach.

Upvote 0

dave&di

I have stayed in Tahiti twice (well technically it was called Moorea the first time I stayed in it) and I have always liked it for the lagoon side. I don’t find the walk very far to things but I know my way around the winding paths. I have actually had to guide people through the Polynesian on 3 occasions because they were lost…haha

I was surprised how much I liked my room in Rapa Nui because before I stayed in it I did not rank it very high. I think I like the garden views there a little better than Tahiti just because Tahiti is a little close to the path and many rooms are a little to overgrown with plants. I get more reports of rooms with problems from Tahiti than any other building and even maintenance said they have many problems with Tahiti. That does not mean there are not some great rooms in that building. I love the lagoon side of Tahiti with no path going past the rooms, all that grass and a nice private beach.

The only negetive I can think of in our Tahiti room was cobwebs inside and outside! But thats housekeeping not maintenance. The only reason we request Tahiti is for the beach and lagoon view! I became obsessed with watching the ferry boats load and unload!

P.s Love your site, can we please have smellievision of the GCH to go with the music please! But not the smell of the lamps! Thankyou.

Upvote 0

tikiman

[/B]

The only negetive I can think of in our Tahiti room was cobwebs inside and outside! But thats housekeeping not maintenance. The only reason we request Tahiti is for the beach and lagoon view! I became obsessed with watching the ferry boats load and unload!

P.s Love your site, can we please have smellievision of the GCH to go with the music please! But not the smell of the lamps! Thankyou.

I just want to smell the meat cooking at 'Ohana :)

Upvote 0

Polydweller

I pretty much would have written the same things, including the lost people. Its actually pretty hard to get lost since basically everything runs east-west and the Polynesian is much smaller than most people seem to think.

Haven't stayed in Rapa Nui, one of the few. Tahiti on the lagoon side is great with no walkway in front. Not as partial to the garden side because the trees seem to crowd the building for me.

I'd heard similar comments from maintenance but would add as perspective, that in our 20+ building hospital that I was IT manager at and within the hotel consortium I have been part of, there was always 1 or 2 buildings that just were bigger maintenance problems for some reason, even if they were newer. No discernible reason but if an hvac unit went it was likely in that building.

That said, have always enjoy stays in Tahiti and it's a good choice.

Upvote 0

tikiman

I pretty much would have written the same things, including the lost people. Its actually pretty hard to get lost since basically everything runs east-west and the Polynesian is much smaller than most people seem to think.

Haven't stayed in Rapa Nui, one of the few. Tahiti on the lagoon side is great with no walkway in front. Not as partial to the garden side because the trees seem to crowd the building for me.

I'd heard similar comments from maintenance but would add as perspective, that in our 20+ building hospital that I was IT manager at and within the hotel consortium I have been part of, there was always 1 or 2 buildings that just were bigger maintenance problems for some reason, even if they were newer. No discernible reason but if an hvac unit went it was likely in that building.

That said, have always enjoy stays in Tahiti and it's a good choice.

I agree that the resort is not as big as some make it sound. That is why my pages show time studies on walk times from buildings to locations around the resort. Many times I have walked the resort and timed it and from past the Luau to the path to the TTC takes no longer than 8 minutes and that was following someone very slow with a stroller. Most buildings to the GCH are no more than 2 or 3 minute walk and some are less than a minute walk.

Tahiti was the newest building built if you can call 26 years new and it seems to have electrical problems often as well as moisture problems. It has even flooded a few rooms because of how it sits and where it is in the slope of the resort, usually the flooding is in the garden side ground floor rooms. It also seemed to get the least attention for some reason when it comes to the room redesigns. When they did the new design in 2005 it was not until 2007 or even 2008 that they got all the pieces for the rooms. For years they had the new TVs and beds and most of the furniture but it still had the old bamboo headboards, old leaf mirrors and a few other accents. Even the new room numbers on the doors were pieced together (very bad job of it) because the new room numbers were not in. No one could tell me why it was so hard to get all the new stuff in for Tahiti. I think they ran out of budget and did not want to spend the money that year so they moved it into another year but that is a guess on my part.

Upvote 0

Communicore

I agree that the resort is not as big as some make it sound. That is why my pages show time studies on walk times from buildings to locations around the resort. Many times I have walked the resort and timed it and from past the Luau to the path to the TTC takes no longer than 8 minutes and that was following someone very slow with a stroller. Most buildings to the GCH are no more than 2 or 3 minute walk and some are less than a minute walk.

Tahiti was the newest building built if you can call 26 years new and it seems to have electrical problems often as well as moisture problems. It has even flooded a few rooms because of how it sits and where it is in the slope of the resort, usually the flooding is in the garden side ground floor rooms. It also seemed to get the least attention for some reason when it comes to the room redesigns. When they did the new design in 2005 it was not until 2007 or even 2008 that they got all the pieces for the rooms. For years they had the new TVs and beds and most of the furniture but it still had the old bamboo headboards, old leaf mirrors and a few other accents. Even the new room numbers on the doors were pieced together (very bad job of it) because the new room numbers were not in. No one could tell me why it was so hard to get all the new stuff in for Tahiti. I think they ran out of budget and did not want to spend the money that year so they moved it into another year but that is a guess on my part.

Tikiman, your page is the best. I have only stayed at Poly once and it was back in the 80's when it still had the 70's remnants, but I go there often and I really like how it is now. Your walk times are very helpful and I hvae referred your site to people who ask me for Poly info.

Upvote 0

tikiman

Tikiman, your page is the best. I have only stayed at Poly once and it was back in the 80's when it still had the 70's remnants, but I go there often and I really like how it is now. Your walk times are very helpful and I hvae referred your site to people who ask me for Poly info.

Thanks Communicore. You have any photos from back in the 70's of the resort? Im always looking for old photos. I am trying to put together a page of stuff that is gone from the Polynesian but it is hard to find old photos.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom