POLL: Will transportation within WDW - (bus/boat/Skyliner/monorail) remain free?

Will transportation within WDW - (bus/boat/Skyliner/monorail) remain free?

• Total voters

JIMINYCR

I have no problem with that.
Neither do I. The post was referring to resort guests being charged for the perk included with their resort booking fees and non staying guests not. My answer to the OP query was that Dis could charge fees for transportation giving different fees for each type of guest.

Ryan120420

I can easily see Disney keeping the Monorail and Skyliner "free" for guests that stay at the hotels they serve and charging everyone else a fee to ride those two modes of transportation.

In Bob Chapek's Disney, nothing is off the table.

ppete1975

I dont see logistically them doing this. It would be too much of a hassle for the drivers to take money before boarding. The only way they could do that is make you buy a transportation pass daily or ensure you had your magic band linked to your account. The main reason i dont see it happening besides the bad optics and more outrage that I dont think they are ready for after some other mistakes over the last few years, is that transportation is already on a pretty tight time schedule. Even though they have physical needs patrons factored into time, the EVs, wheel chairs and even strollers already slow the turnover down massively. If you added in any kind of payment it would slow things down even more. And you would always have the person who doesnt understand because they did no research before coming and dont have anything ready so have to be explained to and then hold up the line while fumbling for payment... or become a karen and create a massive scene that delays things more.

thomas998

Will transportation within WDW - (bus/boat/Skyliner/monorail) remain free?
You are already paying for them, you just don't know it because the cost is imbedded in the price of the resorts and the price of the tickets to the parks. Now I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they verified you were an actual resort guest or had reservations to restaurants at resorts before allowing you on buses or boats to resorts.... They might even start charging a premium for people taking the monorail from the transportation center to push more people to use the boats. But don't assume they are free right now, they aren't given the premium price of resorts and parks.

thomas998

But non resort guests are also utilizing transportation and they arent paying through their resort fees.
About the only non-resort guest using the transportation would be the people that stay at hotels nearby which operate busses to drop off guests at the parks. Disney still gets those guests to support the costs through their high park prices. They also are more likely to sell more crap to a guest that goes to multiple parks than to one that stays solely at one and never visits the others. That extra t-shirt from Hollywood Studios more than makes up for the guest using a bus from MK to Studios.

jpinkc

You're already paying for transportation as a resort guest. They have no qualms about raising hotel prices to match their revenue needs, how is this any different?

Disney transportation is already incredibly fragile. They can not afford to have more vehicles and ride shares (except for Minivans) on their already congested roads. Disney isn't stupid enough to mess around with this.
Uhm people said that about Magic Pass, Fast Pass etc, so the Bean Counters will find a way. Yes I am married to a Bean Counter so I can say this. But seriously it would not surprise me in the least, gotta boost those record profits and take away anything that resembles the Heart/Soul of the what used to be called the Disney Experience/Difference. I understand and want TWDC to thrive, but the outright corporate greed, they and other large companies display in the last 20 years is excessive. They (Bean Counters) dont understand what made WDW/DL experience special. I hope TWDC doesnt have another Dark Time for the company (movies not making money), because when it happens the Parks may not be able to carry the company thru it again, if they keep up the current charge more and not do anything in return

Disstevefan1

Original Poster
You are already paying for them, you just don't know it because the cost is imbedded in the price of the resorts and the price of the tickets to the parks. Now I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they verified you were an actual resort guest or had reservations to restaurants at resorts before allowing you on buses or boats to resorts.... They might even start charging a premium for people taking the monorail from the transportation center to push more people to use the boats. But don't assume they are free right now, they aren't given the premium price of resorts and parks.
Parking at the resorts used to be “free” ; as you say, part of the premium price of resorts and parks, but they decided to make parking an extra charge so the nightly rates, resort fees and now parking fees can all be raised independently.

Transportation is next…

JIMINYCR

About the only non-resort guest using the transportation would be the people that stay at hotels nearby which operate busses to drop off guests at the parks. Disney still gets those guests to support the costs through their high park prices. They also are more likely to sell more crap to a guest that goes to multiple parks than to one that stays solely at one and never visits the others. That extra t-shirt from Hollywood Studios more than makes up for the guest using a bus from MK to Studios.
Sure, I know that but my response was related to if resort guests were going to be charged for the usage of onsite transportation, then its only fair to charge non resort guests as well who arent paying through their resort stay.

erasure fan1

They (Bean Counters) dont understand what made WDW/DL experience special.
They don't understand because they don't care. By the time the floor drops out, the people who jacked it all up will have made bank and be long gone. At that point it's someone else's problem. As for now, leach all the profits you can, no matter what you need to cut or standards you need to lower.

JoeCamel

Guests were “already paying” for resort parking as well.

Guests are paying for landscaping as well, perhaps Disney could add on a “landscaping fee” to the resort bill?
Its called a resort fee in most places, money for nothing is what I call it. What, are they afraid to charge what they need for profit? They have to hide it in the fees?

Disstevefan1

Original Poster
Its called a resort fee in most places, money for nothing is what I call it. What, are they afraid to charge what they need for profit? They have to hide it in the fees?
Charging parking separate from resort fees and room rates allow them to increase all three of them independently over time. :)

Last edited:

cranbiz

While I do believe that transportation will remain free, I could see them consider charging at some point. For buses, instead of deleting the token pedestal, leave them in the order for new buses, install a token dispenser at each resort, park and DS. Board the bus, drop a token. Need tokens, magic band to charge to your account or have a CC reader at the dispenser.

Personally, I think it would be a huge mistake but with $lappie in charge, who knows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom