Poll: Should Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid go in Magic Kingdom or in DisneySea (Mermaid Lagoon land) in my Disney resort?

Should Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid go in Magic Kingdom or in DisneySea?

• Total voters

KentB3

Original Poster
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Disney theme park I discussed many times here on the park. A lot has happened since I first posted my proposal in 2003 in terms of Disney's theme parks and I have learned a lot more about the parks themselves. Eventually, I settled on three parks for my complete buildout with these parks: Magic Kingdom, Disney Studios, and DisneySea (names are tentative, but these parks are basically similar to their counterparts in other parks).

In the recent Fantasyland expansion at WDW's Magic Kingdom, one of the new attractions included is Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid (a dark ride), along with an Ariel's Grotto-like "meet and greet area". Problem is if this ride would seem out of place in Magic Kingdom with an entire Little Mermaid themed land (Mermaid Lagoon) in my DisneySea park, similar to the land in Tokyo DisneySea. However, this dark ride is not included at all among the attractions in TDS's Mermaid Lagoon; which is a very unique land, with many of the attractions indoors!

What I am trying to figure out is if the Little Mermaid dark ride would look out of place in Magic Kingdom with the Mermaid Lagoon land in my DisneySea park, and would much better fit in this land in at DisneySea, or not. I am including a poll with this post.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Disney theme park I discussed many times here on the park. A lot has happened since I first posted my proposal in 2003 in terms of Disney's theme parks and I have learned a lot more about the parks themselves. Eventually, I settled on three parks for my complete buildout with these parks: Magic Kingdom, Disney Studios, and DisneySea (names are tentative, but these parks are basically similar to their counterparts in other parks).

In the recent Fantasyland expansion at WDW's Magic Kingdom, one of the new attractions included is Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid (a dark ride), along with an Ariel's Grotto-like "meet and greet area". Problem is if this ride would seem out of place in Magic Kingdom with an entire Little Mermaid themed land (Mermaid Lagoon) in my DisneySea park, similar to the land in Tokyo DisneySea. However, this dark ride is not included at all among the attractions in TDS's Mermaid Lagoon; which is a very unique land, with many of the attractions indoors!

What I am trying to figure out is if the Little Mermaid dark ride would look out of place in Magic Kingdom with the Mermaid Lagoon land in my DisneySea park, and would much better fit in this land in at DisneySea, or not. I am including a poll with this post.
I personally think that kf you have a land based fully around a single IP, that should be the only place focused on the IP. Unless its some major franchise like Star Wars or Marvel.

So, if you have a Little Mermaid land, the main Little Mermaid ride/grotto should be there.

Maybe take this as a challenge to rework the ride (which has had a sort of mixed reception) so it starts and ends in Triton's castle under the sea so it fits seemlessly in Mermaid Lagoon. Or starts inside Mermaid Lagoon (under the sea) and ends outisde (on the land). Something like that!

KentB3

Original Poster
I personally think that kf you have a land based fully around a single IP, that should be the only place focused on the IP. Unless its some major franchise like Star Wars or Marvel.

So, if you have a Little Mermaid land, the main Little Mermaid ride/grotto should be there.

Maybe take this as a challenge to rework the ride (which has had a sort of mixed reception) so it starts and ends in Triton's castle under the sea so it fits seemlessly in Mermaid Lagoon. Or starts inside Mermaid Lagoon (under the sea) and ends outisde (on the land). Something like that!

You have a good point. This likely is the reason that Peter Pan's Flight will soon move from Tokyo Disneyland to a Neverland-themed port at Tokyo DisneySea, which will get a new, improved version of the ride. No word has been said on its replacement in TDL, but it has been rumored that a version Princess Fairytale Hall (similar to Magic Kingdom's) may move in its space.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
You have a good point. This likely is the reason that Peter Pan's Flight will soon move from Tokyo Disneyland to a Neverland-themed port at Tokyo DisneySea, which will get a new, improved version of the ride. No word has been said on its replacement in TDL, but it has been rumored that a version Princess Fairytale Hall (similar to Magic Kingdom's) may move in its space.
It would be a shame to see ride space be replaced with M&Gs. But special, designated areas like Fairytale Hall do make the character experience a more magical thing in a lot of ways and decreases waits for characters. So, I get it

KentB3

Original Poster
It would be a shame to see ride space be replaced with M&Gs. But special, designated areas like Fairytale Hall do make the character experience a more magical thing in a lot of ways and decreases waits for characters. So, I get it

This has not been confirmed at all, it's just a rumor at this point!

stitchcastle

as an attraction on its own, I think The Little Mermaid dark ride works better in a Magic Kingdom style park than it would as part of Mermaid Lagoon. A lot of the visual storytelling in the ride are already incorporated at a grander scale into the "Port" and a ride abbreviating everything there would just be redundant, especially duplicating the land-to-sea transition in the ride. The one thing that needs to be incorporated into Mermaid Lagoon are the songs from the movie. Which I supposed is why Tokyo instead went for a theater show that heavily features them.

I honestly think there's nothing wrong with having both Mermaid Lagoon at DisneySea and also having the Mermaid ride in the Magic Kingdom but if you're going to have a full-on Mermaid area anyway, I'd nix the ride altogether and give the space for Mermaid at MK to a different fairy tale attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom