Poll: It's a Small World load area?

Which version of the IaSW load area do you prefer?

• The original 1971-2005 open, colorful look

Votes: 103 73.0%
  • The 2005-present Disneyland-esque look

Votes: 38 27.0%

• Total voters

Animaniac93-98

I’m partial to the indoor Tokyo refurb that made the first turn into a show scene.

WDW’s expanded sets, better staging, and flooded rooms have always had an edge over DL’s beautiful façade; DL’s interior is obviously the temporary 1964 World’s Fair version put on permanent display.

I like that Tokyo did something unique, that still fit the aesthetic of the original (minus Mickey and Minnie in front of the castle).

But Tokyo also benefits from having the full clock tower facade outside.

tirian

I like that Tokyo did something unique, that still fit the aesthetic of the original (minus Mickey and Minnie in front of the castle).

But Tokyo also benefits from having the full clock tower facade outside.
Florida could easily keep the current queue, yet add the sea dragon and boat right after you pass beneath the control tower. Then the windows from Pinocchio’s Village Haus would face the new entrance diorama.

It wouldn’t require the drop ceiling or room from Tokyo. It could be in the open air—a sort of indoor version of DL’s exterior topiaries. It would also help hide the metal structures from the load ramp.

Brer Panther

Florida could easily keep the current queue, yet add the sea dragon and boat right after you pass beneath the control tower. Then the windows from Pinocchio’s Village Haus would face the new entrance diorama.
Disneyland's version has a sea dragon, too.

1597713700693.png

Wouldn't mind seeing this guy come to the Magic Kingdom's version. Disney World is running low on animatronic sea serpents nowadays.

Come to think of it, could this guy be the only sea serpent in all of Disneyland? The sea serpent from World of Motion isn't still hanging around Disney's California Adventure, is he?

tirian

Disneyland's version has a sea dragon, too.

View attachment 491593

Wouldn't mind seeing this guy come to the Magic Kingdom's version. Disney World is running low on animatronic sea serpents nowadays.

Come to think of it, could this guy be the only sea serpent in all of Disneyland? The sea serpent from World of Motion isn't still hanging around Disney's California Adventure, is he?
This always feels so out of place like it was brought in from another ride and just stuck in there - the design style and plastic material just feels “wrong”. Maybe it’s just me.

I agree; Tokyo’s sea serpent is properly designed for IASW.

Twirlnhurl

I think the former exit ramp was reconfigured to have a more gentle slope for ADA reasons as well. Personally, I don't have strong opinions one way or the other, but I like that more of the queue is now under the roof than when the entrance was on the other side.

Brer Panther

Here is a video for anyone interested.

Just out of curiosity, what else besides the load area and the sign was changed with the 2005 refurb? I think the music in the finale was changed a little (there's now an extra chorus) and I know the clown in the hot air balloon isn't holding up a sign reading "HELP" anymore, but anything else?

At least we still have the lego boi at Disney Springs... Classic.
I wasn't sure if he was still there. But yeah, he's great.

Brer Oswald

I don’t remember the original queue. But I remember when they were updating it. At the time, I had a strange fear of IaSW, and I was somewhat happy it was closed during our trip.

With the New Fantasyland updates, it has become more and more apparent how out of date and ugly the facades to Small World And Peter Pan are. The tent style has passed its prime long ago (and it isn’t even the charming retro tents of Disneyland’s past. It gives off an “early 2000s temporary” feeing.) This is even more apparent with the modifications to Pooh’s “facade”.

Hopefully they get updated in the next 15-20 years.

Homemade Imagineering

The pre-2005 I liked better, although I've been on the 1964 World's Fair version prior to it being dismantled and sent to California in 1965:

View attachment 495840View attachment 495841

Wow, you’re so lucky to have experienced the attraction in its first incarnation! I’m glad most of the sets and animatronics (although their movements have changed a bit) are still at Disneyland to this day! Also, the 1964 version did look a bit more animated to me for some reason. Probably because the doll’s movements looked more programmed, and were more jerky. How do you feel about my statement since you actually rode it in person?

the-reason14

I think the original facade was “cute” when it was there, but I do not thing it would have held up well into 2020 or even past 2005. I much prefer the nod to DL’s facade. DL’s IASW facade is clearly superior, while the inside/show room portion is superior in WDW. Even though that has nothing to do with the facade, I’m glad we have what we have now, if anything maybe a new paint scheme would be nice.

AdventureHasAName

This thread made me realize, that the ride really belongs as part of the host pavilion (America) at EPCOT Center. If they moved it there (freeing up prime Fantasyland real estate), do you think it would be more popular? I do.

Brer Oswald

This thread made me realize, that the ride really belongs as part of the host pavilion (America) at EPCOT Center. If they moved it there (freeing up prime Fantasyland real estate), do you think it would be more popular? I do.
Thematically, it fits well in Epcot. However, it has established itself as quintessential Fantasyland. It’s identity is entwined in the land, and the land’s identity is entwined in Small World, much like it is with Pan and Dumbo.

Also, world peace is quite a Fantasy 😜

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom